This is going to get expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they left the silk thread off! :D

Interesting. No mention of what they plan to replace them with other than money.

Ouch! That indeed will be expensive.

I wonder how many engines are affected?

yup.....had to be red tagged parts....quality escapes. o_O
Yep,, they have one crank that didn't pass, and it got installed, and they don't know which Serial number to re-call.

Or the Chinese bit them in the A$$

Or they just pushed things too far and ran out of safety margin, then got bit by installation variations.

This may be a good illustration of the unforeseen risks involved with experimental aviation.

Saw some discussion on this on some other boards. Couple of things I noted....The cranks are supposedly produced in Germany. Same crank in both engines, but it appears that the 400's are the only ones having failures. Discussion was that all the failures are different and failure times wildly vary. Some of the failed engines were run at the retarded timing since they were built, while others were run at the original timing and both retarded timing settings. There didn't seem to be anything common to the failures, other than the cranks themselves.

I didn't see any production numbers on the smaller engine, but 80 or so of the 400's out in the world.

As I understand it, Lycoming's 390's have cranks with larger diameter journals than the -360's have. Superior elected to go with a crank design for the '400's and -382's that maintained the same journal size as the 360.

I don't think there are a whole lot of -382's or -400's out in the world. I bet RV-14 owners/builders are the ones most impacted.

The 390 is an angle valve engine. Lots of differences.

The 400 is a stroked 360.

The pictures I can find of the 400 appear to have angle valve cylinders. Not that it matters for the sake of this discussion anyway, I believe the problems are elsewhere.

They do note that the issue is damage caused by detonation, and their efforts to quell the detonation didn't work. Their best bet at limiting exposure is to buy them back. So expect your replacement cylinders for your certified engines to go up in price to pay for this!

The 390 is an angle valve engine. Lots of differences.

The 400 is a stroked 360.

There are two substantially different Lyclone 360's. The 180 HP engine is a parallel valve engine, the 200 hp version is an angle valve. None the less, the journal size difference between the Superior's 400's and Lycoming's 390's is real.

Yep,, they have one crank that didn't pass, and it got installed, and they don't know which Serial number to re-call.

You don't know what happened, or why the recall. There's no need for that sort of racist garbage and it doesn't belong here.

You don't know what happened, or why the recall. There's no need for that sort of racist garbage and it doesn't belong here.
While I agree his speculation is premature just like all the other crap that gets said on here it’s wrong to call his comment racist. Leave that kind of crap somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back