Thoughts on Apple's new products?

How did you get your 8 so early? I have to wait until tomorrow to get the best phone ever made. It's what the IPhone will be in about 3 years.
You are probably right. It seems to me that Apple is behind on the iPhone and Apple TV products with technology and features. Maybe even their laptops. I only have an iPhone and an iPad 3. So not that into overpriced Apple stuff.

I was a former Note 7 owner. Placed my order 8/26, got the phone on 9/12. But I have a friend that got one a week ago from VZW.
I was a former note 7 owner as well. I guess I should have ordered through Samsung. I'll drop by best buy today and see if it's there yet.

Yesterday was the first Apple Event at the new Steve Jobs Theater on the new Apple Park.

Highlights were an AppleWatch 3 with cellular.

4k AppleTV.

iPhone 8 and 8+ with mostly evolutionary changes, and...

The iPhone X with no home button, and FaceID taking the place of TouchID.

I like Apple. Have a lot of their stuff. But...

Watch: Copying the Samsung Gear watch adding cellular. Way behind.

AppleTV: No point anymore. Get a Roku or an Amazon Fire TV, they're doing it much better. Or DIY it with Plex. Way behind.

iPhone X: Copies the Samsung S7, including the Samsung made OLED screen. The entire Samsung lineup is ahead of X and X isn't even available yet.

They were the leaders on all of this stuff but the aren't leading anymore. Cook won't be doing anything risky. Ever.

I like Apple. Have a lot of their stuff. But...

Watch: Copying the Samsung Gear watch adding cellular. Way behind.

AppleTV: No point anymore. Get a Roku or an Amazon Fire TV, they're doing it much better. Or DIY it with Plex. Way behind.

iPhone X: Copies the Samsung S7, including the Samsung made OLED screen. The entire Samsung lineup is ahead of X and X isn't even available yet.

They were the leaders on all of this stuff but the aren't leading anymore. Cook won't be doing anything risky. Ever.
I'm fine with all of this as the quality and execution is usually better. Being on the bleeding edge of technology isn't always the best idea. My iphones last a long time compared to the people I know with Samsungs or any of the others.

The acoustic coupling sucks, and my 5SE's "earpiece" is so resonant it hurts to listen to anyone.
Ever occurred to you to try a new set of headphones or their equivalent? Sorry, I listen to music n the phone for about an hour and a half a day, the only time I had problems I threw away the earbuds and have had none since.

I'm guessing there is still no official word on the future of the iPad Mini.

Also interesting that Apple finally decided to include OLED for the first time. This isn't new tech and they could have included it years ago. The keynote said finally there is a good enough OLED to be in an IPhone. Well they don't even have the best OLED in the new phone so that's a little misleading.

It's Samsung's display. Haha. They make it. I doubt they'll sell the best ones to Apple.

I think they specifically said the watch would use your same phone number. There's no SIM slot, but a virtual SIM in the watch. I think it was heavily implied that carriers might impose an additional charge.

As an aside, the event should be up on the Apple site if anyone still wants to check it out.

That's a carrier side thing. T-Mobile rolled similar tech out last year for ALL phones (ring all phones on the account with one number) and it's not ready for prime time. Be interesting to see the weeping and gnashing of teeth when it hits on the VZ and T networks too.

It's kinda like group MMS which is a similar behind the scenes disaster.

I'd settle for Apple finally getting around to making iMessage delete messages across all devices when you delete on one -- which it should have done from the start.

They claim it won't work, but will see in real life. More important question I got from a buddy of mine.... so with facial unlock can his wife hold the phone in front of his face while he is sleeping and it will unlock??? For his sake, I hope not. They did demo that if u aren't looking at it, it won't unlock, but donno if it can determine eyes open vs closed.

Face rec and such have significant new security challenges. But if you don't trust your wife unlocking your phone, you probably have other big problems anyway. :)

I'm fine with all of this as the quality and execution is usually better. Being on the bleeding edge of technology isn't always the best idea. My iphones last a long time compared to the people I know with Samsungs or any of the others.

Everyone says that, but that ended around iPhone 6 or so. The other manufacturers caught up and surpassed Apple in a number of ways from 6 on.

The biggest thing harming Android is the carrier lock on versions with the manufacturers. If you want the best Android experience you have to go with the Google devices where they control the version on the phones and not the carrier. Apple never allowed the carriers to get that much control over iOS, and waiting around for the latest and greatest because a cell carrier thinks they know OSs better than the OS maker, is dumb.

That said, anything "modern" Android is pretty good. And has tons more features than iOS which keeps getting fatter and buggier trying to race downward to meet up with Android.

