Thinking of getting a new work coat

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I looked at a Carrhart. But wondeered if the group had any other recommendations. I have heard that Carrhart is overpriced junk but I don’t know.
upload_2022-11-18_14-38-55.jpeg
I am surprised there is not a dedicated cell phone pocket. I have also looked at Duluth Trading Co. $60 more and I can’t try it on.

Last edited:
Either will be a good choice. I have some Duluth work parts, Carhartt insulated bib, and a Carhartt heavy coat. All work well when I'm out in the elements. Check out the Wolverine brand as well, which is generally fair quality at a much lower cost than Duluth or Carhartt.

Hard to beat a Carhartt. I still have a couple coats (cold weather and not-so-cold weather) and insulated bibs hanging in my closet from when I was working in agriculture ~15 years ago. I look forward to the days I get to break them out for heavier outdoor around the house jobs to remind me about when I really had to 'work'. Even with welding burns in the sleeves and hydraulic fluid stains, they're the most durable coats I have ever owned. In fact, I still have my dad's old Carhartt jacket (similar style as in the pic) from when he was farming ~30 years ago - also includes welding burns in the sleeves (maybe that's where I learned it) and cotton picker spindle fluid stains.

Last edited:
I have a set of Carhartt artic insulated bibs and a Carhartt parka that they don't offer anymore. Both over 20 years old. I really hate that they don't offer that model parka anymore.

Both were worn in temps down to the -50s in Alaska, with layers. (yes, it was actually cold enough for me...thanks fer askin'...)

My newest Carhartt work jacket is 7 years old, so I can't say if the new stuff has the same quality.

I hate my carhartt. Way too stiff. Had it 10 years and still can't break the thing in.

My Carhartt barn jacket is great. Have a couple pairs of the Duluth firehose pants which I really like. Can’t go wrong with either. (Plus, I believe Duluth makes most of their stuff in the US and Carhartt makes some of theirs here)

Have to go with the carhartt people have had several and always liked them,

I have two carhartt jackets, a light tan barn coat that is my usual going out coat, another dark brown one with a hood for working around dirty stuff. I like both.

this has inspired me....I might go hunting for another Carhartt myself!

I have an old US Navy A2 deck jacket (not the flight version) that my dad got while in the Coast Guard. It was my hunting and work coat when I was a teenager and young adult. Later I wore it working in the Paper Mill and pretty much any other work I did for a long time and it held up well. I did a fairly good job of keeping it clean for a work coat but it did carry a few oil stains. Last year during a cold snap, I broke it out of retirement and dug it from the back of my closet. Wonderful coat, but sadly the zipper is shot, the knit cuffs are shot, the thread in many of the seams is weak and falling out..... I thought about trying to repair it all but I simply don't have the time...although those coats seem to carry a premium on the collectible market for what they are so there's a chance it seems that it might be worth it. Still, Carhartt might make for an ok replacement.

I have a set of insulated Carhartt coveralls and a short jacket I bought many years ago in a western store. It's kindof a styled sort of thing that sadly doesn't fit very well....but those are some very good coats...Block the wind and are very durable

this has inspired me....I might go hunting for another Carhartt myself!

I have an old US Navy A2 deck jacket (not the flight version) that my dad got while in the Coast Guard. It was my hunting and work coat when I was a teenager and young adult. Later I wore it working in the Paper Mill and pretty much any other work I did for a long time and it held up well. I did a fairly good job of keeping it clean for a work coat but it did carry a few oil stains. Last year during a cold snap, I broke it out of retirement and dug it from the back of my closet. Wonderful coat, but sadly the zipper is shot, the knit cuffs are shot, the thread in many of the seams is weak and falling out..... I thought about trying to repair it all but I simply don't have the time...although those coats seem to carry a premium on the collectible market for what they are so there's a chance it seems that it might be worth it. Still, Carhartt might make for an ok replacement.

I have a set of insulated Carhartt coveralls and a short jacket I bought many years ago in a western store. It's kindof a styled sort of thing that sadly doesn't fit very well....but those are some very good coats...Block the wind and are very durable
My Carhartt insulated bib definitely cuts the wind and keeps you warm. Unless it's in the teens outside, it's TOO warm, lol. I pretty much wear them for messing around in the snow or when I'm going to be out in single digit temps for a bit (shoveling snow/etc.).

I was in trucking for a long time where Carhart and knockoffs are widely used. I always heard the complaint against Carhart was "they were good until recently when the yuppies started buying them to look like they do something besides type all day."

I was in trucking for a long time where Carhart and knockoffs are widely used. I always heard the complaint against Carhart was "they were good until recently when the yuppies started buying them to look like they do something besides type all day."
Lol, well I sort of fit that description since my day job doesn't normally require durable outerwear. However, I had the Carhartt coat on this morning while burning brush piles and leaves. Had to shed it by noon as the temps were in the upper-40F range and I was sweating while just walking across the yard, lol.

Hard to beat Carhartt for quality and customer service. To me they are the standard against which the others are judged. Plus for the past couple of years they have been offering 25% off to military, medical, and first responders.

My Carhartt barn jacket is great. Have a couple pairs of the Duluth firehose pants which I really like. Can’t go wrong with either. (Plus, I believe Duluth makes most of their stuff in the US and Carhartt makes some of theirs here)

My wife and I wear lots of Duluth clothes and outerwear. We purchase from them several times a year. It is good stuff. Almost all of what we have from them, even their premium Alaska Hardgear line, though, is made in China. They must keep on top of quality, so you get good stuff, but very little of it is made in the US.

Hard to beat Carhartt for quality and customer service. To me they are the standard against which the others are judged. Plus for the past couple of years they have been offering 25% off to military, medical, and first responders.

My wife and I wear lots of Duluth clothes and outerwear. We purchase from them several times a year. It is good stuff. Almost all of what we have from them, even their premium Alaska Hardgear line, though, is made in China. They must keep on top of quality, so you get good stuff, but very little of it is made in the US.

You got me to wondering so I checked the items I have. Made either in Vietnam or Indonesia. Oh well, at least it’s not China

I'm wearing my Carhartt jacket with carhartt tshirt and cargo shorts in Texas today. 45 degrees, overcast, and I love the fall. Happy today. The wife was bundled up with a knitt hat to boot while we were working on the fence. Carhartt is at least 20 years old and in great used condition.

Carhartts my whole career in bridge and highway construction. I have new bibs from work about three months prior to retirement, two jackets, one with a hood, and one without.

Maybe something with a little style is what you are looking fer....

il_794xN.4226759165_al1k.jpg

I've owned both Carhartt and Dickies for work coats and honestly think both are great. My Dickies is finally wearing out right now after wearing it for about 24 years ... My Carhartt is much younger at about 10 years and going strong. Of course they have different "missions" so its not a fair apples to apples thing. But both have been excellent quality and worth every dollar I spent on them. I will be replacing them with the same thing when the times comes for each which is really soon for the Dickies coat. Hope that helps.

Back