This is why I do it

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I have a policy at work as an incentive for new controllers to get their rating is that I'll take them up when they have the ATC badge on their chest. I took up a girl this morning (she was prior rated but only in radar before coming to my tower, and will be one of our supervisors in October) who asked me a long time ago if she could go on a flight. She wants to get her pilot's license/certificate (for the nit pickers) and was genuinely interested in learning. Now I've taken several controllers up before but unlike the others that just wanted to fly, she insisted that she do the pre-flight and all the checklists with me. It was smooth and cool this morning and we were wheels up at 7 am, she even got there early and for a twenty-something today, that's saying a lot.

After we reached cruising altitude I turned the controls over to her and let her fly for about 40 minutes. She did well and could not stop saying, "this is so cool." with a permanent smile plastered on her face. Although I'm not a CFI and can't teach her, I think she might pursue her ticket pretty soon if she can find a school. It sure was nice to have someone who wanted to learn rather than someone who just wants me to stop with all the safety stuff and get in the air. Those are fun too but it was nice to take someone up who wanted to know everything.

This was her first flight in a small airplane. I am SUCH an ambassador to our little hobby. :)

Last edited:
Very cool man!

Having more controllers interested in flying is a HUGE win in my book. I hope she pulls it off.

Way to go! Hope you've inspired a new pilot.

Great job Tim! Being ambassadors for GA is a really positive contribution that I need to do more of. Great example!

Its nice and educational for them to see the pilot side of it. We were taxiing back to the hangar and ground told us to hold short of runway 21 which we did. Then they forgot about us. ;)

Oh, they remembered you. They certainly remembered you.

Its nice and educational for them to see the pilot side of it. We were taxiing back to the hangar and ground told us to hold short of runway 21 which we did. Then they forgot about us. ;)

They didn't forget about you, just a little joke between controlers..:)

Oh, they remembered you. They certainly remembered you.

Adding a "yup" to that one. LOL.

"Hey, isn't that the boss in that plane?"

;)

No, I work at Davis Monthan AFB and this was at Tucson International so I'm not their boss. However, you guys may be right. There are 5 controllers at Tucson that I've worked with prior when they (and I) wore the uniform. :)

No, I work at Davis Monthan AFB and this was at Tucson International so I'm not their boss. However, you guys may be right. There are 5 controllers at Tucson that I've worked with prior when they (and I) wore the uniform. :)
Are all the Controllers at DMA civilians?

Super cool! I'm a Kansas City Controller and also the biggest aviation nerd. Over the last 10yrs here I've managed to get a lot of folks into aviation and try as hard as I can to get people up in my airplane. I think having a Controller that is also a pilot, provides a much better service! My area (Ozark) probably has the highest pilot/controller ratio in the Midwest, with others starting their ratings as soon as CFI's become available. I plan multi-aircraft $100 hamburger trips that even include our supervisor (she 's a pilot too!) It's great!!

I can't believe nobody else is curious. He had a 20 something in his plane who wants to fly and none of you perverts even bothered to ask if she was MSCARD88 worthy.

As a wise man once said, pictures or it didn't happen

I can't believe nobody else is curious. He had a 20 something in his plane who wants to fly and none of you perverts even bothered to ask if she was MSCARD88 worthy.

As a wise man once said, pictures or it didn't happen

I just figured that's why the tower "forgot" about him... they were checking with the binoculars to see who the girl was in Tim's airplane.

If she'd have keyed up and signed off with her operating initials they would have been like, "awww crap, we talk to her on the land line..." and cleared them to taxi immediately.

I didn't take any pictures but both of them were worthy. They took the pictures, I was flying the plane.

Edit: Realizing there is a hole in the story because I said "they" and "both" above. To clear things up, I flew one on Friday and another on Saturday. Both "worthy" although no proof is or will be provided.

Last edited:
Of course I did. I gave them about 40 minutes each and they didn't take pictures while they were flying. I'm not much of a selfie hound so I didn't take any while they were flying. I actually had to remind them to take pictures which is surprising to me and that while on final to the runway. I guess they were having so much fun that they didn't have their mind on pictures.

I guess they were having so much fun that they didn't have their mind on pictures.

Bold claim. Pictures or it didn't happen. Eman should be all over this one.

I think it is great for all controllers to know what it's like on the other side of the radio. I hope she will be able to go through with her flying lessons.

