This looks good!

What is it? Very touchscreen-y. But decent for that sort of interface.

Interesting.... Just saw a NOTAM today I had never noticed before. I think it was tucked between the seccurity NOTAMs for Pakistan and Kenya. Said something about all GA pilots needing to immediately stop using CPDLC. Had to look it up to learn what it was...

You have to respond to the clearance?
And also make the airplane do something?

Why a middleman?
Just have one button for the pilot, “Follow atc commands”

Not sure. I just learned about the system while trying to figure out if the NOTAM applied to my flight... Now I cannot find that NOTAM again... o_O

Not sure. I just learned about the system while trying to figure out if the NOTAM applied to my flight... Now I cannot find that NOTAM again... o_O
Weird... seems like ATC would be pushing the use of CPDLC.

Weird... seems like ATC would be pushing the use of CPDLC.

Yaah... It is not there anymore. Not seeing it at all. Maybe it was a temporary service issue or something and they were trying to lighten the load...

Here it is.... Looks like it has been around a while. Easy to miss buried between all the UAS and Middle East/Africa Security NOTAMs.

Screenshot_20200828-001927_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Yaah... It is not there anymore. Not seeing it at all. Maybe it was a temporary service issue or something and they were trying to lighten the load...

Also could have been a system side screwup where it was sending CDPLC to aircraft they didn’t want controlled that way. It’s a new world where a spam can could even receive it so a leak would be a problem.

They filed with XYZ ICAO equipment codes, so the computer said “Yay CDPLC activated! I’m helping!” Lol.

Reactions: smv
Interesting.... Just saw a NOTAM today I had never noticed before. I think it was tucked between the seccurity NOTAMs for Pakistan and Kenya. Said something about all GA pilots needing to immediately stop using CPDLC. Had to look it up to learn what it was...
Where did you look the abbreviation up? GA has more abbreviations than any other profession I think ‍

CPDLC requires equipment not commonly found in piston aircraft, the GTN series can be an interface for it but does not contain all the equipment necessary to enable it.

If a $5k transponder seems too expensive CPDLC equipment won't seem reasonable either.

You have to respond to the clearance?
And also make the airplane do something?

Why a middleman?
Just have one button for the pilot, “Follow atc commands”

That is still a middleman... Why not a box that mounts between the CPDLC receiver and the Autopilot? Electronics do not have sick kids, unions, or accrued vacation.

The certification requirements for something interfacing with the autopilot are a bit more stringent than those for the traditional CPDLC.

Back