THREE Good, Cheap Red Wines

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
A trustworthy and knowledgeable wine merchant ranks right up there with an authentic NYC-style pizzeria and a good Chinese takeout joint in determining a community's livability.

Having found a good pizzeria and an acceptable Chinese place (a little on the bland side for my taste, but they'll gladly season to order), I'm happy to report that I've also settled on a new wine merchant, largely because she turned me on to these three excellent, inexpensive red wines:

Masseria del Fauno Sangiovese (2009)
Masseria del Fauno Primitivo (2009)
LAB Vinho Regional Lisboa Tinto (2010)

Without a doubt, these are three of the best wines I've ever tried in the < $10.00 / bottle range.

Life is good.

-Rich

Last edited:
I just wish I could find a good wine that isn't Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Pinot Noir or the occasional Syrah or Malbec. Of course, I have discovered a few Red Zinfandels that weren't nearly as bad as white Zinfandel. We took a tour of some Napa Valley wineries a few years ago, and the guide at one of them referred to white Zinfendels as "ode de cash flo" because they are so cheap to make.

But even with our boring reds, life would be worse without them.

I just wish I could find a good wine that isn't Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Pinot Noir or the occasional Syrah or Malbec. Of course, I have discovered a few Red Zinfandels that weren't nearly as bad as white Zinfandel. We took a tour of some Napa Valley wineries a few years ago, and the guide at one of them referred to white Zinfendels as "ode de cash flo" because they are so cheap to make.

But even with our boring reds, life would be worse without them.

Have you considered any non-California wines? Don't get me wrong: I love California wines. I especially like that you can buy them in, like, any hardware store in California.

But there's a big wine world out there. I've always liked the Italian wines (particularly from the Puglia and Toscana regions); and some of the Portuguese and Chilean wines I've tried in the past few years have been extraordinary -- and inexpensive.

The Primitivo is the same grape as the Red Zin, by the way, and it does very well in the Mediterranean soil and climate.

-Rich

When we traveled Europe, we found a huge selection that we loved. But we can't find them here. If it wasn't for their governments I might have stayed over there. But at the risk of being sent to the SZ, the way things are going here, I might move over there where at least they have great wine.

1. Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel
2. Perryman Zinfandel
3. Ménage a trois red

I need to check out the Zins. I am stuck on Cabs. Having lived in Norcal, I spent too much time in Santa Rosa, and the Russian River Valley, not to metion Mustards Grill in Napa. :rolleyes:

1. Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel
2. Perryman Zinfandel
3. Ménage a trois red

I will give another +1 on Ménage a Trois. It is made by Folie a Deux Winery and is under $10. It is definately hard to find a good red in that price range. Barberas and tempranillos are other good varietals that can be had at a reasonable price and taste great.

I can recommend two good reds:

Heartstrings 2010 Zinfandel (California)
and
Code Purple 2009 Syrah (Washington)

Of course, you can't buy those wines. I own the entire production run.
If you drop in at NC26 you might wrangle a bottle for free however.

I need to check out the Zins. I am stuck on Cabs. Having lived in Norcal, I spent too much time in Santa Rosa, and the Russian River Valley, not to metion Mustards Grill in Napa. :rolleyes:

Mmmm Mustards. Their "hanger steak" is my favorite! That place has become over the top expensive though.

I used to be in to cabs, but I'm in to zins mostly now, and sauvignon and fume blancs for Summer white wines.

I'll let AOPA pick my wines, thank you very much.

:goofy:

Two Buck Chuck is ONLY okay if you limit yourself to one glass. After that.....holy crap that is the WORST wine to get a hangover on. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Heh. I think in another thread I've posted that I've been to some nice wine tastings and always choose the stuff everyone else hates. ;)

Probably should just stick to Scotch. My taste buds are apparently backassward for wine. ;)

Back