This is why you make sure your S#1T is secured in the cockpit.

Re: This is why you make sure your stuff is secured in the cockpit.

Joe... There's a boot on the stick but there is still an area where the seat is cut out that it could get caught in if it fell down right. I tried to attach a pic with my phone, not sure if it will work.

So, right in here? If so, the SportStar has the same seat cutout for the boot so I will definitely keep this in mind going forward. Thanks!

Harmony.jpg

ps I once tried to depart with an 8-1/2 x 11 clip board in my lap, instead of a knee board. I can tell you, for similar reasons, that it wasn't a very good idea.

So, right in here? If so, the SportStar has the same seat cutout for the boot so I will definitely keep this in mind going forward. Thanks!

Harmony.jpg

ps I once tried to depart with an 8-1/2 x 11 clip board in my lap, instead of a knee board. I can tell you, for similar reasons, that it wasn't a very good idea.

Yep, that's the spot. I didn't see how it was wedged in there as the CFI had plucked it out... But it had to have fallen in there just right.

Drama in real life - you might have saved a life (someday) by posting that.

I certainly learned from it. Yesterday he patted his side pocket and said "it's in here this time"... Hopefully others can take the same lesson from the video.

Because the town(or some people in it) doesn't want the field overflown when kids are playing on it. Not in effect when nothing is going on. Don't ask me, I didn't make the "rule".
Let me take a stab at that one:
They don't want you crash/landing in a field where children are playing, you don't have much altitude at that point. Perfectly reasonable request.

Let me take a stab at that one:
They don't want you crash/landing in a field where children are playing, you don't have much altitude at that point. Perfectly reasonable request.

An engine failure just beyond the end of the runway would have you doing a slight left turn into a field, not the soccer field. I don't know the reasoning for sure but I suspect it's more a noise thing.

I watched a guy take off in an ultralight. Open cockpit, side by side seats, center stick. He was delivering it someplace and had a full 5 gal jerry can of gas bungeed into the right seat.

He took off, then made a steep bank to the left just after he rotated, <50 feet. It didn't look right at all. He circled very low and landed on the same rwy he had departed. He taxied to the ramp, right next to where I was standing. He got out and his hands were shaking so badly it took 3 tries for him to get his cigarette lit. When he rotated, the gas can slipped out of the seat, into the footwell, and jammed the center stick so it couldn't move right. After a few more cigarettes and a lot of rope, he took off again.

I leave my flight bag unsecured in the back seat, but if it's in the front I run the seatbelt through the handle.

Could have been worse, there might have been a spider in the cockpit.

That would freak some people out. My kids (in their 30s) each have a t-shirt that says, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself........... and spiders".

Back