This doesn't sound fun.

Do flight attendants have a max hours per workday restriction like pilots do?

It's not that much longer than the 16 hour HK to SF flight, which isn't that bad in business class.

You'd think eventually we it would be possible to go non stop anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world.

I had to do some math to figure what is the longest possible flight distance between any two points. Google says about 12,500 miles, give or take. So assuming 500 knots average, 24-25 hours flight time would cover any possible city pair in the world.

Didn't the old propeller giants log absurdly long flights.. the Stratocruiser, DC-7, Constellation, Clipper, that routinely hit 20 hrs in flight? The Constellation I seem to recall had an absolute endurance of around 23 hours

Might try it if I was in business class. Cheap seats anything over seven hours is too much.

Surprised some bright egg in management hasn't walked into their bosses office and started a conversation with...

"Boss, you know all those KC-135's they got sitting in the desert that we might be able to get for cheap?"​

The longest flight I have ever done was 15 hr 20 min in a 777 over the Pacific. In biz class.
This was shortly after I came back from 8 years living abroad in Europe and the Middle East, and the experience of many dozens of cross-Atlantic flights (which are mercifully much shorter).
I remember strolling the aisle about hour 6 and thinking to myself "gawd there's more than 9 hours to go".

You'd think eventually we it would be possible to go non stop anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world.

I had to do some math to figure what is the longest possible flight distance between any two points. Google says about 12,500 miles, give or take. So assuming 500 knots average, 24-25 hours flight time would cover any possible city pair in the world.
Wow! So you could fly from New York to, say, Boston NONSTOP! ;)

I flew to S.Korea a couple of times, over 13 hours from LA/SF to Seoul. First time in a crappy old 747, miserable. 2nd time, Korean Air A380. That was SO much better. Even cheap as economy seats and I'm a big dude. I took a walk many times, and even went upstairs to see how the rest of the world flies. The business pods looked awesome.

The longest flight I have ever done was 15 hr 20 min in a 777 over the Pacific. In biz class.
This was shortly after I came back from 8 years living abroad in Europe and the Middle East, and the experience of many dozens of cross-Atlantic flights (which are mercifully much shorter).
I remember strolling the aisle about hour 6 and thinking to myself "gawd there's more than 9 hours to go".

Yup, about 15hrs from Dallas to Dubai direct. I've never had the luxury of flying it business class, but Emirates economy isn't the worst thing ever. I've made the trip 3 times in the past 2 years, and doing it again in November. It technically qualifies for my company's business class upgrade, but at $8K, it's a bit more than the VP's are willing to swallow so I don't bother trying.

I did SFO to Tokyo... that sucked as it was supposed to be SFO to Osaka, so not only did I get to change planes in Tokyo I also got the last row, middle seat, middle group of seats, that was miserable. (My connection from where I fly out of was delayed into SFO so I ended up on a different flight.)

The return was a window seat, bulkhead row with the middle seat empty and out of Osaka, that was like 6% less horrible.

All cattle class.

I normally get hammered in the business class lounge, and sleep most of the flight on the long trans pacific runs. Seems to work out pretty well.

14:30 LA to Sydney. Not as bad as I feared. I was in the only row in economy that had an empty middle seat. Sometimes it all works out.

I've averaged a 12-13 hr leg every month or two over the past 2 years. I guess I have a higher threshold of misery than a lot of people...but I also don't have much of a choice.

Nauga,
who likes food

That's a whole lot of nope, there. 11 hours coming back from Europe is more than plenty.

My longest was 14 hours, I made a promise to myself never to do that again

12 hours between Inchon and LA in a 777. My routine was watch a movie, then sleep for about 30 minutes, walk the aisles until the FAs asked me to sit, listen to music for about 30 minutes, try to sleep for 30 minutes, walk, eat the wonderful airline meal, walk, sit down when requested and wonder how much longer to go.

Finally the FAs started walking the aisle with a bottle of red and a bottle of white. I had a cup for each one.

One thing I noticed was about 4 hours after departure, the lights in the cabin area started getting dimmer. After a couple hours it was dark inside. At one point I woke up and someone opened a window shade and it was sunny and bright outside. After a few more hours I noticed the lights coming on, a dim but rosy type light, and slowly got brighter for the next couple hours until they were fully on, and then breakfast was served.

Whats the big concern?
-IV drip for everyone
-urinary catheters; check
-everyone take an aspirin for DVT prevention
-sensors detect liftoff and releases titrated dose of phenobarb into the IV line
“L&G please prepare for landing, remove your catheters and place them in the seat pocket in front of you...”

Whats the big concern?
-IV drip for everyone
-urinary catheters; check
-everyone take an aspirin for DVT prevention
-sensors detect liftoff and releases titrated dose of phenobarb into the IV line
“L&G please prepare for landing, remove your catheters and place them in the seat pocket in front of you...”
Going to be an emergency if more than one lav goes down. LOL

14:30 LA to Sydney. Not as bad as I feared. I was in the only row in economy that had an empty middle seat. Sometimes it all works out.
It was a long time ago, but I was working on the other side of the world when United bought Pan Am's Pacific routes (including aircraft and crews!). For quite some time thereafter
those flights were nearly empty. Want an entire row to yourself? No problem! I would find one and sack out.

