Third crash in six years

Jeez......

The guy is jinxed for sure... Probably should quit flying..

Ps..

I -80 is very wide... I would like to hear the reason he ran off the road and killed the front gear...

That guy might want to try something else as a hobby.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Same plane or is he on a personal quest to rid the world of all remaining Ercoupes? Also, how do you "crash" on a 90 foot wide interstate highway?

The fact that he has crashed three times and not killed himself is impressive.

The pic of the top plane appears to be making power when it came down. I recognize the curl on the prop. I guess if he was having engine trouble, I can't fault him for setting down when and where he had a choice before something worse happens.

Same plane or is he on a personal quest to rid the world of all remaining Ercoupes? Also, how do you "crash" on a 90 foot wide interstate highway?

That's hilarious. :lol:

At the very least if he wants to continue the hobby he should try a different airplane make & model.

Since I've flown in the area once, maybe twice I'll comment that the only thing that makes sense to me is that he flew up the canyon and the ground out climbed him.

If he was flying from any direction but west he would have been high enough to land down on the flats and if he had even partial power he should have been able to make LAR.

The exception to my analysis is that he may have been caught by high winds. I'm thinking an Ercoupe prolly isn't a great climbing machine at 7 or 8,000 msl...

Yeah, he had 'engine problems'. As in; not enough HP to maintain level flight at full throttle.

I was coming back from N AZ with a buddy once and we got over Taos with a nice updraft and a few bumpies, I warned him we were in for Mr Toads Wild ride in about 20 minutes. Man, I got past the peak about 10 miles and we were in an elevator headed for the basement!

The fact that he has crashed three times and not killed himself is impressive.

The fact that it is an Ercoupe/Aircoupe is telling here. Like the old legend about the Piper Cub: This is the safest plane in the air. It can just barely kill you.

Get right back on the horse..... Dude needs to find something safer like sky diving.

Supposed to be an easy plane to fly. Not a very lucky man.

Supposed to be an easy plane to fly. Not a very lucky man.

One of the rules of working with equipment is that one has to be smarter than the equipment. I think the subject gentleman fails to meet that rule.

We have a local with three gear-ups, in the same airplane. Not someone you fly with twice.

Years ago when I was an apprentice A&P a guy towed his Ercoupe into our shop with wings removed. He had experienced a fuel problem and had landed at a nearby model airplane flying field. He wanted us to do the annual and put the wings back on. So I pull out the seats and the first thing I see is that he has a garden hose with worm clamps as a fuel line. You know, the green stuff with a yellow stripe you get from Kmart.

The IA told me to push it outside and wouldn't have anything to do with it.

The guy is jinxed for sure... Probably should quit flying..

"But on Saturday after more than 20 years of flying, Stan told 24 Hour News 8 that he has decided to stay grounded.

“I’m not going to put my family through this anymore.”"

I believe he has quit.

"But on Saturday after more than 20 years of flying, Stan told 24 Hour News 8 that he has decided to stay grounded.

“I’m not going to put my family through this anymore.”"

I believe he has quit.

Awwww...cmon!!!! This kitty has 6 lives left!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 33
Years ago when I was an apprentice A&P a guy towed his Ercoupe into our shop with wings removed. He had experienced a fuel problem and had landed at a nearby model airplane flying field. He wanted us to do the annual and put the wings back on. So I pull out the seats and the first thing I see is that he has a garden hose with worm clamps as a fuel line. You know, the green stuff with a yellow stripe you get from Kmart.

The IA told me to push it outside and wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Hey, you can get all sorts of things for your airplane at Lowe's... especially if you have wood spars.

Once is an accident.
Twice is a coincidence.
Three times is a pattern.

Back