This looks unbelievably fun

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
How does one go about getting to experiencing something like this?

I see you in a wingsuit!

It's as easy as falling off of a ladder.

:goofy:

:)

I would like to try it sometime.
That and a powered parachute both interest me.

They are a blast to fly. Low & slow is the way to go. You really need to step up your game to fly them though. They can be a hand full. A lot of spam can pilots get killed or hurt thinking they can fly a UL with no training.

Why would I hand someone my perfectly good beer?

Oh I see why that one is so cheap. No cup holders.

When one is out participating in soaring, what is the compensation to the tow plane?

When one is out participating in soaring, what is the compensation to the tow plane?

Different clubs and operations have dfifferent rates. Typically it'll be something like $25 for the first 1 or 2 thousand feet then another 5 or 10 bucks for each additional thousand for club rates (somewhere in that range). Commercial ops might be a couple dollars more. I can't remember my club's rates right now.

An average tow that I'm used to is 3000 feet msl. But a lot of guys, and girls, will release early if they find good lift on tow.

A couple father's days back my dad and grandfather and I went for glider rides.
Dad is a big guy, I'm 190s. My grandfather probably weighs 90 lbs

Me and dad's flights were significantly shorter. I think thin people get more bang for their buck in a glider.

It was a lot of fun. I think I would like that rating at some point.

Yeah, Walt has one out at his place. I don't know if he gives rides or if it's a tandem.

Yeah, Walt has one out at his place. I don't know if he gives rides or if it's a tandem.

He;s really into that scene... if his isn't dual carriage, then I betcha he know someone in the area who dose have one.

A couple father's days back my dad and grandfather and I went for glider rides.
Dad is a big guy, I'm 190s. My grandfather probably weighs 90 lbs

Me and dad's flights were significantly shorter. I think thin people get more bang for their buck in a glider.
"Gliding" perhaps, "Soaring" is a bit more interesting around the weight issue.

Lighter, you come down more slowly. Heavier, you go faster. Flying 200 miles you may want a bit of both, thus ballast tanks.

All of it is way too much fun but I've never flown in a no-cockpit aircraft like that. Must be a blast.

I foresee the downside of picking bugs out of your teeth from inability to control a smile. :D

First, live somewhere with a lot of flat, open country.

Done. I often take people up to show them the world's largest horizon. ;)
North Texas is an engine out emergency pilot's dream.

I would like to try it sometime.
That and a powered parachute both interest me.

a friend of mine took my wife up for about 10-15 minutes last night in a tandem powered chute. They look like a blast, but the times/weather you can fly in them seem very limited.

GOAT is the gold standard. It was extraordinarily influential and a number of people and organizations tried to sell altered versions. It's kinda of like Avid Flier, only I'm not sure they improved on Sandlin's design.

Still, I heard the performance is not very impressive by sailplane standards. You need more L/D for termalling reliably in marginal days. But if you live in a place where people fly hanggliders, it's a killer.

Personally though I would like to fly (ex BrightStar) Swift or Millenium. That is really sexy. It weighs just a tad more than GOAT, you can foot-launch it, but it offers a true sailplane performance. Unfortunately it costs 20 times more than GOAT costs.

Last edited:
Ellenville is exactly the ridge I had in mind.

Get some training you'll be fine. Just don't fire it up and say; " Hold my beer and watch this!" :lol: :nono:

Thought I was gonna kill myself in the 162 after 5 years and hundreds of hours fliyig 150/152s :rofl:

I have done a lot of research on Powered parachutes. If you want to buy a two seat PPC make sure its registered as a LSA or ELSA. Some people are flying those illegally without Certification.

All I know about PPCs comes from subscribing to Powered Sport Flying Magazine, and it looks like they are full of terrifying failure modes. Most are linked to recovery from rough air and negative Gs. It's a tricky business and you cannot afford any equipment malfunctions.

All I know about PPCs comes from subscribing to Powered Sport Flying Magazine, and it looks like they are full of terrifying failure modes. Most are linked to recovery from rough air and negative Gs. It's a tricky business and you cannot afford any equipment malfunctions.

Ummm no. The only catastrophic failure mode is an attachment carabinier. Lots of flying machines have a Jesus bolt or two, they just hide them on the vanilla GA stuff.

I used to fly gliders out of the Boulder Municipal Field between Boulder, Co and the IBM plant, whenever I had to go there for my job. Go out to lunch, rent a glider, fly around, then go back to work. Eventually. It was fun.

I believe the OP video was a winch tow and not a tow plane launch.

Dale

I started flying in ultra lights, then bought a Cirrus. While, I love the Cirrus, I did miss the open cockpit. I really want this: http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/ The problem is I want to put the 912is in it, but don't think you can!

Oh also that twin Cam looks awesome.
I like the idea of just being out there

The problem is I want to put the 912is in it, but don't think you can!
If you want 4-stroke power in a Challenger, you could easily put HKS-700E into it. A 912 is bit of an overkill, although there was a company, called "Higher Class Aviation", that sold beefed-up S-LSA Challengers with 912 engines, called "Sport Hornet". If you find one of those, there's your plane. Not an ultralight, of course.

Really! Its the most safest flying you can do. Heck you are already under a parachute.

If you want 4-stroke power in a Challenger, you could easily put HKS-700E into it. A 912 is bit of an overkill, although there was a company, called "Higher Class Aviation", that sold beefed-up S-LSA Challengers with 912 engines, called "Sport Hornet". If you find one of those, there's your plane. Not an ultralight, of course.

Pete, thanks for the information. I will look into it.

Back