Those with fear of heights need not apply

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
If your factory needs its chimney repaired, this guy will get to the top of it....

Been to just about 2000' on a tower before, and quite a few that were lower....not anymore. I won't even get on my 1 story roof without using a boomlift.

Pretty sure they show that video at OSHA office Halloween parties instead of ghost and ghoul movies to give their folks the heebie jeebies.

Pretty sure they show that video at OSHA office Halloween parties instead of ghost and ghoul movies to give their folks the heebie jeebies.

The technique seems to have worked for him for quite a long time.

The technique seems to have worked for him for quite a long time.
And others since many the chimneys he is climbing we're built 100+ years ago.

As Al Borland would say, "I don't think so Tim."

A friend had put up a CB antenna many years ago and I knew he was very afraid of heights. When I asked how he got an Antron A-99 up in the top of a very tall pine tree in his yard he said, "I did it in the dark!" True story ...

A friend had put up a CB antenna many years ago and I knew he was very afraid of heights. When I asked how he got an Antron A-99 up in the top of a very tall pine tree in his yard he said, "I did it in the dark!" True story ...

I once had to install a CB antenna on the stub of the steeple of a rather tall church some years back. The preacher apparently wanted to preach over the CB. After a rather harrowing climb up ladders set on ledges, my helper and I felt like idiots when we found a hatch door on the roof that led into the robing room adjacent to the choir loft.

Rich

Sounds like the thinking the Texas Aggies are using to plan their first landing on the Sun. They are going when it's night.

If you search YT for "Fred Dibnah", you'll see more about this bloke. Including tearing down these chimneys from the top, by hand, chiseling at the mortar until a group of bricks are loose enough to push into the chimney.

And zero fall protection in sight.

Meh. Alex Honnold woulda zipped up the side of that with no aids. (Alex is the Chuck Norris of the freesolo climbing world)

kidding; awesome videos.
(yay for the clove-hitch)

I'd have less if a problem with the heights, but man I'd have a hard time trusting the ladder stays being held into the mortar joints by wedges of wood, lol.

It’s amazing how many pilots are afraid of heights. Me included. 10,000 feet in the bonanza is no problem.

Its not necessarily the fear of heights so much as the fear of falling. Basophobia versus acrophobia.

Back