There's no business model that works to write efficient OS code into mobile devices when the company needs their lifespan to be three years or less to make the Wall Street quarterlies.

But way more interesting for the mobile phone market in the next decade is the bandwidth and spectrum problem. All the carriers went with some form of "unlimited" after nutty Lajere flipped that switch at T-Mobile and now all have pulled it back and restricted it.

And Ergen is still sitting on massive spectrum and is likely to put fake transmitters that do nothing on it just to avoid FCC fines for disuse. (Yes carriers and spectrum "owners" are already doing that -- a lovely side effect of FCC spectrum "auctions" which never should have ever been allowed. Regulators are supposed to manage spectrum, they don't sell it like it's a product. They have a huge conflict of interest there now.) Ergen has people out now meeting with tower operators. He's ten years overdue and just now getting around to having people talk to tower owners. Auctions essentially delayed the turn-up of a lot of spectrum for over a decade.

Microcells and "densification" are only going to take LTE so far. Then it's "why doesn't my $1200 pocket device work worth a crap?"

VZ, the ONLY carrier worth having if you need real connectivity in the boonies in the West, moved their cell site that services my neighborhood seven miles up the road to save money on the site, and clobbered coverage into my neighborhood. The entire neighborhood has noticed on social media and reported it, VZ doesn't care. They know there's no alternative that even works out here.

My iPhone spends the vast majority of its day on wifi. Doing wifi calls. That's an indication that even the carrier with the most spectrum overall can't handle the flood of smartphone users and background apps doing all sorts of things constantly on top of everyone streaming video.

Speaking of streaming video, all the carriers have compressed the holy hell out of even standard HD video at this point and it's "opt out" for the compression. It wasn't "opt-in". I suspect it won't be too long before flipping the "I want my data uncompressed" switch is a pay to play option.

They know they're in serious trouble for spectrum in the next five years. Marketing wank about "unlimited" aside, it at least gave them all an excuse to deploy massive throttling tech and compress the hell out of everything -- you agreed to it when you signed up for "unlimited".

I got a chuckle out of T-Mobile announcing they'd pay for Netflix for all their customers. They're banking on people getting set top boxes that'll do Netflix and getting them off their phones as much as possible with their serious and much deeper spectrum troubles. Kudos to them for turning up 700 MHz so quickly but anything before iPhone 5S/6S won't do band 12, and other Android phones also didn't get band 12 support until right around the same timeframe, so there's still a LOT of devices that can't even use their new spectrum. AT&T also essentially has some new stuff in band 12 spectrum in some markets where T-Mobile doesn't.

They're all in serious trouble spectrum-wise when it comes to video streaming. Heck out here in the West outside of major cities you'll still be hard pressed to keep an audio stream going without multiple stops and starts as you switch sites.

These phones are only as good as the network backing them. Remember the old Sun Microsystems ads in the 90s? "The Network is the Computer"? Yeah, not so much. The Network is overloaded and the experience on the computers is about to hit a "tipping point of suckage". Haha.

Ever occurred to you to try a new set of headphones or their equivalent? Sorry, I listen to music n the phone for about an hour and a half a day, the only time I had problems I threw away the earbuds and have had none since.
I'm talking about the speaker on the phone. Where you put your ear to listen to it. A little hard to change that.

I'm talking about the speaker on the phone. Where you put your ear to listen to it. A little hard to change that.
A relatively inexpensive set of earbuds will give you excellent sound quality. I've had few problems with understanding telephone calls, certainly no more than from any other phone. I wouldn't bother listening to music on the phone speaker, that isn't what it was built for at all.

@denverpilot

Such a pessimist.... :D
A few friends said T-Mobile put in the SEC fillings huge numbers related to towers and spectrum roll out. Since I tend to doubt there financial prowess, I took it with a grain of salt. However this matches what the sales rep told me that T-Mobile has committed to have the most complete coverage in the lower 48 by the end of the year. I normally would not believe the sales guy, but what gives me a glimmer of hope (likely false hope) is that previously T-Mobile and others never had the forward facing statements in SEC filings. Now, I just need someone curious enough to go wade through that crap to see what T-Mobile actually said.

Tim

@denverpilot

Such a pessimist.... :D
A few friends said T-Mobile put in the SEC fillings huge numbers related to towers and spectrum roll out. Since I tend to doubt there financial prowess, I took it with a grain of salt. However this matches what the sales rep told me that T-Mobile has committed to have the most complete coverage in the lower 48 by the end of the year. I normally would not believe the sales guy, but what gives me a glimmer of hope (likely false hope) is that previously T-Mobile and others never had the forward facing statements in SEC filings. Now, I just need someone curious enough to go wade through that crap to see what T-Mobile actually said.

