thread closed

THAT'S what Congress needs to look at: Keeping the airlines viable by ensuring pilots are available.

Be careful what you ask for.

And the only way to do that is to foster a strong General Aviation.

Because no, that's not the only way to do it. Another way would be to start a taxpayer-funded pilot training program run by a new department at the FAA and to pay people to attend. Upon completion, the pilots would fly as civil service employees and airlines would be taxed proportionally to the number of gov't pilot flight hours.

Or something even worse. Imagine an AmTrak of the skies.

Which way do you think Congress would go?

Because no, that's not the only way to do it. Another way would be to start a taxpayer-funded pilot training program run by a new department at the FAA and to pay people to attend. Upon completion, the pilots would fly as civil service employees and airlines would be taxed proportionally to the number of gov't pilot flight hours.
You have this pretty suspiciously thought out... are we sure that you're not covertly on this subcommittee too? ;)

If that is all an intern does, there is something wrong with the company / management.

When I worked for a living, I always put interns to work on real projects.
Now, my students intern at a lot of different companies and they are doing real engineering work.

My interns have done real engineering work as well. I do not, however, think political interns actually do political work.

No... I know that. Right out of high school, I was working towards a political science degree, and one of the assignments was to intern for a local political party. Let's just say it was associated with elephants. I stuffed mailers, posted flyers, answered telephones, and made runs for donuts. I liked making donut runs because I would get first dibs at the Danishes and apple fritters. I made the coffee once. And only once. I was really bad at it. About the most exciting thing I ever did was drive a visiting state assemblywoman on the desert mountain roads above a major project in my dusty little two seater pickup while her camera crew followed.

You always smell a troll! ;)
Only when I see a thread that is guaranteed to spool up the denizens from a one-time only poster. Apparently I'm the only one with the cognitive abilities to put these things together, both a surprise and a pity.

Only when I see a thread that is guaranteed to spool up the denizens from a one-time only poster. Apparently I'm the only one with the cognitive abilities to put these things together, both a surprise and a pity.
Just because you can imagine something doesn't make it true.

Last edited:

He's not a one-time only poster, Columbo.

He's not a one-time only poster, Columbo.
I get a whiff of sudden change of employment from Delta Air Lines. Aroma of kerosene with notes of bovine offal.

Last edited:
If that is all an intern does, there is something wrong with the company / management.

When I worked for a living, I always put interns to work on real projects.
Now, my students intern at a lot of different companies and they are doing real engineering work.

I had a co-op job (similar to an internship) working for the contractor building Lower Granite Lock and Dam while I was an undergrad EE student at WSU back in 1974/75. Believe me, I worked on real projects. In fact, that final semester in 1975 the electrical engineer for the contractor quit and they didn't replace him. I was the electrical engineer for the contractor for my final semester. So, yes, interns can wind up doing real projects.

I got to intern at the NSA in Ft Meade. I could tell ya what I did, but… well you know the rest!

The OP never represented he had an effect on legislation. I'm sure he's what he is at face value, an intern with an interest in aviation.

Back