Thinking of buying a C150 for time building

razorseal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
razorseal
Hey gents,

New member here...

I am a private/ifr pilot that got my ratings back in 07-08.... I left aviation and got into law enforcement and military instead of following my flying dreams back then...

Fast forward to 2023, I got the itch and with everything going on in law enforcement, and what's happening in the aviation field, I want to get back into flying.

I found a very good gig flying charter jets, but they want 1000 before they will hire me. I am currently at just shy of 400 hours. I haven't flown in over a decade, so I "lost the touch". I started getting some training again and hoping to get the feeling back soon.

I want to then build some time. I've been looking at some time building programs, but they want you to fly 6-8 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. I can't do that. I have a full time job and can't quit it (or take that much time off as I'm in admin portion and they can't have me leave that long) to get the time that fast. Plus it isn't the least expensive thing (around 90 bucks an hour in a C150, so if I share, around $45, hoping I can find someone to fly 600 hours with me).

That being said, I wasn't considering buying a plane until now. I have about $30,000 available to use to purchase a plane. The rest I will put aside for fuel and maintenance. I found a local airport tie down for $135 a month.

I feel like if I buy a plane, fly 600 hours (and find some people willing to fly and pay my gas as I provide the plane as much as I can) and resell and knock on wood, no major issues, I might be way better off getting my hours then putting it away into a time building program with speed I really can't match.

Can someone help me out with this thought process?

I got my PPL in a 152, so I'm familiar with the small planes. I looked at some 152s, and I'm shocked how much they cost. so I started looking at some 150s... still a familiar plane to me. albeit I gotta find small copilots to fly with me LOL.

Thank you and I appreciate the input.

I know owning a plane isn't like owning a car or a boat. It's a hefty cost and there are some hidden fees I'm not familiar with. I plan to own it for about 6-8 months and resell it. I see a lot of people do this on the airplane sale websites.

That being said, I mentioned the idea to my wife and she loved it. she talked about getting a 4 seater instead with a loan so the whole family can fly. I told her to put on the breaks and this is for time building... but who knows? maybe if I grasp the concept, it's not unreasonable for me to buy a 172 next year and whole family has a plane to enjoy.

Slightly off topic, but times have also certainly changed. When I got my IFR, I learned NDB approaches, DME arcs, VORs... most of those approaches have been replaced with GPS approaches. I think I got 2-3 GPS apporoaches back in 09 while working on multi but that's it. Charts seem to be a thing of the past and foreflight now rules the world. When I asked the instructor last week if I should have my charts up front with me, he says no you're good. we have 2 tablets up front we'll be fine. lol... Not only do I have to relearn to fly, I gotta learn all the new stuff now!

I own a 150 doesn’t go anywhere fast,so a good time building aircraft. prices are up on 150/152s. After purchase economical to operate. Prices on four seat airplanes are increasing ,fuel burn alone on four seaters are about twice the 150.

I own a 150 doesn’t go anywhere fast,so a good time building aircraft. prices are up on 150/152s. After purchase economical to operate. Prices on four seat airplanes are increasing ,fuel burn alone on four seaters are about twice the 150.

Yeah, I told the wife 172 (or another 4 seater) won't really work for what we're trying to do.

I really think it'll fit me better for what I'm trying to do. I'm not 20 years old with no job and can go fly 8 hours a day for 75 days straight to build 600 hours.

I'd love to, but I can't do that.

if I remember, the fuel burn on the C152 was 6gph, and the C172 I got my IFR in was 8gph, but I am not certain.

Where else can I look? I looked at barnstormers and trade a plane. Any other ones to look at?

I am concentraing on planes with 1000ish (or less) SMOH or some BOH/TOH times. I dont want something that is over or very close to 1800 because I think it will be hard to sell after that or, I might have be in a less favorable position to have a repair free plane.

What is your timeframe on building hours? When I purchased my plane, I underestimated the impact of maintenance on time-frames. At one point my plane was parked for 6 months waiting for parts (this was a COVID thing). You probably won't see that, but a month here and a month there adds up.

