Third Class medical reform moving forward albeit slowly

I think PBOR2 represents what its sponsor, Sen Inhofe, thinks it should be. I really don't think him and the FAA have a back door conspiracy going on. It's been posted on his web site for months getting pilot input.

I'm not going to give the FAA any credit for being our advocates on this.

I'm not aware of anyone outside the ARC and other persons in the rulemaking process knowing what's in the FAA's proposal, and they're all strictly prohibited from disclosing what's in it. So I find it likely your question is assuming facts not in evidence unless you've got a stolen backchannel copy which perhaps you can share with the rest of us. Or are you confusing the AOPA/EAA proposal (which included VFR only along with several other parameters) with the FAA's still-confidential proposed regulations.

Yes, I must have gotten it confused with the AOPA one.

I thought the rumors were that the FAA's was nearly identical but yes, I guess we do not actually know.

Yes, I must have gotten it confused with the AOPA one.
Understandable.

I thought the rumors were that the FAA's was nearly identical but yes, I guess we do not actually know.
Those are the rumors, and I think they're probably close to the truth, but I don't know for sure. And if I did know, I couldn't say what I knew anyway. :wink2:

What's the :rolleyes2: for? If I knew, it would be because I was part of the ARC, and those on the ARC can't talk about it. Since I'm not on the ARC, I don't know, and I'm free to speculate -- just as you are on all counts (not on the ARC, don't know, and free to speculate).

What's the :rolleyes2: for? If I knew, it would be because I was part of the ARC, and those on the ARC can't talk about it. Since I'm not on the ARC, I don't know, and I'm free to speculate -- just as you are on all counts (not on the ARC, don't know, and free to speculate).

:rolleyes2: is his favorite emoticon.

As part of the pilot's bill of rights legislation, there was supposed to have been a review of the 8500-8. What ever happened to that?

Those in the know, know, that knowing what others don't know, even if you really don't know much, is better than admitting you know nothing. Know what I mean?

I wonder why the FAA proposal prohibits IFR and the bill does not?

Or do you think the FAA changed their mind and decided to approve IFR ops?

Possibly as a point to yield if negotiation is necessary.

Shhh, maybe nobody will notice.

Those in the know, know, that knowing what others don't know, even if you really don't know much, is better than admitting you know nothing. Know what I mean?

Does that apply only to known unknowns, or can you apply the same logic to unknown unknowns?

As part of the pilot's bill of rights legislation, there was supposed to have been a review of the 8500-8. What ever happened to that?

That in itself would solve a lot of problems. Most of the "have you ever ..." questions should be changed to something like "have you in the past 10 years ..."

I once knew someone who was in his 30's when he applied for a medical and had had a seizure when he was 8 months old. It only happened that one time, no one knew why, and it never happened again. But because he was stupid honest enough to mention it to the AME when he went for his medical, he got deferred. I've moved since then so I don't know whether or not he pursued a medical after that. Making the form itself more reflective of the kind of flying most SP/RP/PPs do would be a huge help in avoiding such silliness.

But I still like my idea better: Just require evidence that the airman has had a physical within the past year, with no reporting to FAA required. That solves the problem of pilots not getting treatment for medical problems for fear of losing their medicals. In my opinion, that's a much bigger problem than the difficulty and expense of getting an SI.

Rich

I think just simply having a physical in the last year to substitute for a 3rd class would be great.

I'd gladly have a physical every year if it meant I could "self-certify" for any non-commercial operation.

If I'm not mistaken, many years ago a physical from your family doctor was sufficient for a flight physical. Then the FAA decided that wasn't good an required an AME or everything.

It was before I became a pilot but seems I heard or read that somewhere.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

If I'm not mistaken, many years ago a physical from your family doctor was sufficient for a flight physical.
If that is true, it was definitely at least 50 years ago, but I've never heard of it before, so I kind of doubt that's accurate.

If that is true, it was definitely at least 50 years ago, but I've never heard of it before, so I kind of doubt that's accurate.

Pilot have been required to obtain examinations by specially-authorized physicians since February 28, 1927.

Rich

Perhaps more family doctors had the training. Seems like flight physical physicians are harder to find now.

I have to get a DOT or FAA physical every year. I have found one golden rule, go to a doctor where the entire practice is setup to give the respective physicals. My AME does NOTHING but flight physicals, he is motivated to help you. Same with my DOT physician, he is out of business if he doesn't help people pass. I mentioned this before but strangely the DOT physical is tougher than a FAA physical in some areas. I'm really hoping this passes', no other way to get it done IMO.

Heck, that was before my father was born. And I ain't young.
So you are just a spring chicken !!!
My father was born in 1910, just 10 years after Queen Victoria died and the year King George V came to the throne.
A lot has happened in aviation since then.
Stephen.

Delayed yet an additional two months. Won't be released for the comment period until 5/5/2015 now. See #18 in this document: http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/January 2015 Internet Report.docx

Went here to get the latest update (click on "April 2015 ..." link, or whatever appears as the latest date, for the latest report):

http://www.dot.gov/regulations/report-on-significant-rulemakings

Still stuck at the OST (Office of the Secretary of Transportation.) In the January report the projected date to get it to the OMB (Office of Management and Budget) was 1/26/2015. The April report has moved that to 4/23/2015. I'd hazard a guess that it still hasn't left the OST as of 5/5/2015.

I suspect they're playing a political game of chicken with Congress. To see who can get nothing done the longest.

anybody else tired of these blog posts:
http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/going-direct/medical-reform-finally

There is no news there, very misleading title (typical)
Sorta, but only glimmer of hope we have at this point. I have setup Google alerts for 3rd class reform & pbor2, as well as congress.gov notifications..only thing slightly encouraging is the frequent addition of sponsors to the 4 bills out there now.. Not that it means anything.

Sadly, I'm not too confident in this moving, simply because there isn't enough money behind it.

My father was born before 1927 (1921), and I still consider myself young!

I too am still young, my father was also born in 1921, and he's still flying.... Third class medical reform will be slow, as is everything Washington does. Congressmen only move if you line their pockets.

Is that why Mark Baker keeps sending me the letters to send them money for this?:D
I'll donate when it passes. I already pay for a aopa membership I can't really take advantage of.

There are 4 bills in congress right now with a bunch of sponsors and a bunch of people bitching about reform.. So, whether success is in reach is debatable, I'd say we are closer than ever before, relatively speaking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back