This is FAA Security

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I just got a call while I was on a work phoe econfernce and only answered because ....I dunno....

"This is FAA Security. Is your plane flying in Oklahoma?" :hairraise:

If it is it's news to me.

"OK, somebody fat-fingered the number...."

"Where is the plane, etc?"

1) Who the hades is FAA Security?
2) What did the guy do?

Last edited:
Don't know. One day my phone said "AMOC" which I found out later stands for the Air-Marine Operations Center but they identified themselves as Homeland Security.

Have you checked the plane since the call? It may not be there now......

Did you give them the exact location? Hope not.

I just gto a call whiel I was on a work phoen confernce3 and only answered because ....I dunno....

2) What did the guy do?

Interesting. And you know this was the FAA how? Did he ask for your account numbers to verify your information? Not sure i would have gone down any path with them.

"This is FAA security..."

"Suuuuuuure.. click"

2) What did the guy do?

FAA security is as the name implies, security operations.

These people track and investigate security breaches within the FAA and operations as well as things like illegal hazmat shipments, unruly passengers on airlines, etc.

Have you checked the plane since the call? It may not be there now......

That's what I said but I would have gotten a call from the airport.

The caller didn't want any confidential information or I would have asked for a callback number.

Much like when I receive a call asking to speak to the "man of the house" I reply "Sure, what's his name, I'll go get him for you"
You're reply could have been "Give me the registration number and and I'll check on that"

You gotta toss the ball right back at them before they have time to think.

Much like when I receive a call asking to speak to the "man of the house" I reply "Sure, what's his name, I'll go get him for you"
You're reply could have been "Give me the registration number and and I'll check on that"

Yup... I can get them to bail in a heartbeat too....

I just speak softly to make them listen close, then take a deep breath and yell as loud as I can, "LEAVE ME ALONE!!" then hang up.

I would have asked for a name and call back number. Then Googled the number to see where it resolves before I said anything. If they are legit, they will have no prob. giving all that to you.

You might find yourself on some corny, scripted television repo show! Better go check to make sure she's still there!!

I did have the FAA call me. One of my neighbors forgot to close his VFR flight plan and they wanted to know if he was on field.

I shut down a TSA drone one day at SEA while going through security that way. "So, what are you doing today?" was his question. I replied, "Doing my imitation of self loading cargo on a pressurized aluminum mailing tube." He did not have a comeback to that, he had never heard it before. Now, with TSA Precheck they aren't quite so nosey. :yes:

Just last July, my plane flew in Oklahoma for 15 minutes without me.

Why waste the time toying with them? I just hang up.

I've heard people say that they like to try and waste the caller's time. To what end I have no idea. My time is better spent on other things.

I'd tell him to take you off their calling list.

There have been sightings of duplicate tail numbers landing at the same airport at the same time. If someone wanted to use a plane during a felony or worse, why wouldn't they put a bogus tail number on the plane?

I just got a call while I was on a work phoe econfernce and only answered because ....I dunno....

2) What did the guy do?

Looks like this may not be the first time someone in OK has used your tail number, Mike:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N284M

Just last July, my plane flew in Oklahoma for 15 minutes without me.

I swear I have an alibi. It wasn't me.

Why waste the time toying with them? I just hang up.

I've heard people say that they like to try and waste the caller's time. To what end I have no idea. My time is better spent on other things.

"Hey, thanks for calling me. Can I ask you a question..? I'm with the local Sheriff's posse and I want to know if you'd like to purchase a magazine subscription about how to make lots of money with Amway, Metabolife, or this other network marketing deal I have going?

"No? Okay, well my Elder at the local kingdom hall says I haven't converted enough people...."

"Hey, thanks for calling me. Can I ask you a question..? I'm with the local Sheriff's posse and I want to know if you'd like to purchase a magazine subscription about how to make lots of money with Amway, Metabolife, or this other network marketing deal I have going?

"No? Okay, well my Elder at the local kingdom hall says I haven't converted enough people...."

:rofl:.....:).....:thumbsup:

That's one of Tom Mabe's best.

There have been sightings of duplicate tail numbers landing at the same airport at the same time. If someone wanted to use a plane during a felony or worse, why wouldn't they put a bogus tail number on the plane?
They would. That's why N-numbers that don't appear "permanent" (e.g., painter's tape or the like) are one of the signs used by law enforcement to identify planes which may be involved in drug smuggling.

Back