If time is the biggest concern, I would look into financing a plane to have some cash on the side for repairs and rentals if it goes out of service.

The fastest way to build time is to rent from a club with multiple similar planes so when one goes into the shop, the next is waiting.

If I am looking to build 600 hours in a year with $30k, I would use the cash first to join a club, get proficient and obtain a CFI. Then fly BFRs, insurance checkouts and the occasional student, while renting every chance I get. The $30k+income from instruction+instruction time could cover the cost of the 600 hours.

Plus, (I am told) that instruction given is seen as valuable time in environments that lean heavily on CRM, so if hiring gets tight again it may give you a leg up.

If a club is not an option, I would look into buying either an older no-electric plane like an ercoupe or Champ (the less there is the less there is to break) or a newer LSA (after 60 yrs any plane runs the risk of problems).

Last edited:
I am concentraing on planes with 1000ish (or less) SMOH or some BOH/TOH times. I dont want something that is over or very close to 1800 because I think it will be hard to sell after that or, I might have be in a less favorable position to have a repair free plane.
The 150s O-200 often needs valve work around mid-time, like 800 or 1000 hours. The 152's Lyc usually doesn't.

150s are all old airplanes, and in those years a lot of defects can accumulate. The owner keeps deferring them, and eventually he can't afford the thing anymore and he sells it and the new owner is shocked at what his mechanic finds. It can get expensive. All airplanes have their weak spots, and the 150 is no different. You'd need a thorough prebuy inspection, and that takes time and costs money.

$30K is likely not enough to buy a 150 and get the deferred/defective stuff fixed. The mags might not have been off for inspection since overhaul, nor the alternator for its field brushes check, and the vacuum pump is also likely at least that old. All of these things need 500-hour inspections to stay reliable. The vacuum pump, if it has a vane wear inspection provision, needs a look at about 500 hours, then every 100 hours after that. Some pump manufacturers don't provide that. Rapco and Tempest do. You will want all this stuff in good shape, as you will need IFR and night hours if you want that job. Running this stuff to failure is just stupid.

If a club is not an option, I would look into buying either an older no-electric plane like an etcoupe or Champ (the less there is the less there is to break) or a newer LSA (after 60 yrs any plane runs the risk of problems).
Employers look at those hours as pretty raw. No IFR, maybe even no night stuff. They want well-rounded applicants. A 150 barely provides that. Barely.

I had students that bought their airplanes to "save money." They found out, the hard way, why we had to charge what we did for the flight school airplanes.

What is your timeframe on building hours? When I purchased my plane, I underestimated the impact of maintenance on time-frames. At one point my plane was parked for 6 months waiting for parts (this was a COVID thing). You probably won't see that, but a month here and a month there adds up.

If time is the biggest concern, I would look into financing a plane to have some cash on the side for repairs and rentals if it goes out of service.

The fastest way to build time is to rent from a club with multiple similar planes so when one goes into the shop, the next is waiting.

If I am looking to build 600 hours in a year with $30k, I would use the cash first to join a club, get proficient and obtain a CFI. Then fly BFRs, insurance checkouts and the occasional student, while renting every chance I get. The $30k+income from instruction+instruction time could cover the cost of the 600 hours.

Plus, (I am told) that instruction given is seen as valuable time in environments that lean heavily on CRM, so if hiring gets tight again it may give you a leg up.

If a club is not an option, I would look into buying either an older no-electric plane like an etcoupe or Champ (the less there is the less there is to break) or a newer LSA (after 60 yrs any plane runs the risk of problems).
I want to get there within the year.

I looked at some clubs around me. The one club I found (palm beach flight club) their rates are pretty much as same as any other rental places. I sent them an email and actually didn't back. not very professional lol.

The other club (out of pompano) had OK rates for dry rent. they have a 8 month waiting list though, so that was a nogo.

I did look at ercoupe and some LSAs, but I'm not too familiar with them so I stuck with a plane I'm familiar with.

The 150s O-200 often needs valve work around mid-time, like 800 or 1000 hours. The 152's Lyc usually doesn't.

