"This is ATC, you are clear for the option"

Meanee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Meanee
... said on CTAF by some dumbass after I announced my downwind entry. Had me checking my frequencies. Felt like punching someone after I landed.

Overreaction, but still. Don't say pointless stuff on CTAF to someone you don't know. Ok, I feel better now.

Last edited:
Possibly not even a pilot. Could be some kid with a handheld transceiver.

Possibly not even a pilot. Could be some kid with a handheld transceiver.
"You are cleared for the option"? Not without a pilot feeding the kid lines, I would think. In any event, I've heard this sort of silliness on CTAF before when someone thinks they recognize the other pilot and want to play with that person. If they're wrong about the other pilot's identity, so the other pilot doesn't recognize the voice and just laugh, you get what happened to the OP.

"You are cleared for the option"? Not without a pilot feeding the kid lines, I would think. In any event, I've heard this sort of silliness on CTAF before when someone thinks they recognize the other pilot and want to play with that person. If they're wrong about the other pilot's identity, so the other pilot doesn't recognize the voice and just laugh, you get what happened to the OP.
Good point, but would like to blame it on some kid that does not know better, than a pilot who should know better.

when i was taking my instrument check ride, we shot a vor approach at KHWV and it has a unicom. when we switched the advisory freq, we heard pilots discussing what kind/ what toppings do they want on a burger. my DPE was furious and yelled at them to stop clogging up the frequency and stop being A$$es!

There have only been a couple times needless chat on the radio has bothered me at uncontrolled field. At one, there were three runways that intersected; so, with any traffic, one wanted to pay attention to which runway, especially, if the one not favoring the wind was being used in addition to what some call the active. Local folks were just hootin and hollern back and forth so much, I couldn't make traffic calls. Someone finally heard me and said: hey, someone's trying to come in. I got a short break to announce and they started acting like it was a ham radio again.

When I got fuel at the FBO, I mentioned it and they made an announcement that someone with the FAA had landing and was checking things. Very quiet when I departed (g).

Best,

Dave

when i was taking my instrument check ride, we shot a vor approach at KHWV and it has a unicom. when we switched the advisory freq, we heard pilots discussing what kind/ what toppings do they want on a burger. my DPE was furious and yelled at them to stop clogging up the frequency and stop being A$$es!

Hey, I've heard a bizjet having a conversation with his base to make arrival arrangements over 121.5.

I don't see the harm in a little humor like that. Especially if it's a small bugsmasher field with little traffic. I don't do it, but I do enjoy listening to short bursts of humor occasionally.

I don't even mind folks making arrangement as long as they're not tying up the radio too long. I have to admit that it does bother me when guys carry on a long-winded conversation though.

You have every right to be angry. Such a stunt contributed to three fatalities at KFWN.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/ntsb/narrative.cfm?ackey=1&evid=20001212X19616
I think here is a great example why it is so important to remember that when we are flying and are pilot in command we really are in command, and need to always think about what we are doing and being told to do, and if we are uncertain, or know what we are being asked to do is potentially not safe, or not safe, or something we cannot do we have the right... no we have the responsibility to say unable, and do what we think is right. I find it interesting that the NTSB did not even mention the erroneous unicom call in their probable cause, and laid the blame for the accident squarely and solely on the pilots improper decision.

A much simpler explanation is a CFI could have been simulating ATC to a student pilot and accidently pushed the PTT button during the delivery. Heck, I've done it myself while talking to a passenger; kind off an automatic brain-fart. Way back when my CFI used to play ATC especially when practicing to land at a controlled airport for the 1st time. The fact that you were on downwind could have been pure coincidence; may not have even been at your airport given the overlap of UNICOM frequencies.

When I got fuel at the FBO, I mentioned it and they made an announcement that someone with the FAA had landing and was checking things. Very quiet when I departed (g).

Best,

Dave

When I worked for the Navy in the late 1970s we had a van full of radio gear for the testing we performed. Had a CB up front. Somebody at a gas station would ask what the gear was for and one of our stock (phony) answers was "helping the FCC look for illegal CBers". We could clean up a channel for several days with a crack like that. :D

There have only been a couple times needless chat on the radio has bothered me at uncontrolled field. At one, there were three runways that intersected; so, with any traffic, one wanted to pay attention to which runway, especially, if the one not favoring the wind was being used in addition to what some call the active. Local folks were just hootin and hollern back and forth so much, I couldn't make traffic calls. Someone finally heard me and said: hey, someone's trying to come in. I got a short break to announce and they started acting like it was a ham radio again.

Best,

Dave

Increasingly, when I get dropped to CTAF and switch freqs, I can't hear a thing due to so much overlap/interference. I don't want to be some old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn, but if tightening up radio calls and cutting out party-line chatter cuts down on overly congested CTAFs, I'm all for it... As is, I end up making 3-4 calls, "Traffic near XXX, say again position and intentions...", as I only hear bits in pieces in the radio-squeal and would really like to know where the other plane near my destination is / what they're doing -- before we're way too close for comfort.

Back