This 690B Ought to Scoot

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
Daddy like. Anyone wanna go in on a partnership? I can probably afford to fill the tanks a few times per year.

https://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=174184&listingType=true

1_162.jpg

300 KTAS on 100 GPH. It's not bad.

I kinda laughed to myself when it was an "inquire for price", since the avionics/interior work alone were going to put the price into the stratosphere, much less the -10s.

How's the short field performance?

I kinda laughed to myself when it was an "inquire for price", since the avionics/interior work alone were going to put the price into the stratosphere, much less the -10s.

Basically "inquire for price" means "More than you want to pay, let us try to convince you why it's worth it anyway."

That would be great for $1,000 hamburger runs

Only if the run was very short.

How's the short field performance?

A friend of mine used to keep his 690C (which I think had -10s) at his private 2600 ft strip. Commanders do well at short fields.

That is beautiful, but can't imagine the cost.

We (Intel) leased a Commander 1500 (turbo-prop) for weekly runs from KHIO to KOLM back in 1995/1996 when we were building the plant in DuPont, WA. 6 passengers plus crew of 2. But those 3 in the back seat had better be good friends as it was a tight squeeze. I preferred the seat facing crossways from the door.

Sweet on the inside and out. Need a big tall hangar for it.

I'm a sucker for nice Commanders...pulse goes up and I think about the possibilities. :confused:

This is definitely a beautiful bird.

A friend of mine used to keep his 690C (which I think had -10s) at his private 2600 ft strip. Commanders do well at short fields.
Oh! You know Dave Phifer? Oh, wait, his strip (15WA) is only 2,000' and he flies his Commander in/out of it!
:)

Oh! You know Dave Phifer? Oh, wait, his strip (15WA) is only 2,000' and he flies his Commander in/out of it!
:)

Nah, different fellow. :)

Love those turbo commodes, but someone always paid me to fly them. The fuel is pretty cheap, compared hot section inspections, mandatory windshield replacements, and scores of other obscenely expensive surprises.

Love those turbo commodes, but someone always paid me to fly them. The fuel is pretty cheap, compared hot section inspections, mandatory windshield replacements, and scores of other obscenely expensive surprises.

My experience watching my boss dealing with Commander maintenance (and talking to friends with them) have indicated that they're good airplanes, but they definitely have a good amount of MX to keep them good airplanes, and expensive parts to boot. The nice thing is that they're still supported. That's a positive for them vs. planes like the Cheyenne and, to a lesser degree, Conquest. Cessna will support the Conquest, just that they don't really want to and parts may be insane. Piper doesn't even know what the Cheyenne is anymore from what I can tell.

I really like the Garrett powered airplanes, which sadly are all disappearing. Commanders, Merlins, 441s, MU2s that all haul a55 and sip fuel. But if you always thought a Duke was expensive, it’s child’s play (financially) next to one these hot rods. One thing in common: they all have tables in the back - for the owners to write checks! The Dash 10 version of any of the aforementioned airplanes will offer a no kidding 290-320KTAS, the Merlin a sea level cabin @ 17000ft. or 2000nm range. All can be had for Cirrus money, but unlike the Cirri, require experienced pilot(s). All can be flown single pilot, but he better bring his A game.

Actually, they'll do 300kts on 60-65gals/hr. Garrett's can't be beat for fuel economy - they shame PT6's.

She's high time, and high time 690's, even with -10 engines and a great panel, seem to top out around $800K. Anyone who's got more to spend, will go for the later Jetprop 840/900/980/1000-models. They're just better aircraft. Jetprops tend to start at around $7-800K at their lowest, which prevents 690's from going much higher.

My guess this plane should normally be in the $650K range, but because she has the Garmin 950 system installed, it could probably be worth around $800K for the right buyer. BTW, just as a point of reference, the Garmin 950 system in this one is a $350K installation just by itself, so if you want that stuff, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

300 on 60-65 GPH doesn’t pass my sniff test or my experience (with 690s or MU2s). Where are you getting those numbers from? We did 270 on 75 gph combined in the 690 at FL270.

You probably had a -5 engine aircraft. The 690's also have a shorter wing, so tend to have to run a little more fuel to keep that speed compared to a long wing Jetprop. A -10 Jetprop will def do 297-300kts on less than 65gal/hr up there. Look at this video of my friends 980 at around 1:18 mark - we're at FL280, doing 298kts (if I recall correctly) and burning about 210-220lbs/side. 62gal/hr.

Come to think of it, the only thing I didn’t really like about flying that genre of airplane (turboprops) is the abissmal ATC service one gets in those machines when flying into any busy airspace. Can’t get within 100mn of any airport in the Bay Area (if IFR) without getting descended out of smooth air and down in to the bumps and wichita flak.

Back