This guy dropped by the airport today!

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Smokin' hot!

(Pardon the delay in attaching the pic...apparently one more iOS 8 bug...one of many...walking to my laptop as we speak)

Okay, now that I'm on technology that actually works (not apple)...here's the photo.

Attachments

• Legend.jpg
    Legend.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Sweet plane.

I wonder why they made the canopy flip up instead of a slider?

Sweet plane.

I wonder why they made the canopy flip up instead of a slider?

Good question but not sure where it would slide. We had a couple of those babies at a fly- in a couple years ago. Dreamy planes! Kind like a new Ferrari or Lambo.

Flight plans for 250kts on flightaware very nice.

Good question but not sure where it would slide. We had a couple of those babies at a fly- in a couple years ago. Dreamy planes! Kind like a new Ferrari or Lambo.
Yeah, I guess looking at it more closely, the canopy is longer than the turtle deck. Thus the flip up canopy.

Which begs the new question: Why not flip forward, so that it's not catastrophic when it pops open in flight?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that? Judging by the prop I'm betting it's got just a little bit of power!

I am friends with the owner, just got back from a weekend at the Reno air races with him and 12 other buddies. He had the plane in Florida for an engine overhaul and is coming home. Amazing performance.

I get a ride in that bad boy when he gets back! :happydance:

Last edited:
Where is he from? Definitely not a native Nebraska boy. Or was the person flying it yesterday not the owner? Young, lean guy with a "non-american" accent.

Here's a Lancair IVP (pressurized) that my brother built:

N750S.jpg

Here's a Lancair IVP (pressurized) that my brother built:

N750S.jpg
The Lancair guys refer to the turbine version by the designation Lancair IVPT. Not to berate the Legend, but I would take one of these any day over the Legend. Very nice plane.

100 gallons of fuel is pretty limiting...even at 275ktas.
I wonder what the fuel flow is?
I am guessing it has about 2 and 15 minutes hours total flying time with no reserves....

I am friends with the owner, just got back from a weekend at the Reno air races with him and 12 other buddies. He had the plane in Florida for an engine overhaul and is coming home. Amazing performance.

I get a ride in that bad boy when he gets back! :happydance:

Should feel similar in performance as your Mustang ride. Probably a little bit lighter on the controls in this one.

Yeah, I guess looking at it more closely, the canopy is longer than the turtle deck. Thus the flip up canopy.

Which begs the new question: Why not flip forward, so that it's not catastrophic when it pops open in flight?

Probably so you can eject if you need to?

Agree that the IV-P is more practical/useful. I'd love to have one, but judging by the NTSB reports, they are death traps.... How does a non-career pilot learn to fly one safely (if that's even possible...)

Agree that the IV-P is more practical/useful. I'd love to have one, but judging by the NTSB reports, they are death traps.... How does a non-career pilot learn to fly one safely (if that's even possible...)

Very carefully, with a good instructor. I know someone who has one, and a Pitts S1. The IVPT is a sweet ride, I love the sound of the 4-blade prop in beta thrust. It is really fast all the way to the pavement!

He just rolled his SUV on the interstate and passed away a week ago.

I have several hours in one and they are certainly challenging. They land at jet speeds and are unstable. Particularly at IMC, things happen very fast in one. You gotta be on your game.

Very carefully, with a good instructor. I know someone who has one, and a Pitts S1. The IVPT is a sweet ride, I love the sound of the 4-blade prop in beta thrust. It is really fast all the way to the pavement!

He just rolled his SUV on the interstate and passed away a week ago.

:sad::sad:..

A new defination of irony...:(

Where is he from? Definitely not a native Nebraska boy. Or was the person flying it yesterday not the owner? Young, lean guy with a "non-american" accent.

He was the owner. A local entrepreneur. From England I think.

Last edited:
Lancair has a group of pilots which are factory approved for transition training:
http://www.hp-at.com/

When I bought my Lancair I got 10 hours dual with one of their former (I believe former) instructors. He was by far the best instructor I have ever had. His resume included USAF F16 pilot plus many other USAF aircraft, airline pilot, corporate pilot, USAF flight instructor, among other experience.

On the Lancair forum I read recently one guy stated he had an insurance requirement of 50 hours dual for coverage in his Lancair IVP.

It took me around 100 hours in mine before I felt somewhat confident, and a few hundred before I felt like I owned it. It takes flights at least once per month or I feel rusty.

Wow, that looks nice. 1125 sm range w/ 125 gal tank is not bad on gas either. Is it pressurized? How many exist?
No, not pressurized and I believe there are only 2.

Back