150s are all old airplanes, and in those years a lot of defects can accumulate. The owner keeps deferring them, and eventually he can't afford the thing anymore and he sells it and the new owner is shocked at what his mechanic finds. It can get expensive. All airplanes have their weak spots, and the 150 is no different. You'd need a thorough prebuy inspection, and that takes time and costs money.

$30K is likely not enough to buy a 150 and get the deferred/defective stuff fixed. The mags might not have been off for inspection since overhaul, nor the alternator for its field brushes check, and the vacuum pump is also likely at least that old. All of these things need 500-hour inspections to stay reliable. The vacuum pump, if it has a vane wear inspection provision, needs a look at about 500 hours, then every 100 hours after that. Some pump manufacturers don't provide that. Rapco and Tempest do. You will want all this stuff in good shape, as you will need IFR and night hours if you want that job. Running this stuff to failure is just stupid.
Employers look at those hours as pretty raw. No IFR, maybe even no night stuff. They want well-rounded applicants. A 150 barely provides that. Barely.

I had students that bought their airplanes to "save money." They found out, the hard way, why we had to charge what we did for the flight school airplanes.

The company I am looking to go with, I spoke with the check airman. He said all they want is 1000TT, I mentioned about what kind of time/airframe? He said just bring on 1000TT. He is also a CFII and said he will fly with me free of charge with whatever I get and train me to get the CSEL. He told me he will train me with all the IFR stuff as well.

Hes actually the reason I a looking to do this. I was going to get CSEL and get CFI or something similar to build horus. He just wants me to get to 1000 TT and a plane he can train me in.

Why not get your commercial and CFI and get paid to fly?
I always thought this was the normal approach... as opposed to boring holes in the sky and not really gaining airmanship. Students try to kill you so that airmanship should in theory improve.

Why not get your commercial and CFI and get paid to fly?

I am the training coordinator for my agency. I train day and night. I don't want to teach anymore, and don't want to get CFI. I'd rather go to a 135 in south florida (many will hire with 250-500TT) and build hours that way.

Thing is, I don't want to quit my job just yet. I get paid well, so I don't want to go from this job to flying banners to get those hours full time.

I always thought this was the normal approach... as opposed to boring holes in the sky and not really gaining airmanship. Students try to kill you so that airmanship should in theory improve.

To each their own. There are 1000 ways to skin a cat. I don't want to teach. I have been teaching rookie cops for 5-6 years. lol

The company I am looking to go with, I spoke with the check airman. He said all they want is 1000TT, I mentioned about what kind of time/airframe? He said just bring on 1000TT. He is also a CFII and said he will fly with me free of charge with whatever I get and train me to get the CSEL. He told me he will train me with all the IFR stuff as well.

Hes actually the reason I a looking to do this. I was going to get CSEL and get CFI or something similar to build horus. He just wants me to get to 1000 TT and a plane he can train me in.
This sounds like one of those "if it sounds too good" type things...what cfi trains a student for commercial for free? Especially a student that hasn't really flown in 15 years. If true, what's his number?

This sounds like one of those "if it sounds too good" type things...what cfi trains a student for commercial for free? Especially a student that hasn't really flown in 15 years. If true, what's his number?

I am not handing out his number, not sharing this one LOL

Over my years in life I have networked and have made friends. we'll call this person a friend who is willing to help me get where I need.

Whether I buy block of hours, or buy my own plane, all he asked was get your flight review done and I will help you get your commercial and get you current on IFR and will get you hired at 1000TT.

I guess this is why I'm trying to get to 1000TT with having 400... I have a very good opportunity here I don't want to miss.

so if getting a plane isn't plausible, I'm looking at other ways I can get to 1000. I would def do block hours purchase and share with someone, but I didn't know there is a 40-50 hour flight time required per week for it. I just can't do that with my work schedule. and I can't leave my full time job making good money to fly banners full time and make 1/4 of what I make for a year.

gents, I'm not here to blow smoke up anyone's butt. I am honestly just looking for suggestions and thoughts for getting 600 hours of flight time.

I've done plenty of key west trips back in the day and those were some of the greatest 4 hour flights I made. I was confident in the air, and CFIing isn't for me. I have no problem doing bunch of xc flights around florida to build time and have some expensive burgers.

