Thoughts on videogames

There is a bar in town that has a huge arcade of 80's and 90's era video games. You play for free while you drink. Beers are pricey but it certainly is a fun place. Still have to pay for the pinball machines, though.

Defender was and is my only vice. I wrote an article about it.

Maybe you can answer a question for me, Colojo. There was a rumor back then that the Air Force was secretly recruiting great players of Defender because the dexterity was favorable to fighters. Any truth to that?

I heard that rumor too... no idea if it was true. My dexterity would have qualified me, but my colorblindness would have been a deal breaker.

I read your article... none of my buddies ever got good enough at Defender for us to play the games you mentioned. That's because none of my buddies really liked it. Wimps!

One small correction: The new lives bug kicked in at 990,000 and then off again at 1,000,000. You even got a new ship if you got killed because even enemy bullets were worth 25 points (go figure).

I've tried a couple of times to acquire old Defender and Stargate machines but the deals always fell through. A lot of the guys that deal in these old machines are kind of shady for some reason.

Last edited:
My kids play minecraft all the damn time... Once a year I'll play a game or two. Normally Call of Duty when it comes out around Thanksgiving. I just do the story and once I get that done that's pretty much it for the year.

This past year, however, I started playing Assasins Creed Syndicate. That got me sucked in pretty bad. Played every other day or so for about 3 weeks. After Christmas break it's all back to normal :)

I loved Zork! I played that on my Vic 20 and then, years later, discovered EverQuest and WOW before hanging it up. I'm 41 and ran this cool thing in college called a BBS. We had door games and I even offered email accounts with a $10 monthly donation. I was just releasing this thing called an internet gateway when AOL came on to the scene. Oh well, being an Abrams Tank Commander replaced the computer games and the kids take up the WOW time now. ;)

I remember when Door games came out. Heh. My BBS had been running for years at that point.

There is a bar in town that has a huge arcade of 80's and 90's era video games. You play for free while you drink. Beers are pricey but it certainly is a fun place. Still have to pay for the pinball machines, though.

Sounds awesome. I'm glad these old machines have folks willing to keep them going. Especially the pinball machines.

I've played the Doom series, Quake, Left 4 Dead and World of Warcraft.

Wow!
I am surprised so many old folks play games...
I am the type that would rather work extra and make cash to buy airplanes, boats and bikes than sit around playing a game.
If I am so bored to the point I want to play a game I think I will go flip around in my Pitts or ride wheelies on my motorcycle instead. LOL!
My 12 year old son is pretty much like me. He plays games sometimes but not much. He would rather ride his motorcycle, fly with me, hang out at the airport, run around the hood with his friends or something but not sit in the house.
Different stroke for different folks I guess.
If I sat around playing games I would not have anything to fly or ride. I gotta hustle to pay for our weekend toys.

Yes to both... Love the SOCOM series and splinter cell, Call of Duty is over rated.

Wow!
I am surprised so many old folks play games...
I am the type that would rather work extra and make cash to buy airplanes, boats and bikes than sit around playing a game.
If I am so bored to the point I want to play a game I think I will go flip around in my Pitts or ride wheelies on my motorcycle instead. LOL!
My 12 year old son is pretty much like me. He plays games sometimes but not much. He would rather ride his motorcycle, fly with me, hang out at the airport, run around the hood with his friends or something but not sit in the house.
Different stroke for different folks I guess.
If I sat around playing games I would not have anything to fly or ride. I gotta hustle to pay for our weekend toys.

I have a 33 foot boat, 2 Harleys, I hunt and fish, hike, scuba dive, fly, and am working on a 1941 Chevy Business Coupe. Here in Washington, you need something for those "inside days".

Just what I was thinking, sometimes it is just raining or snowing too hard to go out and do anything. When I can get out, I fly, ride (ninja), work on my cars, work on my project car, do yard work/work on the house, build/repair boats, go sailing, scuba, hunting, fishing or go to the range and work on reloading. When I started flying my friends said I had too many hobbies. :yikes: No such thing. They seem to spend most of their time tracking and watching high school, college and pro sports; basketball, football and baseball. To me it seems worthless to know who's getting traded were or so and so is about to go to this college and play for them.

Last edited:
My kids play minecraft all the damn time... Once a year I'll play a game or two. Normally Call of Duty when it comes out around Thanksgiving. I just do the story and once I get that done that's pretty much it for the year.

Oh come on!!! You're then introduced to the new release and warmed up, come join us online and see crazy, challenging and adrenalin pumping it can get! :yes:

Also at times very frustrating.:yes: COD is by far best experienced online against other humans. The campaigns are boring IMO. I much prefer the Halo campaigns if I'm going to just do that.

Back