Third Coast Formation Flight

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
Finally got around to making the video for our 3 ship flight to the coast at the beginning of November with a few PoA'ers.

Prolly not good to post a vid of busting VFR mins. Just sayin.

Prolly not good to post a vid of busting VFR mins. Just sayin.

Bahahaha, I love that you're somehow able to conclude that any mins were busted from that video without a whole truckload of conjecture. Remember Ass-u-m-e will get you in trouble everytime.

Just enjoy the video so I don't have to bear slap you across the face with reality.

Last edited:
Bahahaha, I love that you're somehow able to conclude that any mins were busted from that video without a whole truckload of conjecture. Remember Ass-u-m-e will get you in trouble everytime.

Just enjoy the video so I don't have to bear slap you across the face with reality.

Are you ammused that you got called out on it or trying to minimize my findings by name calling and redirection?

It's not hard for any pilot with more than a few hours to see you guys were not observing the 500, 1k, 2k requirements. That's cool....your ticket, not mine.

Thanks for posting. What type of plane is the red/white low wing? Pretty cool looking.

It's not hard for any pilot with more than a few hours to see you guys were not observing the 500, 1k, 2k requirements. That's cool....your ticket, not mine.

With no point of reference you cannot tell how far they are from/above/below clouds. There is nothing in this video that shows anyone conclusively breaking clouds clearances. I don't know how many times I've been on top of a layer thinking I was 500 to 1000 feet above it, only to descend 1500 feet and still be in the clear.

What I want to know is how can I try out some of those customized headsets!

Yeah, there's no frame of reference available to conclude anything was amiss. Loved the video! One of these days I plan to make that trip myself since it's just a short hop down the coast.

With no point of reference you cannot tell how far they are from/above/below clouds. There is nothing in this video that shows anyone conclusively breaking clouds clearances. I don't know how many times I've been on top of a layer thinking I was 500 to 1000 feet above it, only to descend 1500 feet and still be in the clear.

Other than the prop going through the top of one cloud?

Enjoyed the video. I went 10 miles above the speed limit in my truck today if anyone cares.
No one wants to ride with you, Mav......you're dangerous!

1bite.jpg

Other than the prop going through the top of one cloud?

If you can see through it, it's not a cloud. And since neither of us were there, we can't speak to the opaqueness nor transparency of it.

Then again, could have easily gotten a clearance for a flight of three with block altitude, and you wouldn't have any Cheerios to **** in. Just sayin.

Last edited:
I slow rolled through a stop sign today...thank god I didn't get it on film

Nice video, Shane! Always enjoy seeing videos you make along with Paul's Mooney. Looking forward to flying with you guys again sometime soon.

My point is he posted that **** to YouTube like a fool. I'd bet every single pilot has busted something on a regular basis, but only a numb nuts would post it for all to see.

You don't think faa trolls forums, FB, Twitter and all that mess? Knock-knock....who's there? Inspector. Inspector who? I'm gonna inspector your license and trade you a yellow slip for it.

I've posted a bunch of times that I don't wear my safety belt while taxiing the airplane to and from the pumps/hangar. In 10 years of being on this forum, I have yet to hear from the FAA about it.

I need to go buy some stock in some foil companies.

The faa rules don't apply to military flights. :rolleyes:

I wish that were the case. While each branch has waivers and their own regulatory manuals, FARs are still applicable to military aircraft. Only time they're not is when each service's regulatory manual is in conflict with the FARs. I assure you, their VFR / VMC mins are almost identical to the FARs. Whether or not the Blues have a waiver for BCC?:dunno:

Last edited:
What cameras and mounting systems and filters did you use on the outside of the plane?

I used a GoPro Hero 4 Session with a polarizing filter and the frame rate set to 60 fps. The camera is temporarily mounted using the GoPro sticky mount. They hold solid and are easily removed with a hair dryer and a short piece of fishing line.

I wish that were the case. While each branch has waivers and their own regulatory manuals, FARs are still applicable to military aircraft. Only time they're not is when each service's regulatory manual is in conflict with the FARs. I assure you, their VFR / VMC mins are almost identical to the FARs. Whether or not the Blues have a waiver for BCC?:dunno:

