Thoughts on videogames

Oh and one can't forget "Night Driver" on the Atari 2600. Looks just like my winter commute home nowadays. Ha

anyone remember bolo?

I only play iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls recently. See, I'm a weaboo hipster, and Love Live Schol Idol Festival is no good since it's officially in English.

Back in the late nineties one of my buddies used to go to a gaming night with his pals. it was sort of like poker night, but with laptops and video games. They'd interface them (with Scuzzies, I think, no wifi back then) and play stuff like Star Craft.

They stopped awhile ago, I never got into it. I already have sufficient vices, thank you. Wouldn't mind indulging a few in a poker night, either...

Ethernet. They used ethernet. No way they used SCSI cables. That would be almost as bad as token ring.

Currently seriously addicted to ground forces on war thunder - have t5 tanks in American and German trees.

I've been playing iRacing, which is an auto racing simulator. All the participants are human, no computer generated cars. If you like car racing, you'd probably like it,if you don't, you probably wouldn't.

Ethernet. They used ethernet. No way they used SCSI cables. That would be almost as bad as token ring.

Token ring...what a Novell idea!! :rofl:

My only video game currently is FSX, but I started games when you coded them yourself to the tape on the Commodore 16...

Jim

Last edited:
"YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST. A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND DOWN A GULLY."

Long before there was video in a video game!

-Skip

Yep, reams and reams of barred tractor feed paper pulling up from the box on the floor . . . .

I have been a huge video game fan since the beginning. I played Atari when they came out, but never owned one. Mostly played in arcades. Space Invaders, Asteroids and Galaga being my favorites. I also played a lot of this cheesy Star Trek game that was written in Basic on my Dad's homebuilt Radio Shack PC. The program was loaded on a cassette tape.

Then one day I got a copy of Castle Wolfenstein and at that time my girlfriend (now wife) had a PC at home for work, so I could play Wolfenstein. I got hooked on FPS. We eventually got a Mac as I have also been a Mac guy since the Apple II in high school. When we had that machine, I was turned onto Marathon which was written for Mac. I played all those titles to the bitter end and eventually Doom and Duke Nukem as well.

Then I got my first console. A Nintendo 64. Played all the James Bond titles like Golden Eye and Banjo Kazooie as well. Then came the original Xbox and my introduction to Halo. Played the hell out of Halo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then came Xbox Live with the Xbox 360. Halo 2, 3 and ODST and Reach, but I switched franchises to COD so I could play with some people I actually knew and never left.

Started with COD World at War and have played every single title released since. Currently on Black Ops III. I only play online multiplayer and sometimes the Zombies. I try the Campaigns, but I get bored with them and never finish them. If I'm going to do a campaign, I'd play Halo, their campaigns are much better.

I also have played other games on the Xbox, like Gears of War, Left For Dead, Banjo Toowie, Nutz N Bolts, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc, but I can't shake the COD bug now. I tend to obsess and I have chosen COD to be obsessive about.

Played last night and did alright. I'm 52. A bunch grumpy old men on pilot's forums will tell you that GA is in decline because all the kids want to do is play video games these days. I'm here to tell you that that is hogwash. The two are not mutually exclusive. I play video games and I own a plane.

Oh yeah... I obsess about Angry Birds and Solitare on my phone too!!

Last edited:
TF2, BF4, CoD:MW2 (oh yeah), War Thunder, a ton of steam games, DCS, Arma 3...

Didn't jump on the BF4 bandwagon because of how EA is nowadays (60 bucks for the game 60 bucks for dlc 60 bucks for...) but in the recent xmas sale it was down to $20 and I picked it up for me and my dad. I got him into BF2 a while ago and then CoD:MW2 and he loves it. Now he's liking BF4 and it's really fun to play with him at the same time.

I have Steam if any of you guys want to do internet things :lol: same as user here.

(Can't stand ground forces, I suck at tanks. I will shoot at them with my 75mm Hs-129B3 though!)

01.jpg

@Dav8or
Your taste in games pretty much mirrors mine. I jumped on the COD bandwagon (from halo 2) when the first modern warfare came out. I enjoyed halo 5s return to arena combat (no loadouts) but COD pulls me back in.

