This is the airplane I would buy right now...

Everything I've read and seen about the 62 seems to indicate it is a really sweet plane. And the price is irrelevant to me. They could slash the price by 50% and I would still be a long ways off from being able to afford one! It could be $3 million for all I care.

I hope the long-term reliability of the new diesel proves out in the long run.

Everything I've read and seen about the 62 seems to indicate it is a really sweet plane. And the price is irrelevant to me. They could slash the price by 50% and I would still be a long ways off from being able to afford one! It could be $3 million for all I care.

I hope the long-term reliability of the new diesel proves out in the long run.

But for the price, two engines, want to burn jet A

kingair_c90gt_exterior.jpg

But for the price, two engines, want to burn jet A

kingair_c90gt_exterior.jpg
Another sweet plane, for sure, but a huge difference in operating costs. 12gph total at cruise vs. how many? 70? 80? 90?

There's certainly a place for both planes, depending on one's mission.

Another sweet plane, for sure, but a huge difference in operating costs. 12gph total at cruise vs. how many? 70? 80? 90?

Huge difference in acquisition costs as well as comfort/speed/payload, too. I don't think you'd really want to compare them on fuel consumption, but cost per mile. A used TBM or PC12 is probably going to be pretty competitive with a new DA62, and has more capability.

The C90 is also less purchase price and goes faster, might not be as much of a difference as you might think

The C90 is also less purchase price and goes faster, might not be as much of a difference as you might think
Insurance and maintenance, along with that fuel burn, is why many who can afford it go with the smaller, slower bird. (Not to mention that the new bird has a warranty.) I've seen a DA62 in person, and I think I'd like to have one. Many of my flights are just over an hour in that bird; I'd hate to hammer on a turbine and get more than one engine cycle per flight hour!

If I 1.4 Million Dollars!
Same here man, they are really incredible! Crazy expensive though.. and if I actually did have money like that I would feel bad buying a piston plane

If I had 1.4 million and was in the market for a twin, it would be a pristine Aerostar 700 for $500K and save the rest for operating costs.

If I had 1.4 million and was in the market for a twin, it would be a pristine Aerostar 700 for $500K and save the rest for operating costs.
Funny... I **ALMOST** replied that same thing. The Aerostar is pressurized and absolutely fast as sin... and it looks bad ass

upload_2019-2-27_20-50-5.png

Allegedly there is a turbine Aerostar that is out there too... this would be bad A$$ also.. mainly because every private jet has their engines on the tail.. but this mofo has 'em on the wings.. WHERE THEY BELONG!

... damn!

^^ 0.42 lbs of thrust per lb at gross weight.. that's actually not far from the original F14 Tomcat which had 0.56 (this was the old one before they switched engines, etc.)

41,000 ft and Mach 0.7... 200 knots climb speed and 5,000 ft/min. Now I'm going to be obsessing over this all night. 60 gallons an hr fuel consumption

So you want a Honda Jet?
I want to like that plane, but I just can't. That looks like the model you get as a kid and for giggles stick the wings on upside down

So you want a Honda Jet?

Yuck! It’s amazing what the difference in mounting the engines above vs below the wing can make. Despite the increase in drag, I’ll take below the wing.

Funny... I **ALMOST** replied that same thing. The Aerostar is pressurized and absolutely fast as sin... and it looks bad ass

View attachment 72095

Allegedly there is a turbine Aerostar that is out there too... this would be bad A$$ also.. mainly because every private jet has their engines on the tail.. but this mofo has 'em on the wings.. WHERE THEY BELONG!

... damn!

HOLY CRAP! I didn't even know this was a "thing".

IIRC from flying the C90 with Dave S, and assuming my lbs-gal conversions were correct, it climbed at about 100 gph total, and cruise at FL200 was about 64 gph total.

Until you maintain it...

There was a King Air that came into the shop for annual right after my Mooney this year. Needed new brakes... And they have to be pulled off and sent in to a shop that charges $5,000, then shipped back and reinstalled.

Brakes. $5K. That's an annual for me, not brakes! Plus, it's pressurized and deiced, so one of those cockpit windows costs $40K. Purchase and fuel is by far the cheap part of owning a turbine, I think... I bet @Ted DuPuis and @Eggman could tell us a thing or two about that.

Ever since I saw one of those go to pot out on the ramp at FGU, I’ve never been able to get the visual out of my head. The thing had mildew all over it, flat tires, you name it. I’ve always thought they’re ugly and that didn’t help change my mind! LOL

Brakes. $5K. That's an annual for me, not brakes! Plus, it's pressurized and deiced, so one of those cockpit windows costs $40K. Purchase and fuel is by far the cheap part of owning a turbine, I think... I bet @Ted DuPuis and @Eggman could tell us a thing or two about that.

King Airs per my understanding are some of the more expensive turboprops to own/operate. The MU-2s are essentially the cheapest.

Thus far, fuel is the most expensive part about flying the MU-2. Cost per hour is still less than the 414, making cost per mile much less. Dispatchability way up. The real catch is there are some higher dollar inspections and potential "gotchas" where the dollar signs go up vs. a piston equivalent. You have to have some level of "Do I feel lucky?" That said, most of those are around engines, and turbine engines generally go between inspections without much fuss. That can't be said for pistons.

Comparing to a DA-62 is not a reasonable comparison. The planes are completely different in size and mission. You'd need to compare to a 310 or a Baron to get more accurate numbers. Compare a DA-62 to a new Baron and I think you'll find the prices aren't that far off. You really can't throw that into the used market.

... damn!

Dayum..!!!!

I WANT.!!!

But then again, cost, if you have to ask....

1.4 in just money I could blow for a fun toy would mean i have more than just that in the bank, i could have a nice Cessna 185, keep my 140, put instruction insurance on it, go get my cfi and work part time at the airport doing lessons, keep working part time at my current business as well... beautiful plane though, but fast and glass just isnt my personal thing reguardless, definetly a plane i would admire but not desire...

Ted Smith originally designed and wanted the Aerostar to be jet powered, including mounting the engines under the wings.

Back