I thought a plane purchase to build hours might work because I can re-sell the plane and I'm on my own schedule to build it how I please. I am not interested in doing low hour Commercial jobs, and will keep my full time law enforcement job until I get to 1000 hours and go from there.

I am the training coordinator for my agency. I train day and night. I don't want to teach anymore, and don't want to get CFI. I'd rather go to a 135 in south florida (many will hire with 250-500TT) and build hours that way.

Thing is, I don't want to quit my job just yet. I get paid well, so I don't want to go from this job to flying banners to get those hours full time.

Fair enough; be careful, lots of 134.5 opportunities disguised as 135 there.

Fair enough; be careful, lots of 134.5 opportunities disguised as 135 there.

I just need to get my hours and restart me CSEL after 14 years and finish my multi which I also have some time on. Shame on me that I didn't finish it in 09. I was almost done with it too. I'm paying for that mistake now.

I thought a plane purchase to build hours might work because I can re-sell the plane and I'm on my own schedule to build it how I please.

Sounds great, doesn't it? If you could buy the plane, simply jump in and fly for the hours you need, then sell, this would work well.

Unfortunately, airplane ownership, especially for older planes, doesn't work quite this way. I tell people I'm not really an owner of my Beech; it's more like being a curator. You will have to put in some amount of time repairing and maintaining the plane for every hour you fly it, and it might be significant. In my first year after buying my plane, I think I put in at least two or three maintenance hours for every flight hour, and that plane was solid and airworthy when I bought it, not a ramp rat by any means. And the time I was down while waiting for parts drove me nuts.

Also consider that much of that maintenance will need to be performed, or at least supervised if you do your own wrenching, by an A&P, so you'll be limited by his schedule. There will be plenty of times when you're grounded for a week or two (or more) waiting for your A&P to have an open slot. Or to come back from Oshkosh.

Then when he troubleshoots your problem, he'll find you need to replace the semispherical wavicated screw that attaches the demifrazit to the firewall, but that particular screw isn't in the Spruce catalog, and it hasn't been made for 40 years, so you're searching the internet and calling salvage shops and it takes you three weeks to locate an old semispherical wavicated screw from a crashed 150 and the seller wants $300 for it. So you get the part, and then learn that to install it without damage you'll need a semispherical wavicated screwdriver. You can borrow one from the type club, but you'll have to wait for the two guys ahead of you to finish with it.

After eight weeks on the ground, you're finally in the air again.

And then the vacuum pump fails....

Think I'm kidding? Ha! Just wait.

Try it if you want. It sure sounds good. But I have a hunch it won't work out quite the way you're planning.

Sounds great, doesn't it? If you could buy the plane, simply jump in and fly for the hours you need, then sell, this would work well.

Unfortunately, airplane ownership, especially for older planes, doesn't work quite this way. I tell people I'm not really an owner of my Beech; it's more like being a curator. You will have to put in some amount of time repairing and maintaining the plane for every hour you fly it, and it might be significant. In my first year after buying my plane, I think I put in at least two or three maintenance hours for every flight hour, and that plane was solid and airworthy when I bought it, not a ramp rat by any means. And the time I was down while waiting for parts drove me nuts.

Also consider that much of that maintenance will need to be performed, or at least supervised if you do your own wrenching, by an A&P, so you'll be limited by his schedule. There will be plenty of times when you're grounded for a week or two (or more) waiting for your A&P to have an open slot. Or to come back from Oshkosh.

Then when he troubleshoots your problem, he'll find you need to replace the semispherical wavicated screw that attaches the demifrazit to the firewall, but that particular screw isn't in the Spruce catalog, and it hasn't been made for 40 years, so you're searching the internet and calling salvage shops and it takes you three weeks to locate an old semispherical wavicated screw from a crashed 150 and the seller wants $300 for it. So you get the part, and then learn that to install it without damage you'll need a semispherical wavicated screwdriver. You can borrow one from the type club, but you'll have to wait for the two guys ahead of you to finish with it.