I guess I could put my gamertags on here if anyone wants to pad their friendslist
Xbox Live Falcon Kidding (idk if its capitalized or not)
Steam Falcon Kidding or ragingp3nguin
Battlenet scaliavi#1594 (i think thats it)

Last edited:
Also, you guys who play CoD Black Ops 3 have probably seen the trailer.

images

I went to high school with "Kevin" :D

Also @falconkidding I also play HOTS occasionally as well :D

I have Steam if any of you guys want to do internet things :lol: same as user here.

Also on Steam but have almost no games in there that aren't ten or more years old. What's good these days?

It'll only take me all weekend to download one on my rockin' "rural broadband"... LOL.

Only thing I've really wanted to get into lately is Kerbal Space Program and I got so sidetracked into watching Scott Manley's videos about it (and the entire freaking series on Interstellar mod that he did pre-release) that I still haven't really played it. Haha. I can't seem to be interested much in the other games he plays and records on YouTube but I was totally addicted to his Interstellar Quest series.

I think it took me three months to go through the whole thing end to end just watching him play with crap and send stuff all over the place while making snide comments as he went along.

And of course I keep meaning to set up something to do a flight sim and PilotEdge but never get around to it...

Ihm Scott Manhley, Flyy seyhf!

Love his accent :p I like KSP but I've been building a lot more aerospace than rockets lately. There's a multiplayer mod out there...

BF4 and all the DLC came out to 65 gb on size. Good content but :hairraise:!

Also, here you go, on Steam, for your bandwidth :wink2:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286790/

ss_18f8291b0ce9c5aa0d8c49c367baae34b111d108.600x338.jpg

I'm sure if we get together on Steam we could find a few games we all have in common and play those. Maybe a POA steam group? :lol:

I do have two extra copies of Guns of Icarus - think airships and steampunk and CRM.

ss_9c9b22ec2d7a075d1ab91c320c423177ceee77db.600x338.jpg

Last edited:
Ihm Scott Manhley, Flyy seyhf!

Also, here you go, on Steam, for your bandwidth :wink2:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286790/

ss_18f8291b0ce9c5aa0d8c49c367baae34b111d108.600x338.jpg

Haha nice Scott "accent" done in text. LOL! Perfect.

As far as the bandwidth thing and Falcon... You sure know how to hurt a guy. ROFL.

Now that the tower project is on hold until Spring, I can't attempt the shot at the tower for the wireless ISP to my south where they tempt me with tales of a whopping 15 meg down/2 up. Hahaha. I'm stuck on 5/1 until then. Ouch.

I have a friend in th satellite data biz who keeps telling me to get that. I've looked at their caps and mountain of complaints from other users and just politely ignore him. Haha. Xceed or whatever their latest name for what became of WildBlue, or whatever/however that all worked out.

If I win powerball, one of the first phone calls is to buddies in the tower/microwave biz and an order placed to stick backbone speed rated microwave dishes up from town on every tower between here and there and drag at least a DS-3 sized pipe out here. All mine. Not sharing. Hahaha.

CenturyLink will do 1.5/800 or something like that out here. LOL. Stellar!

Honestly the best I can do out here is on one of the big LTE carriers with an outside antenna pointed at a cell site and that'd be capped. I've even thought about hacking together a Linux router that would handle multiple upstreams from cell, satellite, and the wireless ISP and "teaching" it to route certain things over different pipes both by speed needed and time of day (satellite has "unlimited" time late at night, for example, and I'd send stuff there for overnight software updates, etc...), but that's way too much work to still end up with an individual stream still only maxing out at some single digit number of Mb/sec. Haha.

Most of the DIA lanyards say "fly safe" on them and every time I read it I hear it in his voice. I could always sneakernet you big games, I did that for my dad who is in a crappy place with Internet and mifi use. I am currently on 100mpbs down and it still took me forever to download 65gb...relatively.

I have been a huge video game fan since the beginning. I played Atari when they came out, but never owned one. Mostly played in arcades. Space Invaders, Asteroids and Galaga being my favorites. I also played a lot of this cheesy Star Trek game that was written in Basic on my Dad's homebuilt Radio Shack PC. The program was loaded on a cassette tape.

Then one day I got a copy of Castle Wolfenstein and at that time my girlfriend (now wife) had a PC at home for work, so I could play Wolfenstein. I got hooked on FPS. We eventually got a Mac as I have also been a Mac guy since the Apple II in high school. When we had that machine, I was turned onto Marathon which was written for Mac. I played all those titles to the bitter end and eventually Doom and Duke Nukem as well.