I will admit something though. They had left the beacon on well past sunrise so as I was taxiing out for the Saturday flight I decided to be a smart ass and ask them if we were IFR because the beacon was still on. They replied, "let me check on that." He came back a couple seconds later and said, "How's it look now?" and it had been turned off. "Looks good now." "Thanks." He said. I said, "well, it isn't like we don't do the same thing at D-M every once in a while."

Then when I was cleared for take off, guess who forgot the "camera" portion of the lights, camera, action scenario? "Cherokee six zero uniform, not receiving your mode C."

:oops:

Last edited:
That's because my transponder is in the O-F-F mode.... let me try the O-N mode and see if it works fer ya....

It was in the O-N mode, just not in the ALT mode.
You have to look at your transponder after verifying beacon code? I remember doing that back in the stone age...

I will admit something though. They had left the beacon on well past sunrise so as I was taxiing out for the Saturday flight I decided to be a smart ass and ask them if we were IFR because the beacon was still on. They replied, "let me check on that." He came back a couple seconds later and said, "How's it look now?" and it had been turned off. "Looks good now." "Thanks." He said. I said, "well, it isn't like we don't do the same thing at D-M every once in a while."

The other day I called in inbound to Goodyear. Tower replied, "7YQ, Glendale Tower, ... ," then corrected himself a moment later as I looked to be sure I'd dialed in the right frequency. That was a new one on me; when I talk to ATC it's usually me who's lost.

Yeah, don't call Phoenix approach Albuquerque approach. They really don't seem to appreciate that...:lol::lol::lol:

You have to look at your transponder after verifying beacon code? I remember doing that back in the stone age...

Not only do I look at it, I have to turn at least three knobs so it will work. This time I only turned two.

The other day I called in inbound to Goodyear. Tower replied, "7YQ, Glendale Tower, ... ," then corrected himself a moment later as I looked to be sure I'd dialed in the right frequency. That was a new one on me; when I talk to ATC it's usually me who's lost.

Common thing. That controller probably transferred from Glendale to Goodyear. We have people who come from different bases or who were deployed who call themselves "(insert base here) ground" a few times before they get used to where they are. You ever fly a different plane from the one you're used to and call yourself your old call sign? When I fly my buddy's Arrow I usually have to catch myself using my Cherokee's tail number.

......You ever fly a different plane from the one you're used to and call yourself your old call sign? When I fly my buddy's Arrow I usually have to catch myself using my Cherokee's tail number.

Yup, did it last week actually. Doing some commercial training with my CFI and used the tail number for the plane I did all my IR training in... ok I did it twice the same day but who's counting?

Also, really cool what you are doing taking the new controllers up. I have visited an ATC tower and I think it's very important for both controllers and pilots to see what the "other side of the mic" is like.

Pilots would be surprised to see how much multi-tasking is going on.

For example: "Why doesn't ground control answer me?"
1. they are recording a new ATIS because flight data is on the phone.
2. they are talking to OPs on another radio because someone reported something on the taxiway.
3. they are listening to a clearance read back on UHF.
4. they are listening to their trainer who may be telling them to pay more attention to the radio.
5. they are listening to the watch supervisor who is telling them to re-route aircraft because of the FOD.
6. they are talking to airfield lighting/maintenance/navaid maintenance on another radio.

and the list goes on and on...

Then when I was cleared for take off, guess who forgot the "camera" portion of the lights, camera, action scenario? "Cherokee six zero uniform, not receiving your mode C."

:oops:

Karma is a *****. ;)

Or maybe they are eating ice cream....

View attachment 55724
"I want you to hit the pace car." "Hit the pace car?" "Hit the pace car." "What for?!" "You already hit everything else out there, so I want you to be perfect!"

Good to see a Days of Thunder reference. That movie is underrated.

OP I wish more people in Aviation were like you. I'm in my mid 20s and there seems to be this stigma against us that we are lazy and "unteachable" a lot of the older guys don't even like to talk to us. It's been this way since my generation were teenagers (so a good 10 years now).

Anyway hopefully you inspired a new pilot OP and hopefully she will fly for a living.

OP I wish more people in Aviation were like you. I'm in my mid 20s and there seems to be this stigma against us that we are lazy and "unteachable" a lot of the older guys don't even like to talk to us. It's been this way since my generation were teenagers (so a good 10 years now).

Anyway hopefully you inspired a new pilot OP and hopefully she will fly for a living.

Don't worry. We wouldn't like talking to you even without the stigma! ;) ;) ;)

Kidding. Just kidding.

As for the record I've met super lazy and super motivated people of all ages. :)

Back