agree with all above……pretty common misconception that FAR's don't apply, but the places where some are waived are pretty few and far between. So far, I think the FAA has done a pretty good job writing regs that keep pilots out of trouble/accidents/danger, and you'd probably be hard pressed to find many professional military aviators who genuinely needed or wanted to deviate from them in US airspace. Doesn't really help the rest of the US airspace system if we are just out there unpredictably flying by our own rules willy nilly. I'd imagine those are the reasons why military flight regs are nearly mirror images of the FARs in the areas that are actually covered by FARs. Now if you want to talk about how well versed the average military pilot is with FARs, I'd say that varies widely. Most folks are intimately familiar with the ones that apply to their normal operations. Ask a typical pointy nosed type about VFR sectional symbology, or VFR cloud clearances in uncontrolled airspace, and my guess is that you would get some funny looks. Aside from a few places (like where I fly), we roll around on IFR clearances and either get IFR handling to the initial, or shoot some form of precision approach. That isn't a blanket statement, since some are just more interested in the trade than others, or perhaps (like myself) spend a lot more time in the pure VFR environment. I'd qualify that by saying that your average VFR-only GA pilot also probably doesn't know IFR procedures or regs. Though conceivably useful in a broad situational awareness sense, those bits of knowledge just aren't readily required for those specific scenarios. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Ask a typical pointy nosed type about VFR sectional symbology, or VFR cloud clearances in uncontrolled airspace, and my guess is that you would get some funny looks. Aside from a few places (like where I fly), we roll around on IFR clearances and either get IFR handling to the initial, or shoot some form of precision approach. That isn't a blanket statement, since some are just more interested in the trade than others, or perhaps (like myself) spend a lot more time in the pure VFR environment. I'd qualify that by saying that your average VFR-only GA pilot also probably doesn't know IFR procedures or regs. Though conceivably useful in a broad situational awareness sense, those bits of knowledge just aren't readily required for those specific scenarios. Just my .02.

Absolutely true. Even with civilian ATP and CFII ratings I really had to educate myself about VFR flying when I bought an airplane and started flying GA. We seldom have occasion to use many of the VFR rules on military sorties. Everything from visual maneuvering to large-force engagements is almost always done on an IFR clearance.

Cool video by the way. We've been to Mustang Beach several times this year in our Lance and actually plan to do a 2-ship of Lances there soon. Hopefully we'll get some good pictures.

Last edited:
Awesome video! Loved the views!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome video! Loved the views!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really is one of the prettiest places in the country to fly. Mary and I are blessed to live and fly here, and we never grow tired of the view. Y'all should come visit us, and see for yourselves!
:)

My point is he posted that **** to YouTube like a fool. I'd bet every single pilot has busted something on a regular basis, but only a numb nuts would post it for all to see.

You don't think faa trolls forums, FB, Twitter and all that mess? Knock-knock....who's there? Inspector. Inspector who? I'm gonna inspector your license and trade you a yellow slip for it.

Sometimes it's hard to just admit when you're wrong and it's natural to get defensive there little camper. I'm guilty of it myself on occasion. However, calling me a fool is stepping outside what little mind you have boy.

You're having a difficult time with reality vs you're lala land perception of it. But since you've got it all figured out, stop talking about it and send it on up the ladder. See what response you get, since you obviously need someone with a badge to set you straight. Nobody else telling you is obviously working. I'd do it in person for you, but we both know you wouldn't show.

Get a clue or get out.

Last edited:
I'm guilty of it myself on occasion. However, calling me a fool is stepping outside what little mind you have boy.

On occasion? Oh, and you might want to reread his post. He did not call you a fool.

I may be wrong, Shane, but I'd bet you're losing more customers with every post here. I know you long ago lost me.

You would have been far better off last night to have backed away from the keyboard, taken your bi-polar meds, and gotten a good night's sleep.

And, yeah, I know, I'm the pot calling the kettle black. The difference being that the audience here isn't my core customer base.

On occasion? Oh, and you might want to reread his post. He did not call you a fool.

I may be wrong, Shane, but I'd bet you're losing more customers with every post here. I know you long ago lost me.

You would have been far better off last night to have backed away from the keyboard, taken your bi-polar meds, and gotten a good night's sleep.

And, yeah, I know, I'm the pot calling the kettle black. The difference being that the audience here isn't my core customer base.
This post perfectly characterizes the trolls on POA.

Step 1. Bait the O.P. (Archhammer, in this case) by insulting his intelligence and performance. (In this case, it's a video.) Throw in a veiled threat with the FAA. Be obnoxious.

Step 2. The O.P. responds to insults with actual facts, at first with humor.

Step 3. Other posters, seeing the veiled threats and misinformation by the first troll, double down, adding fuel to the fire.

Step 4. O.P. responds, slightly angry, and a bit sarcastic, trying to point out the facts.

Step 5. Trolls pile on, with personal insults and threats, in this case, to the O.P.'s business.

It's the same 5-step procedure, day after day, ad nauseum. You would think these same few guys would get tired of it, but they never do, and there always seems to be more trolls born every day.

Shane, your video is fine, and wonderful. Please post more, when you get the chance!

Back