Tim

Define "complete coverage". Marketing wank.

They don't even have spectrum at all in many areas. Zero. They rely on other GSM carriers in those States to pick up their traffic. Which puts them at risk of a rate increase by those carriers. And in all of those areas they have a cap of 200 MB (yes mega...) a month on data use for each customer to control their costs.

Keep in mind that Lajere is the guy who managed to drive Global Crossing into the ground fiscally even while they owned more than 80% of all undersea fiber in the entire world at the time. Even with its corporate HQ literally being a closet in the Bahamas for tax purposes. (I have a photo somewhere of the closet. Haha. A friend got curious while he was on vacation.) He's generally all hat, and no cattle.

They're trying, but without native spectrum everywhere they remain a niche player for "value" customers who live in well-serviced areas where they have spectrum.

They should buy Sprint and dismantle it, and use all the spectrum, but thats a nightmare and SoftBank will never ever do that deal.

The best way to have T-Mo service is Google Fi.

That's said, I'm kinda "over" messing around with paying what I pay for VZ coverage that doesn't exist out here on the prairie. Going back to T-Mo looks reasonable if not wholly annoying coverage-wise. I'm sure they've still given up on their partnership with Viaero out here where they used to roam each other's data without limits. Think Viaero moved over into the arms of VZ for their out of area coverage and VZ doesn't roam their customers data on Viaero either, just their calls and texts.

Which... is a serious problem on iPhone. Since iMessage uses data back to Apple's servers and is not really SMS. Forcing a phone to SMS only out here just breaks all the Apple stuff.

AT&T is somewhere in the middle and still doesn't cover correctly out here either. About the only plus for them is the $30 off on DirectTV if you have that. Otherwise they're worse than VZ (who you would buy for "complete" coverage and still be dropping calls every few miles) or T-Mo where you just give up on receiving iMessage "texts" anywhere in the black holes out here. T's network would behave just about the same.

Stuff like Waze and apps that need continuous data often freak out completely going in and out of coverage. I tell it to route me somewhere before I'm out of the driveway so I'm in Wifi "coverage" for that and then don't dare ask it to update for about 1/2 hour until I'm in "the city" or it'll either complain or just barf.

T-Mobile having the most complete coverage is like Sprint's current advertisements of 98% or whatever reliability. Then at the bottom of the screen, in tiny tiny print something like: Among the top 100 markets.

Th
A relatively inexpensive set of earbuds will give you excellent sound quality. I've had few problems with understanding telephone calls, certainly no more than from any other phone. I wouldn't bother listening to music on the phone speaker, that isn't what it was built for at all.
thats not the point

Whether it's worth it or not is up for debate but truth be told I will be getting the X most likely. I like that you get a larger screen on a phone the same size as the none plus models. I like the longer battery life and will probably get the max memory one. My phones tend to last me 3-4 years so it's a solid investment.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Well unless they changed the definition of the word since elementary school, I'm pretty sure I do. If I buy one brand's phone for $700.00 versus another brands phone for $600.00 and it last twice as long, that is a solid investment.

I don't know, they're all smartphones to me. I'd carry a flip phone if I didn't have the occasional need to look something up online while I'm driving or use it as a GPS. My wife, on the other hand, can't go more than five minutes w/o playing with hers. So I have a 5 year old Blackberry with zero downloaded apps on it and she has a 6 day old iPhone.

I read the articles about new phones coming out and none of it makes any sense to me. I don't need a better display or fancier features, but I get it that some people do. Of course, I'm the guy who thought the MFDs were a gimmick when they came out so I'm probably not the go-to person on the subject of technology.

Last edited:
Well unless they changed the definition of the word since elementary school, I'm pretty sure I do. If I buy one brand's phone for $700.00 versus another brands phone for $600.00 and it last twice as long, that is a solid investment.

Investment
noun
the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns,as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

Let me know when the value of whatever phone you buy appreciates in value over the purchase price. It may be a smart purchase, but a iphone isn't an investment unless it somehow allows you to make more money. I seriously doubt anyone is able to make more money buying an iPhone X than they did with an iPhone 5. It's just a smartphone.

Investment
noun
the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns,as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

Let me know when the value of whatever phone you buy appreciates in value over the purchase price. It may be a smart purchase, but a iphone isn't an investment unless it somehow allows you to make more money. I seriously doubt anyone is able to make more money buying an iPhone X than they did with an iPhone 5. It's just a smartphone.