Then I got my first console. A Nintendo 64. Played all the James Bond titles like Golden Eye and Banjo Kazooie as well. Then came the original Xbox and my introduction to Halo. Played the hell out of Halo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then came Xbox Live with the Xbox 360. Halo 2, 3 and ODST and Reach, but I switched franchises to COD so I could play with some people I actually knew and never left.

Started with COD World at War and have played every single title released since. Currently on Black Ops III. I only play online multiplayer and sometimes the Zombies. I try the Campaigns, but I get bored with them and never finish them. If I'm going to do a campaign, I'd play Halo, their campaigns are much better.

I also have played other games on the Xbox, like Gears of War, Left For Dead, Banjo Toowie, Nutz N Bolts, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc, but I can't shake the COD bug now. I tend to obsess and I have chosen COD to be obsessive about.

Played last night and did alright. I'm 52. A bunch grumpy old men on pilot's forums will tell you that GA is in decline because all the kids want to do is play video games these days. I'm here to tell you that that is hogwash. The two are not mutually exclusive. I play video games and I own a plane.

Oh yeah... I obsess about Angry Birds and Solitare on my phone too!!

I recommend you google MAME. I am sure you will find hours of free enjoyment.

As far as first person shooters go on Xbox 360, I loved Left 4 Dead2, and Team Fortress 2 (included in the Orange Box). The Halo series was great.

On the PC, I really enjoyed Battle Field 2-- I thought the music was really cool, and the maps were great. Nothing was more fun then getting a good squad that worked as a team together and kicking ass. But for some reason, people started using VoIP applications outside of the program, and I never really had a good way of getting in a good squad. I guess folks wanted to join guilds, and only talk to themselves. I just wanted to hop on when I wanted and just try to get in a random group that cooperated.

My last two years of high school, 1981-82, I was an avid Defender player. Another kid from Chicago and I were leapfrogging each other for the national high score for a couple months in early 1982. I can't remember which of us finally came out on top, but I remember my last game lasted 31 hours before I finally just walked away from it. Some lucky kid in the arcade inherited about 300 lives!

Was equally good at Defender Stargate in college but didn't have much time to play. Was just lucky that we had a standup Stargate machine in my eating club.

A few years ago I bought my son a PS3 and three of the "Uncharted" games. He left it all at home when he left for college so I dusted it off and gave it a try. Actually found it to be pretty fun and entertaining. I'm working my way through "Uncharted 2" right now. Good way to kill time when the day is done and I'm not yet feeling sleepy.

As far as first person shooters go on Xbox 360, I loved Left 4 Dead2, and Team Fortress 2 (included in the Orange Box). The Halo series was great.

On the PC, I really enjoyed Battle Field 2-- I thought the music was really cool, and the maps were great. Nothing was more fun then getting a good squad that worked as a team together and kicking ass. But for some reason, people started using VoIP applications outside of the program, and I never really had a good way of getting in a good squad. I guess folks wanted to join guilds, and only talk to themselves. I just wanted to hop on when I wanted and just try to get in a random group that cooperated.

BF2 was fantastic. Best battlefield with 2142 being a close second in my book. Medic favorite class. I played a mod of bf2 called Sandbox and was a server admin for a year or two. Great squads were unstoppable. I'm a little disappointed in the way BF does squads now but it feels like bf2 again. Bf4 even has Easter eggs from bf2 like the old gulf of Oman theme playing in the elevator on the gulf of Oman map, the dragon valley theme still being the same and the jeep/DPV horns being the same. Nostalgia!

My last two years of high school, 1981-82, I was an avid Defender player. Another kid from Chicago and I were leapfrogging each other for the national high score for a couple months in early 1982. I can't remember which of us finally came out on top, but I remember my last game lasted 31 hours before I finally just walked away from it. Some lucky kid in the arcade inherited about 300 lives!

You should watch this movie. It was great. I think you would like it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Was equally good at Defender Stargate in college but didn't have much time to play. Was just lucky that we had a standup Stargate machine in my eating club.

Another person who should check out MAME. But you might lose a few months of your life.

Best battlefield with 2142 being a close second in my book.

I enjoyed 2142. I really like the set up with each team having a space ship to defend from assault. But by that time, it was really hard for me to find good squads since I didn't want to devote time to try to join a guild. Working together made all the difference in that game, but I could never find anyone that really wanted to do so on a regular basis.