After eight weeks on the ground, you're finally in the air again.

And then the vacuum pump fails....

Think I'm kidding? Ha! Just wait.

Try it if you want. It sure sounds good. But I have a hunch it won't work out quite the way you're planning.

I know brother. Nothing ever goes to plan. I guess that's why I came here to ask. I doubt buying a 50 year old plane that has flown thousands of hours is going to be trouble free for 600 hours of flying. I guess that's why I was trying to keep it at around 30,000 and put aside 10,000 for repairs, or unforeseen issues.

If I rent and buy "block hours" from a rental place, I'm pretty much looking at 36K-40K dry. Comes out to same thing... except I have to fly 600 hours in like 2.5 months. I want to enjoy flying xc and stuff. I don't want to fly 6-8 hours a day everyday without a break. Maybe if I was as single kid in my 20s... I'm not that anymore.

I assume it's like owning a boat, except worse. lol

I see some people here who love it, and some who hate it (owning)

You might be interested in this youtube series about using an Ercoupe for time building Rising Sun

You are lucky that there's some outfit that will hire you to fly jets at 1000 TT. That's unusual, with or without commercial, since they usually want some multi and some turbine time. Plus super fluidity and familiarity being in the system IFR.

That said, a 150 isn't a bad hour builder. TSMO doesn't mean all that much, I'd look more at oil consumption and general state of cleanliness - do the pushrod tubes look, are the seals still supple, etc. Good baffling too, since they can run hot otherwise. 1000 hours over 20 years is just a crap shot.

With 30k budget, there isn't going to be an easy find - the two seaters are in much more demand for time building and prices have risen accordingly. If you find one for 30k, which seems to be the absolute bottom of the 150 market, you may be short on maintenance dollars. A top overhaul is about 10k for example. A mag R&R and can be 1k, etc. And everything else is in between. There is no non-owner performed maintenance < 1 AU (1k) to a first order.

So while the choice of airplane isn't bad, would suggest closer to 40k budget would give more options. Now if there's a sweetheart deal on a one-owner 150/152 at the farm next door, never mind!

An in-annual flying Ercoupe is an 85hp airplane of which real flying examples can be had for < 25k. If the goal is to fly slowly while building time, they can be a good choice. Very simple. Some have rudder pedals and some don't. You'd need someone familiar with the breed to look a candidate over, but that's about it.

GPS is much easier than VOR/DME/NDB, but you have to learn to program the box. There are laptop sims to get you started for the Garmin stuff anyhow (and there isn't any other - Garmin today == King in the past).

Good luck and report your eventual success back (for you seem driven and decided).

I know brother. Nothing ever goes to plan.

It's really not just the money. It's the time. You said in the OP that you wanted to build your hours in 6-8 months then sell. Understand that some piddly little problem could easily ground you for a month or two while you wait for a part or a mechanic. Then it can happen again. Before you know it, your planned 8 months has become 18.....

I assume it's like owning a boat, except worse. lol

Much worse. Most things that can break on a boat probably won't kill you. And there's not a federal agency requiring you to only use specially blessed parts and an anointed mechanic.

I see some people here who love it, and some who hate it (owning)

I'm in the love it camp. But I'm retired, not faced with any sort of schedule, don't have kids at home, don't have to worry about paying a mortgage or a car loan, and I enjoy doing this as a hobby, both flying and wrenching.

Totally different situation than yours.

You are lucky that there's some outfit that will hire you to fly jets at 1000 TT. That's unusual, with or without commercial, since they usually want some multi and some turbine time. Plus super fluidity and familiarity being in the system IFR.

That said, a 150 isn't a bad hour builder. TSMO doesn't mean all that much, I'd look more at oil consumption and general state of cleanliness - do the pushrod tubes look, are the seals still supple, etc. Good baffling too, since they can run hot otherwise. 1000 hours over 20 years is just a crap shot.

With 30k budget, there isn't going to be an easy find - the two seaters are in much more demand for time building and prices have risen accordingly. If you find one for 30k, which seems to be the absolute bottom of the 150 market, you may be short on maintenance dollars. A top overhaul is about 10k for example. A mag R&R and can be 1k, etc. And everything else is in between. There is no non-owner performed maintenance < 1 AU (1k) to a first order.