It does allow me to make money. I make $500.00 over 4 years by only purchasing one phone that last 4 years versus 2 that die every other year.

The cost difference between an iPhone and a higher-end Android is negligible over the life of the phone. If it's what you like, then go for it. I might even consider it myself if Google keeps trying to force their stupid Google Assistant down my throat. I'm getting tired of rooting phones just so I can uninstall as much of Google's **** as I can without crippling the phone.

Rich

It does allow me to make money. I make $500.00 over 4 years by only purchasing one phone that last 4 years versus 2 that die every other year.
Somehow I feel that you have no empirical evidence that a $600 phone lasts half as long as a $700 phone, but whatever floats your boat. I've got a Samsung S2 that still functions just fine. It does sit at home on Wifi all day just forwarding calls/texts, but it has lasted for over six years now. I still don't consider it an investment, but it has certainly been of solid value.

A phone is not an investment. It is a wasting asset.

<end hijack>
I think of it as a depreciating asset. Just a rather steep curve. Thankfully the starting point is not the price of an airplane...

Tim

Then I am obtuse, as I do not understand your complaint.
The "telephone" earpiece practically rings because the frequency response is so midrange peaky. I don't walk around with earbuds all day, and certainly don't want to deal with those while driving. Speakerphone mode (which uses the stereo speakers instead) doesn't play well in a noisy environment or where I want privacy/don't want to disturb others.

Wasting or depreciating asset, doesn't mater. Going to order an 8 to replace my 6S today or tomorrow so as I quit wasting more money on it. If I buy it outright today at $170, I will have wasted more money on it as I will have paid more than the thing cost new. Burnt by leasing I guess. Can't afford to buy new.

The "telephone" earpiece practically rings because the frequency response is so midrange peaky. I don't walk around with earbuds all day, and certainly don't want to deal with those while driving. Speakerphone mode (which uses the stereo speakers instead) doesn't play well in a noisy environment or where I want privacy/don't want to disturb others.
As I said, the phone speaker really isn't built for playing music. I use earbuds all the time. I do have issues when cleaning house, as drawer pulls snag the chords. Other than that the earbuds work just fine, even when driving a two-seater sports car with manual transmission.

I use earbuds all the time. I do have issues when cleaning house, as drawer pulls snag the chords.
I wear earbuds all the time too. I have a phone case that attaches to my belt. I route the speaker wire up inside my shirt, and then use a small file clip to attach it to my v-line. This allows some slack from that point to my ears and helps keep the line firmly in place. I've been using this method for years and have had zero snags.

As I said, the phone speaker really isn't built for playing music. I use earbuds all the time. I do have issues when cleaning house, as drawer pulls snag the chords. Other than that the earbuds work just fine, even when driving a two-seater sports car with manual transmission.
As I said, I'm not listening to music on the phone speaker!

Earbuds can destroy your hearing, I use them as little as possible, and don't listen to music with them. Thats' why I have legitimate big speakers.

Definitely will not be getting the X. I'll probably get the 8 when my contract expires in june

Another advantage of T-mobile. Your phone lease isn't built into the contract. If you chose to pay by month, your bill drops once the phone is paid for. I paid off my 6 earlier this year, and my monthly dropped by $25.

Nothing in the 8/X release is of much interest to me, so I'll hold onto the 6 until the battery life becomes insufferable or it can't run the current iOS reasonably.

Wasting or depreciating asset, doesn't mater. Going to order an 8 to replace my 6S today or tomorrow so as I quit wasting more money on it. If I buy it outright today at $170, I will have wasted more money on it as I will have paid more than the thing cost new. Burnt by leasing I guess. Can't afford to buy new.

Irony: Breaking up the Bell system so we could all stop renting phones, so we could build really neat computer phones we all rent again.* LOL.

* I don't rent phones. If I can't afford the silly thing outright, I don't buy it. Makes life a whole lot simpler. Installment payments on a phone sounds like heading over to Rent-A-Center for a couch to me.

Irony: Breaking up the Bell system so we could all stop renting phones, so we could build really neat computer phones we all rent again.* LOL.

* I don't rent phones. If I can't afford the silly thing outright, I don't buy it. Makes life a whole lot simpler. Installment payments on a phone sounds like heading over to Rent-A-Center for a couch to me.
Those of us living paycheck to paycheck don't have the option to buy outright. I don't see things getting better for myself any time soon. I got locked into this situation because I did not realize what would happen and I fell for the upgrade every year thing. The timing for the new iPhone launch did not quite work out.

I am considering an iPhone 7 though which just got cheaper to lease and I can get an 8 in 12 months. By then we will know if there will be an 8S or not.

Last edited:
Back