Most of the DIA lanyards say "fly safe" on them and every time I read it I hear it in his voice. I could always sneakernet you big games, I did that for my dad who is in a crappy place with Internet and mifi use. I am currently on 100mpbs down and it still took me forever to download 65gb...relatively.

Appreciate the offer but I've got work bandwidth for that (currently 100 Mb/s symmetrical at the office) and unlimited TMo where I can tether to a phone when in the "big city" too, so plenty of ways to grab bits.

Only thing that's difficult is dragging the home Steam machine to said bandwidth for Steam stuff.

It'd be nifty if Steam would do local sync between two machines on a LAN. Download on laptop and take it home and let desktop suck it out of laptop.

Dropbox and others do that with good success.

And I've wanted Foreflight to do that forever too. Seems really stupid to download things multiple times.

A few years ago I bought my son a PS3 and three of the "Uncharted" games. He left it all at home when he left for college so I dusted it off and gave it a try. Actually found it to be pretty fun and entertaining. I'm working my way through "Uncharted 2" right now. Good way to kill time when the day is done and I'm not yet feeling sleepy.

Defender was and is my only vice. I wrote an article about it.

Maybe you can answer a question for me, Colojo. There was a rumor back then that the Air Force was secretly recruiting great players of Defender because the dexterity was favorable to fighters. Any truth to that?

between about 9:30 and 10:30 I sit on the couch and either play a video game or watch a tv show, depending on my mood. The last month I have been swapping between the tv shows Blacklist, Persons of interest, Fifa, and Grand Theft auto.
I also will take a few hours a week off to fly on Prepar3D w/ pilotedge. Especially when I haven't been flying much.
Video games are fun and a good way to relax, but if people don't put a time and timer on them they can consume your life.

I play A LOT of video games.

History: Atari 400, Commodore 64, arcade, Apple II, PC, Sega, PS3, PS4, Wii, iPad, Moto X.

Right now I mostly play Ingress, Minecraft, CoD...in that order. I play around 5 or 6 hours a day on a heavy day and 2 or 3 on a light day.

And then there is my job flying an A320 which is pretty much a video game too...70 hours or so a month.

I play A LOT of video games.

History: Atari 400, Commodore 64, arcade, Apple II, PC, Sega, PS3, PS4, Wii, iPad, Moto X.

Right now I mostly play Ingress, Minecraft, CoD...in that order. I play around 5 or 6 hours a day on a heavy day and 2 or 3 on a light day.

And then there is my job flying an A320 which is pretty much a video game too...70 hours or so a month.

You play Minecraft? My kids play that for hours on end, but I just don't get the fun part.

You play Minecraft? My kids play that for hours on end, but I just don't get the fun part.

Yeah, its fun. It's like Legos and I don't mean the new ones where you follow the directions to assemble what they designed. I mean the old ones where you could build anything you could imagine.

Minecraft is a platform with no goal by design. You can play a million different ways and none of them are wrong. It even has RedStone which uses electronic logic allowing you to build and under stand logic gates. People have made amazing builds with RedStone and my kids are into it...so I'm into it.

Also, when I'm on the road I can log into a server with my kids and talk via Skype so we do epic adventures together like I'm there. Seriously, Minecraft is an amazing game. If you watch a kid play for 15 seconds its boring. Better to watch for half an hour and try to understand what they're doing...

XBOX360, I will play everyday for a week and then go for months without turning on the TV. I like COD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed, Forza, World of Tanks. I really like games that I can team up with guys I served with and talk since we got out we are all over the US now and never get to see each other. Recently I have gotten into Rocksmith, I could see a new set of games that are used to teach new skills.

I had Pong, Next was Nintendo, or was it Atari first, then it came PC games mostly flight sims. After that I'm not much of a gamer.

Now on the other hand my kids have PS2, PS3, PS 4, Cube, Wii, guitar, xbox 360 hero. I lost track of how many game systems we have.

No kidding. You haven't lived until you are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded up door and a small mailbox nearby. And then later be in a dark place and likely to be eaten by a grue.

I loved Zork! I played that on my Vic 20 and then, years later, discovered EverQuest and WOW before hanging it up. I'm 41 and ran this cool thing in college called a BBS. We had door games and I even offered email accounts with a $10 monthly donation. I was just releasing this thing called an internet gateway when AOL came on to the scene. Oh well, being an Abrams Tank Commander replaced the computer games and the kids take up the WOW time now. ;)

Last edited:
Back