So while the choice of airplane isn't bad, would suggest closer to 40k budget would give more options. Now if there's a sweetheart deal on a one-owner 150/152 at the farm next door, never mind!

An in-annual flying Ercoupe is an 85hp airplane of which real flying examples can be had for < 25k. If the goal is to fly slowly while building time, they can be a good choice. Very simple. Some have rudder pedals and some don't. You'd need someone familiar with the breed to look a candidate over, but that's about it.

GPS is much easier than VOR/DME/NDB, but you have to learn to program the box. There are laptop sims to get you started for the Garmin stuff anyhow (and there isn't any other - Garmin today == King in the past).

Good luck and report your eventual success back (for you seem driven and decided).

Yep, my initial plan was to finish commercial, then go to Tropic Ocean Airways (they hire at 250TT for FO) and make next to nothing and survice off part time instructing at the police academy and my 40K to build hours and get some turbine time, until I met this fellow overheard me talking about flying. we became friends and he's willing to get me get there. I specially asked if 1000TT means '1000TT', and he said yep. don't care what it's in, get to 1000TT and i'll get you the job as a Hawker jet FO. I told him i am currently getting some dual time to get back to current, but IFR will be a challenge. he told me he's a cfii (and a check airman at their company for the hawker jets) and told me as long as my flight review is done, and I got a IFR plane, he will go up with me at no cost and re-teach me IFR and not to worry. I'm going there next week to meet the charter company, shake some hands, kiss some babies and check out their jets. of course you never know what happens and I get to 1000TT and it doesn't happen, but I feel confident. and if that happens I'm sure at that point with 1000TT I can get in somewhere else doing something else to build ME time.

As far as cost of a plane... was thinking getting a loan (dont know much about airplane loans besides what i looked at AOPA today) and getting something nicer/better for maybe close to 50 and just financing 50% of it and the rest upfront. again, 1000 ways to skin this cat. Most of the 150s I looked at that I considered were 39 to 41K based on what I see and their times etc.

I don't know much about ercoupes. I do remember froma long time ago, they don't have rudders pedals. I can't remember. I am def not familiar with it and would need some expertise help.

I have done some upkeeping on flight simulator (I have a pretty decent sim rig) so I'm sure GPS will be easier.

I am confident I will find a solution. I am just looking for that solution right now.

Friend who wants to build the hours with me told me to look at some grummans too.

I found a 1961 cherokee 150 that was about 50K that interested me. again. All i'm doing is looking right now. Read up on cost for pre-buy inspections, how that's done etc.

It's really not just the money. It's the time. You said in the OP that you wanted to build your hours in 6-8 months then sell. Understand that some piddly little problem could easily ground you for a month or two while you wait for a part or a mechanic. Then it can happen again. Before you know it, your planned 8 months has become 18.....

Much worse. Most things that can break on a boat probably won't kill you. And there's not a federal agency requiring you to only use specially blessed parts and an anointed mechanic.

I'm in the love it camp. But I'm retired, not faced with any sort of schedule, don't have kids at home, don't have to worry about paying a mortgage or a car loan, and I enjoy doing this as a hobby, both flying and wrenching.

Totally different situation than yours.

I get it. 6 to 8 months was a guess. I told my family I will get the 600 hours by end of year. There will be weather, maintenance that comes up I'm sure. again... if I have my own plane, I'm not in a rush. I can fly whenever I want. the airport is 15 minutes away that it would be tied down at.if I can't get 600 hours in a year, then maybe in 2 years. This method, I will continue to work and just fly when I can. my plane, my time, my schedule. all these "buy block of hours" places want you to devote your time to flying 7 days a week. I can't do that.

