Thoughts on the DA 62

Even with the reliability of a single turboprop you'd still go twin?

I think we were comparing the Mirage (piston PA46) to the DA62. The turbine, no contest but I would still, being Mr. Conservative, stay in glide of land if possible in the turbine and in the twin, but would get there much quicker in the Turbine.

I think we were comparing the Mirage (piston PA46) to the DA62. The turbine, no contest but I would still, being Mr. Conservative, stay in glide of land if possible in the turbine and in the twin, but would get there much quicker in the Turbine.

I had just seen an article the other day on the M600 and it was pretty slick looking

So the other thread about the new Cirrus got me thinking about the Diamond again.. it's a little more money but I think I would take this instead...

I live in Florida, so the idea of a twin for over water is a bonus rather than parachuting into water
EXACTLY! Yes, twins are more maintenance, and historically they're not necessarily safer, but, if flown correctly, or as easily as the articles make the DA62 seem to be to fly than I would much rather stay in the air and fly to land than just pull the chute and end up in the water waiting for help.. and the speed for the DA62, loads, fuel burn, etc. are pretty impressive. If I was going to take non pilot friends and family flying walking out to the ramp to a twin just by default has a pretty slick "cool" factor

But people are different, and the plane is somewhat "odd" looking, so I give you that

P.S. - other than ditching or over mountainous terrain, is the chute really a go-to tool for power failures? It seems that best glide and landing in a field or road may be a better option, and might result in the plane flying again...

Yes, twins are more maintenance, and historically they're not necessarily safer...

As best as I can tell from the NTSB database, nobody's ever died in a DA42.

nobody's ever died in a DA42
From what I've been told most twin engine failure fatalities are because of improper technique during the engine out.. IE, a wing drops and it spins into the ground. My old instructor always said that in a twin engine the second engine just gets you to the accident scene quicker. Maybe. But from what I've read the Diamonds are very docile on one engine.. at least this article in Flying made me think so: http://www.flyingmag.com/we-fly-diamond-da62

Just remember you have TWICE the chance of an engine failure in a twin (minus the infinitesimal chance of TWO engine failures at the same time). So it is a concern.

No, not spam at all, I posted as I was curious. Info I have further read says 400 FPM on one engine, but I don't recall at what altitude.

JetA is less expensive, and the fuel burn is amazing at 70-80% power. 1000 LB useful with full fuel is not too bad.

I live in Florida, so the idea of a twin for over water is a bonus rather than parachuting into water

With so many airstrips along both sides of the Florida coast why on earth would you parachute into water?

I assume (presume?) that he meant when flying to the Bahamas or down to the Turks and Caicos or if flying towards TX, AL, LA making a short cut over the Gulf

Back