Those who rent, how often do you fly?

Actually, there are STCs that will make N and P model 172s capable of carrying 1000 lb useful load. And they aren't that rare. Unless your four adults are large, that will do it. It can do four FAA adults with a modest reduction in fuel. (240 lb is full; you'll need 200).

True, but it's still trucking along at 110kts, which admittedly isn't the worst thing, but 135-160kts seems like a better investment for a flying club XC machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost never - that's why I need to get another plane no matter how ratty as long as it is airworthy.

I have the advantage of having nearly 50 aircraft available in my club. I'm checked out on about half of them, so I usually have 20-25 aircraft to pick from. If your local rental outfit has only one or two planes and too many pilots, that can really suck.

West Valley Flying Club is an anomaly, isn't it? It's awesome to have so many planes in a club. Is there any other large club like that anywhere else in the country?

I'm in my second non-equity partnership; which is still renting as I don't own it. It is nice in that there are fewer people flying the planes. I average probably around 90 hrs/yr; 103 last year.

Before that I was in a flying club. Not much different from the club/flight school I started at, but more of an emphasis on club and flying than training like at the first one. Even with a bunch of pilots I could often get the Arrow or Seneca for the weekend as most of them flew the 172s, probably some due to them being cheaper. I was averaging 80 hrs/yr or more there.

I like traveling via GA and I do Angel Flight missions.

I don't rent anymore. I purchased a plane when I could no longer afford to fly as much as I wanted and pay their rental fees. I also wanted to take some long trips where I'm gone for a week and most schools have a minimum of 4 hours per day around here if you're not flying locally.

Now, I have a cheap plane to operate in my Cessna 140. Even then, it's not dirt cheap. Hangar is approximately $3600/year, annual is $300, insurance is $600. Just based on those fixed costs and assuming nothing goes wrong, that's $4500/year. Divide that by 12 months, $375/month.

If you only fly for two hours per month, you'd be better off renting a $187/hour wet airplane. No maintenance, no hangar, etc.

If you're like me and fly 10 hours a month, that's only $37.50 per hour fixed costs, plus about $18/hour for fuel, so $55/hour which is pretty cheap. Even if you start an engine, maintenance fund of $10/hour, still cheaper than anything else I can rent and it's there whenever I want to go fly.

For grins I even calculated in the $28K purchase price even though I paid cash. $28K/5 years = $5600/year $5600/12 months = $466/month Fly 10 hours a month = $47/hour. So $47/hour + $37.50/hour + $18 Fuel + $10 Engine Fund = $112.50/hour for five years, then dropping to $65.50 per hour with a plane paid for in full. I also have a plane that's still worth at least $28K that I can sell anytime. In fact, I've had offers for more than that.

Yes, I'm married, and yes, I had to do a lot of justification to buy an airplane!

West Valley Flying Club is an anomaly, isn't it? It's awesome to have so many planes in a club. Is there any other large club like that anywhere else in the country?

No, it's not that much of an anomaly. It's the largest club, but having a dozen or so planes on the line is pretty normal around the region. What is unusual is the high end aircraft on the line. It's not common to see a Cirrus or a Cessna 200-series.

I've flown a decreasing amount over the last 5 years since getting my license. Down to just under 8hrs last year. Most of the past years have been in a J-3...just flying around or doing airwork. I actually enjoy that stuff.

I don't rent anymore. I purchased a plane when I could no longer afford to fly as much as I wanted and pay their rental fees. I also wanted to take some long trips where I'm gone for a week and most schools have a minimum of 4 hours per day around here if you're not flying locally.

Four hours per day?! :eek: I thought 3 hrs/day was bad, which is what most of the "clubs" do in the Atlanta area; at the wet rate. :mad: I hate paying for fuel I didn't burn. I was in a club several years ago that did 2 hrs/day minimum and they used a dry rate. That was good. I don't mind paying for the plane since I have it with me and others can't get it during that time.

Now I'm in a 2nd non-equity partnership and there are no minimum hours per day, same as the prior partnership. I'm also flying with a club here as a back-up with no minimums for their planes either.

Back