I don't know much about ercoupes. I do remember froma long time ago, they don't have rudders pedals. I can't remember. I am def not familiar with it and would need some expertise help.
It's true that the original Ercoupes did not have rudder pedals. That could be an issue if your we getting your initial private certificate, but since you already have that it wouldn't be an issue. There are some Ercoupes that have been modified with rudder pedals (reviews are mixed on if that's good or not) and the Alon Aircoupes came standard with pedals, the "coordinated control" without being an option. Perhaps a bigger challenge would be getting one instrumented for IFR if that's your plan, but the C-150 would face the same issues. One plus of the 'coupes is the ability to cruise around with an open cockpit on warmer days but like the C-150s you won't be going anywhere fast (but an hour is an hour, you're not logging distance).

Two additional thoughts:

1) If IFR is in the mix, then the 150 budget probably needs to be closer to 50-60k. Former for a couple of Nav/coms, latter with a WAAS GPS (what you want and need)

2) You could be the greatest guy in the world, but I'd be surprised if your own brother or sister, similarly motivated, would fly 600 hours over a short period with you! I budget maybe 100 of those hours with someone, the rest on your own. And without one of you with a CFI, only one person can log as PIC, so not gaining anything. There are CFIs that need the time, so it's doable, I just can't imagine doing it, since sounds like you've already had a nice career in law enforcement, which means your are going to be much older than any CFI trying too get to 1200 hours. Compatibility warning...

It's true that the original Ercoupes did not have rudder pedals. That could be an issue if your we getting your initial private certificate, but since you already have that it wouldn't be an issue. There are some Ercoupes that have been modified with rudder pedals (reviews are mixed on if that's good or not) and the Alon Aircoupes came standard with pedals, the "coordinated control" without being an option. Perhaps a bigger challenge would be getting one instrumented for IFR if that's your plan, but the C-150 would face the same issues. One plus of the 'coupes is the ability to cruise around with an open cockpit on warmer days but like the C-150s you won't be going anywhere fast (but an hour is an hour, you're not logging distance).

For the IFR stuff, I will rent a C172, or even a glass cockpit to get current with. At least that's my idea... unless I go up on $$$ and get a IFR 150 (or osmething else)

I was planning on just renting a C172 for that though. I feel 10 hours in the air will get me going pretty good with IFR stuff, considering I can practice home on flight simulator. Considered even buying a G1000 simulator panel setup for about $2500 to get acquinted with glass cockpits and IFR procedures on them.

Im sure I'll do some nice XCing (slow or fast). It has been over a decade for me, and alot has happened in life and I forgot alot of my memories flying... except my xc rides. I remember going up to 10,500 in a 152 on my 1st solo xc... I remember flying over the blue ocean going to key west many times. I remember flying back at night from EYW with insturments only because even though the skies were clear, it was pitch black. most of my memories that stayed with me were xc trips I made trying to build hours between 09 and 14. by then I had decided I wanted to stick with law enforcment, and flying (and renting) was draining my bank account FAST and we had our 1st born so I ended up giving it up...

so thinking about all this and owning my own little plane and being able to go whenever I want at my own leisure and not on some flight school's "block hours" gets me really excited. I can't lie about that.

some might think I'll be burning holes in the sky, but I will make those 600 hours memorable. I'm just primarily scared on getting a bad plane....

If you can afford a sim, it's not a bad idea. 10 hours will probably mostly knock the bug chunks of rust off, and have you refining your scan and comfort level in the clouds.

The Ercoupe will be harder to resell I suspect. Non-rudder ones may be a little easier as some can be LSA, so that opens the market a bit.

Any way you slice it, 600 additional hours in a 150 class airplane is going to take you at least two years to knock out. Maybe more, depends how much time and patience you have!

Two additional thoughts:

1) If IFR is in the mix, then the 150 budget probably needs to be closer to 50-60k. Former for a couple of Nav/coms, latter with a WAAS GPS (what you want and need)

2) You could be the greatest guy in the world, but I'd be surprised if your own brother or sister, similarly motivated, would fly 600 hours over a short period with you! I budget maybe 100 of those hours with someone, the rest on your own. And without one of you with a CFI, only one person can log as PIC, so not gaining anything. There are CFIs that need the time, so it's doable, I just can't imagine doing it, since sounds like you've already had a nice career in law enforcement, which means your are going to be much older than any CFI trying too get to 1200 hours. Compatibility warning...
1 - I will do the IFR stuff in a rented 172 probably. I would love to get a IFR plane, and now I'm thinking I might up my budget, get a loan for 50% of the plane and just pay it. I'm in a position that I can do that.

