Those of you with your commercial ticket, how long did it take you?

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
Just curious about how long it took you to finish from start to finish, if you were 141 or 61, how many times a week you flew, if you took longer flights or more frequent shorter flights, etc.

I was hoping to get mine done over the summer (I'm part 141), and get my CFI, CFII, and MEI done this fall semester. A lot harder to get those hours done than I thought, so looking like that's not going to happen unless it doesn't take a whole lot of flying to get your CFI and CFII done (I know there are technically no flight requirements per say). I need about 40 hours of instruction and 49 hours of solo time still to get my commercial done. I work full time so that's half the battle, Maryland weather can at times be the other half (though I finally will get my instrument ticket next Friday if all goes well so that should help a little).

Initial commercial single took me ~4 months. I did the multi add on in a weekend. Both 61 and few about once a week for the single

Just curious about how long it took you to finish from start to finish, if you were 141 or 61, how many times a week you flew, if you took longer flights or more frequent shorter flights, etc.

I was hoping to get mine done over the summer (I'm part 141), and get my CFI, CFII, and MEI done this fall semester. A lot harder to get those hours done than I thought, so looking like that's not going to happen unless it doesn't take a whole lot of flying to get your CFI and CFII done (I know there are technically no flight requirements per say). I need about 40 hours of instruction and 49 hours of solo time still to get my commercial done. I work full time so that's half the battle, Maryland weather can at times be the other half (though I finally will get my instrument ticket next Friday if all goes well so that should help a little).

Why would you need 40 hours of instruction toward the commercial?

I was also working full time, did it pt 61, using my own plane for a good bit of it, CPL, IFR, SES, SEL with most all my non SES hours tailwheel, a little over a year.

I'd do some major cross countires if I were you and also try to make yourself stand out from every other greenhorn CPL.

I was also working full time, did it pt 61, using my own plane for a good bit of it, CPL, IFR, SES, SEL with most all my non SES hours tailwheel, a little over a year.

I'd do some major cross countires if I were you and also try to make yourself stand out from every other greenhorn CPL.

Yup, thanks for the advice! That's what I was thinking too but not sure what looks better, more flights but shorter, or longer XCs but fewer of them.

Yup, thanks for the advice! That's what I was thinking too but not sure what looks better, more flights but shorter, or longer XCs but fewer of them.

Hands down longer xcs, like fly coast to coast, or down into Mexico, up to AK, etc.

After I got the instrument rating, I started on my commercial multi. Thanks to a hurricane coming through Florida, it took me 5 weeks to get multi commercial. For the single commercial add on, it took 3 flights, but it took a week to get scheduled with a designated examiner.

As for hours, just get them. Early on I had more cross country time than most pilots of my experience level and the first few employers took note of that.

I did mine Part 61. I have been a private pilot for many years and had the minimums covered, and just had to do a few flights to learn the maneuvers for the checkride.

Back