My longest flight was around 16 hours - Sydney to L.A. in a 747SP. That is too long!. I just did 11 Hours plus L.A. to Paris and back a couple weeks ago. Still too long. However, it
is better than stopping multiple times, with the inevitable layovers. It gets harder to do as you get older.

Dave

That doesn't include the 4 or 5 hours on the tarmac waiting for a slot

Quantas is testing out a 20 hour flight. The test includes medical monitoring of the passengers(and crew). I'm thinking if you have to go that far that maybe it's not such a good idea for a flight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49430711

It's not that much longer than the 16 hour HK to SF flight, which isn't that bad in business class.

You guys all take the short flights. SFO to SIN on a UA 787 is 18 hours. LAX to SIN in the same plane is 19 hours. Those are already on the books. I've taken the SFO-SIN flight a couple times, both in E+ coach. I don't really like it, but they get entirely too much for the seats up front, especially when I'm traveling on my dime. 20 hours is only marginally longer.

Longest non-stop I've done is 12 hours IAD-NRT or JFK-RIO DE JAERO, both on 747's.

Longest chain of flights is I did 20 hours in a 707 from Nairobi back to JFK, or 26 hours from Cairns-Sydney-LAX-IAD.

Not a fan of long flights.
For my once or twice a year trips to Europe, I have found a few hops with connections that have less than five hour legs.

I went on an eighteen-hour bus ride. Once. Never again.

KSFO to ZSPD, or KLAX to YSSY, are both about 15 hours. They'll upgrade me to first class between KORD and KIND, but never for these longer flights.

Do flight attendants have a max hours per workday restriction like pilots do?
far 121.467

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, a certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations may assign a duty period to a flight attendant only when the applicable duty period limitations and rest requirements of this paragraph are met.

(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(4), (b)(5), and (b)(6) of this section, no certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations may assign a flight attendant to a scheduled duty period of more than 14 hours.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, a flight attendant scheduled to a duty period of 14 hours or less as provided under paragraph (b)(1) of this section must be given a scheduled rest period of at least 9 consecutive hours. This rest period must occur between the completion of the scheduled duty period and the commencement of the subsequent duty period.

(3) The rest period required under paragraph (b)(2) of this section may be scheduled or reduced to 8 consecutive hours if the flight attendant is provided a subsequent rest period of at least 10 consecutive hours; this subsequent rest period must be scheduled to begin no later than 24 hours after the beginning of the reduced rest period and must occur between the completion of the scheduled duty period and the commencement of the subsequent duty period.

(4) A certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations may assign a flight attendant to a scheduled duty period of more than 14 hours, but no more than 16 hours, if the certificate holder has assigned to the flight or flights in that duty period at least one flight attendant in addition to the minimum flight attendant complement required for the flight or flights in that duty period under the certificate holder's operations specifications.

(5) A certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations may assign a flight attendant to a scheduled duty period of more than 16 hours, but no more than 18 hours, if the certificate holder has assigned to the flight or flights in that duty period at least two flight attendants in addition to the minimum flight attendant complement required for the flight or flights in that duty period under the certificate holder's operations specifications.

(6) A certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations may assign a flight attendant to a scheduled duty period of more than 18 hours, but no more than 20 hours, if the scheduled duty period includes one or more flights that land or take off outside the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia, and if the certificate holder has assigned to the flight or flights in that duty period at least three flight attendants in addition to the minimum flight attendant complement required for the flight or flights in that duty period under the domestic certificate holder's operations specifications.

(7) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(8) of this section, a flight attendant scheduled to a duty period of more than 14 hours but no more than 20 hours, as provided in paragraphs (b)(4), (b)(5), and (b)(6) of this section, must be given a scheduled rest period of at least 12 consecutive hours. This rest period must occur between the completion of the scheduled duty period and the commencement of the subsequent duty period.

(8) The rest period required under paragraph (b)(7) of this section may be scheduled or reduced to 10 consecutive hours if the flight attendant is provided a subsequent rest period of at least 14 consecutive hours; this subsequent rest period must be scheduled to begin no later than 24 hours after the beginning of the reduced rest period and must occur between the completion of the scheduled duty period and the commencement of the subsequent duty period.

(9) Notwithstanding paragraphs (b)(4), (b)(5), and (b)(6) of this section, if a certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations elects to reduce the rest period to 10 hours as authorized by paragraph (b)(8) of this section, the certificate holder may not schedule a flight attendant for a duty period of more than 14 hours during the 24-hour period commencing after the beginning of the reduced rest period.

(10) No certificate holder conducting domestic, flag, or supplemental operations may assign a flight attendant any duty period with the certificate holder unless the flight attendant has had at least the minimum rest required under this section.

Surprised some bright egg in management hasn't walked into their bosses office and started a conversation with...

"Boss, you know all those KC-135's they got sitting in the desert that we might be able to get for cheap?"​
I'm sure someone has thought of it. But we now have plenty of airliners capable of flying more than halfway around the earth.

Back