Thoughts on buying used avionics...

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
Three-part question/discussion:

1) I am shopping GTN750xi; there seem to be about a $7000 savings new vs. used. I had no idea they had been out that long. Never purchased used.

2) Anyone made the switch from JPI to Garmin TXi EIS?

3) My first avionics upgrade post-pandemic - I used to figure labor by doubling the avionics' purchase price. (Garmin cost $10,000 which would equal installation labor costing $10,000) Then just be ecstatic when it would come in under; making sure to mention it to my wife we save money. ;)

I haven’t seen discounts like that out there, maybe a couple thousand cheaper but not half off for used, be careful, a lot of scams out there! Make sure your mechanic is open to the idea too.

#1 Don't get scammed, verify the best you can that the unit isn't stolen.

#2 Do you have a shop that will touch it after you buy it? Be aware, you'll likely need Garmin Dealer support for software updates.

#3 Certified airplanes -- Will the installer be a Garmin Dealer that can they legally use the Garmin STC to put it in or do they need a field approval?

#3 Does it come with the install kit, configuration module and tray?

#4 What is the flat repair costs if it breaks? What are your warranty expectations?

I thought the connectors, tray and configuration module was around $1200, and flat rate repairs around $1800 but get that sorted before buying anything.

Used GTN-750Xi kinda scream to me ***if it was a great deal the Garmin Dealers would buy it and resell it***

Last edited:
My thoughts...
I was lucky to be able to buy new from my local Garmin dealer, 3 different trips to get what I wanted. Should have done it all at once and probably saved some money and definitely time. This was in 2018-19. I have needed them for service and advise several times since and they were always very responsive and helpful. I can't imagine going it without them. I would not blame them if they didn't want to install used for me, pretty sure they wouldn't. My AP is not wise enough to manage all that himself, so I needed the avionic shop in a big way. They also setup my Garmin account, registered all my equipment and provided wiring diagrams for my plane. Unless you can do all that on your own I wouldn't buy used.
Good luck.

I would stick with a reputable dealer for any used avionics purchases.

For what it costs to install those boxes I'd go new if at all possible. And that few grand off is going to be peanuts if the thing breaks. Don't ask me how I know.

Why would someone be selling a used Xi? Now a 7k discount on a used straight 750 vs a new 750xi.... that I could believe.

I've seen 750 non-xi for $12k. Avionics are all on back order. Used is seeing a bump in prices. I wouldn't believe you could get an "xi" version for that price.

Im still trying to figure out how some of these shops figure out the amount of labor they charge

No one is saying that used is bad.

But when you see something for sale for thousands less than they are selling for, you have to ask, WHY?

Shortly after buying my first airplane, I bought a used DME from a local shop for what I thought was a great price. Years later during an upgrade, the owner of the shop calls to tell me he can't give me credit for the DME as we had discussed. The serial number and data plate was missing.

First guy saw me coming a mile away. o_O

No one is saying that used is bad. But when you see something for sale for thousands less than they are selling for, you have to ask, WHY?

Same as buying a used car. Only differences are the used car doesn't cost megabucks after you've bought it and doesn't necessarily cost megabucks to fix. That, and if the used car breaks you aren't nearly as likely to die.

Im still trying to figure out how some of these shops figure out the amount of labor they charge
Easy. You figure out the cost of your boat payment, add 25%, multiply the number of hours you spent thinking about the work times the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, and then subtract out the few hundred bucks you paid the high school kid to actually do the wiring.

Easy. You figure out the cost of your boat payment, add 25%, multiply the number of hours you spent thinking about the work times the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, and then subtract out the few hundred bucks you paid the high school kid to actually do the wiring.

lmao....nice

I nearly got sucked into a 650 scam, about five years ago. (pre-Xi)

It was on eBay. I decided I needed more details about shipping, so I searched/called the seller, who told me this was a scam.

The Xi models are about 2.5 years in their run, and while some could be available used, I'd be HIGHLY skeptical.

Non Xi models were released eleven years ago, so they're more believable on the used market, now.

I showed up a bit late to the origins of this. But I think this calls for a picture with a no.2 pencil

Back