This sounds like a cluster waiting to happen.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Just got a flyer in the mail for a new private airstrip that opened up and to celebrate they are having a fly in.
In the notes of the flyer it says (among other things) the following:

• Fly 1 mile direct runway heading approaches and deaprtures, no turns.
  • Use frequency 123.45 (in the air) and 122.90 (on the ground).
  • Follow controller instructions for air and ground instructions.

So much wrong there. I almost want to setup at the end of the runway with a radio and some popcorn.

Could be a beautifully orchestrated attempt to keep other people from visiting and therefore buying a lot.

Maybe it's a trap. Since it is a private airstrip, they could legally prevent you from taking off again. Everyone lands and they now have a few dozen airplanes held hostage.

Just got a flyer in the mail for a new private airstrip that opened up and to celebrate they are having a fly in.
In the notes of the flyer it says (among other things) the following:

Is there a Website on the Flyer?

1.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.

(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—

(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right; and

(2) Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.

(c) Flap settings. Except when necessary for training or certification, the pilot in command of a civil turbojet-powered aircraft must use, as a final flap setting, the minimum certificated landing flap setting set forth in the approved performance information in the Airplane Flight Manual for the applicable conditions. However, each pilot in command has the final authority and responsibility for the safe operation of the pilot's airplane, and may use a different flap setting for that airplane if the pilot determines that it is necessary in the interest of safety.

(d) Communications with control towers. Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower unless two-way radio communications are maintained between that aircraft and the control tower. Communications must be established prior to 4 nautical miles from the airport, up to and including 2,500 feet AGL. However, if the aircraft radio fails in flight, the pilot in command may operate that aircraft and land if weather conditions are at or above basic VFR weather minimums, visual contact with the tower is maintained, and a clearance to land is received. If the aircraft radio fails while in flight under IFR, the pilot must comply with §91.185.

[Doc. No. 24458, 56 FR 65658, Dec. 17, 1991, as amended by Amdt. 91-239, 59 FR 11693, Mar. 11, 1994; Amdt. 91-282, 69 FR 44880, July 27, 2004]

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/regulations/temporary-faa-control-towers/

No website. It was a mailer we got . It's closer for me to drive there than it is to fly there.

No website. It was a mailer we got . It's closer for me to drive there than it is to fly there.
Please, please, drive to about a 5-mile final with a handheld and my high school sweetheart’s (or yours, I don’t care which) phone number. “Cessna on final, I have a phone number for you to call.”

LOL that's funny I got the same thing. It was a yellow flyer. I didn't pay it that much attention but I remember it said they have room for at least 200 airplanes!

Should have used 121.5 It is never used / monitored, completely open to something like this.

The FAA has set up temporary control towers at untowered fields around here in the past. But this definitely isn't one of those times because I remember the frequency being something in the 130s range for the temp tower frequency. And it was notam'd.

The FAA has set up temporary control towers at untowered fields around here in the past. But this definitely isn't one of those times because I remember the frequency being something in the 130s range for the temp tower frequency. And it was notam'd.

I even know how to apply for those temporary frequencies in the god awful FCC website. LOL.

Offered to help a friend once... ended up
the “expert” on getting browsers and have to work with that garbage last updated in the 90s...

Oh well. At least he handles the FSDO paperwork needed to send to FCC...

I even know how to apply for those temporary frequencies in the god awful FCC website. LOL.

Offered to help a friend once... ended up
the “expert” on getting browsers and have to work with that garbage last updated in the 90s...

Oh well. At least he handles the FSDO paperwork needed to send to FCC...

I think they (not these guys, but the ones in the past) just coordinated with GRR, since it was the GRR guys that came over and ran the tower and might have used a 'spare' GRR frequency.

It's not an ARINC frequency, it's reserved for flight testing.

Yeah, I knew that and there was a long discussion about "five fingers" a few months ago. I just had ARINC on my mind, since I am working an ARINC-661 integration at work.

That's only for "remote and oceanic areas" which these bozos are not.
Yeah. Maybe all the avionics shops in radio range are closing up for the day and going there. Then it would be a no harm no foul thing

Yeah, my experience with "Non-Government Flight Testing," and "remote areas" was in the vicinity of a very "special" part of Nevada.

Yeah, my experience with "Non-Government Flight Testing," and "remote areas" was in the vicinity of a very "special" part of Nevada.
It can be either/or, it does not have to be both. I've worked with flight test stations not affiliated with avionics shops on reserved VHF freqs at airports many of you have flown out of. The special parts of Nevada (and elsewhere) aren't using open VHF comms ;)

Nauga,
zip lip

It can be either/or, it does not have to be both. I've worked with flight test stations not affiliated with avionics shops on reserved VHF freqs at airports many of you have flown out of. The special parts of Nevada (and elsewhere) aren't using open VHF comms ;)

Nauga,
zip lip

Surprised you didn’t sign that “Button 11”. LOL

https://www.michigan.gov/aero/0,4533,7-352-79172_79181-542902--,00.html
That airport has been on the charts for at least 6 months, maybe longer. Want to try and get to that fly-in in the OP. (There's a couple of them on that weekend.) As a low-time PP, looking forward to going to these sort of things - maybe I can talk my wife into going along? Gotta reserve the flight school airplane for that morning - so a low-timer can handle a shorter grass strip (2300 feet).
Don't know what's going on frequency wise - maybe they're using the 'easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission' approach? For (part of) one day, who's gonna notice?

For heavens sake don't fly over the horse ranch!

Get a set of these for the Comanche and fly over the runway....

images

https://www.michigan.gov/aero/0,4533,7-352-79172_79181-542902--,00.html
That airport has been on the charts for at least 6 months, maybe longer. Want to try and get to that fly-in in the OP. (There's a couple of them on that weekend.) As a low-time PP, looking forward to going to these sort of things - maybe I can talk my wife into going along? Gotta reserve the flight school airplane for that morning - so a low-timer can handle a shorter grass strip (2300 feet).
Don't know what's going on frequency wise - maybe they're using the 'easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission' approach? For (part of) one day, who's gonna notice?

Hey, there’s a Green Lake. You could practice for Oshkosh

upload_2021-5-13_15-38-28.png

Should have used 121.5 It is never used / monitored, completely open to something like this.

Meow twice when you're on final.

I don't know when that started, but it's childish. One day they're going to upgrade radios to send an ID signal and it will stop, one way or another.

Aircraft on hold at Green Lake are requested to complete a circuit without cutting across the lake to exit.

Back