Thoughts on landing on a road

Depends on the road. In western Kansas/eastern Colorado lots of roads are straight for lots of miles and lightly traveled. That makes them runways if you’re me slinging dry in a 602.

I know of one Cirrus pilot who opted to land on a road rather than pull the chute, after an engine failure. It was because the terrain was Florida swamp, and a road seemed preferable.

It worked out for him. But almost anywhere I fly I would opt for the chute rather than land on a road I don’t know.

That being said, I know a retired state patrol officer who used to land his Highway Patrol Super Cub frequently on a county road he knew well and taxi to the diner he liked for lunch.

When landing on a public road, be sure to use your turn signals to notify the drivers of the cars of your intentions....

My concern with landing on a road is killing/maiming some innocent soul who is going about their daily business. I chose to take the risk of flying an aircraft, my pax are aware of the risk and they have taken on that risk. It’s not fair to land on a road unless ABSOLUTELY sure there are no vehicles.

I think I’ve decided that on my local site seeing trips around the lake that if I had an emergency, I’d ditch in the lake near shore over landing in a neighborhood or Smashing into the pine tree forest.

Here's a pilot who made the decision to land on a highway: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/pl...ing-along-highway-in-carroll-county/876034306

The good news was that both plane and pilot live to fly again. The bad news is why he had to make a forced landing. He ran out of fuel.
The same thing happened near me, literally in the shadow of the intended airport. A doctor ran out of fuel, then landed the wrong way on a highway. The front of his 150 went into a minivan. Nobody walked away.

The same thing happened near me, literally in the shadow of the intended airport. A doctor ran out of fuel, then landed the wrong way on a highway. The front of his 150 went into a minivan. Nobody walked away.
You'd think from the air you could see which way the traffic was going! But, I am sure it's easier for me in front of a keyboard than being behind a stopped prop!

You'd think from the air you could see which way the traffic was going! But, I am sure it's easier for me in front of a keyboard than being behind a stopped prop!

I don’t think it matters which way traffic is going. If you’re landing with the traffic chances are you’re faster than it and against the traffic someone may try and avoid you and cause a crash. No good outcome.

Back in the day..... early 1970's, we used to stop traffic on HWY 12 North of Ashland City TN so my Dad could land his Comanche. When he was flying his reserve duty, he showed more restraint. Landed the US Army L-19 or Beaver out behind grandma's house lol

Thoughts:
"Don't hit the wires, don't hit the signs, don't hit the wires, don't hit the signs."
"DON'T HIT THE MAILBOX! DON'T HIT THE CAR!"
"Don't hit the phone pole, don't hit the ditch."
"meh. That wasn't so bad."

When landing on a public road, be sure to use your turn signals to notify the drivers of the cars of your intentions....

What’s they point? They are either texting or busy with something super imp like make up or Facebook

Back