2 - You're right. and that's the other part if I get my own plane. I will be able to fly solo... these flight schools that you "share" time with log it as I think "safety pilot". I don't know how it works, but if there is no partner. you aren't going flyinh or paying it all on your own. The CFII friends (2 of them) who want to fly with me, I get along fine with. the kid who's doing my training right now to get me back to current.. yeah... I get what you mean. lol

If you can afford a sim, it's not a bad idea. 10 hours will probably mostly knock the bug chunks of rust off, and have you refining your scan and comfort level in the clouds.

The Ercoupe will be harder to resell I suspect. Non-rudder ones may be a little easier as some can be LSA, so that opens the market a bit.

Any way you slice it, 600 additional hours in a 150 class airplane is going to take you at least two years to knock out. Maybe more, depends how much time and patience you have!

we go off the hobbs right? can I just idle around the airport and taxi for 600 hours? would that count?

joking aside, that's kind of why I wanted my own plane. I realized last night before bed I can do it on my own schedule. I'm not bound to anything. I can fly as much or as little as I want. I can take a week off work and do a nice long xc flight to another state. or it can sit there for a month because I'm busy at work and can't fly that month. the pace is upto me.

flight schools have time limits and need a partner to fly with.

we go off the hobbs right? can I just idle around the airport and taxi for 600 hours? would that count?

joking aside, that's kind of why I wanted my own plane. I realized last night before bed I can do it on my own schedule. I'm not bound to anything. I can fly as much or as little as I want. I can take a week off work and do a nice long xc flight to another state. or it can sit there for a month because I'm busy at work and can't fly that month. the pace is upto me.

flight schools have time limits and need a partner to fly with.
Doing any flying/ratings in your own plane is infinitely superior if you can afford it. Thanks for clarifying the buddy system at the hour mill - not for me for sure!

Flying 1000 hours doing circles in a Cessna 150 doesn't amount to much experience. If the employer is really that desperate, they can hire you at 250 hrs. Why ask you to fly in circles for 1000 hrs? I would be very skeptical of this opportunity.

I'm not bound to anything. I can fly as much or as little as I want. I can take a week off work and do a nice long xc flight to another state. or it can sit there for a month because I'm busy at work and can't fly that month. the pace is upto me.

If you're good with a more casual approach, and since you mentioned financing a more expensive plane, you might want to re-think your wife's idea of getting a family hauler. When you're solo and time building, you can always throttle back, fly slowly and burn less fuel.

Flying 1000 hours doing circles in a Cessna 150 doesn't amount to much experience. If the employer is really that desperate, they can hire you at 250 hrs. Why ask you to fly in circles for 1000 hrs? I would be very skeptical of this opportunity.
Insurance perhaps.

You can be skeptical about it. I'm not here to discuss the opportunity I have. Pilots have been hired as FOs flying corporate jets at 250. I've seen it and you can see for yourself too. I've learned alot of hiring is who you know and networking. I might not have the 1000 hours of a 21 yo cfi, or a 1200 hours of a 22 yo banner tower, but I have different qualities.

I did mostly vfr flying to my 400 hours "flying circles" 10 years ago and traveled most of florida. I got pretty good and extremely comfortable. Too bad it didn't stay with me but I'm very confident it will come back when I get some stick hours.

Adding 600 hours to that I will feel pretty confident in my abilities. 150 or whatever.

Last edited:
If you're good with a more casual approach, and since you mentioned financing a more expensive plane, you might want to re-think your wife's idea of getting a family hauler. When you're solo and time building, you can always throttle back, fly slowly and burn less fuel.

They jump up significantly. 172s from the 50s go for some serious dough.

I did find a '61 Cherokee 150 that looked interesting at 55k. Looks like ifr capable too. That roof trim is def weird.

I got the time to look. I figured I'll get proficient bu years end and get something by jan '24.

I gotta do more research anyways.

Back