Thinking of a career in aviation...

Alex Jochner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ajochner
Hey all, if there is a pinned thread for this, please let me know, but if not..I’m I’m trying to decide between my local technical college in Wisconsin and Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach, FL.

Currently I work in transportation driving tour busses for bands and musicians and I would like to take my ground game to the sky.

Thanks for any and all information that can be provided.

Depends on the time of year,you would probably get more flying days in vero beach,unless it’s summer.

This topic really should be a sticky

But, as I always say to this question, my recommendations.

Do you initial training and hour building in gliders, you'll save money and be a bit of a better pilot for it, also as a greenhorn CPL with all their time in a 172/PA28 is a dime a dozen, this sets you apart when getting those first jobs which can be hard to get.

Good place to find schools
http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

Get into a flying club and try to do your land add on in a small tailwheel plane, find a free lance CFI who has put food on his table as a working pilot before, ideally find a ATP/gold seal CFI, it doesn't mean everything by any means, but it is a good sign that they take pride in instructing, are at least a little good at it, and probably won't be jumping ship for some regional airline midway through your training.

Don't blow money on expensive stuff you don't need off the bat, you won't be getting a job initially in a multi, so don't bother getting your multi unless you've scouted out some job that'll put a 250 hr pilot at the helm of a multi, you can add this on later after you start making a little money as a greenhorn, find the rift employer and prove yourself and they might even help ya out with it.

Same if you decide to go the CFI route, don't go blowing money on a II or MEI, make some money as a CFI and most flight schools will help/hook you up with the add ons.

FSI isn't bad, I go there for every 6mo for recurrent sim training, they offer a product, not a bad place, but for primary training it's not what I'd want.

The biggest handicap of most greenhorns is debt, the guy who managed to get their CPL in bum**** nowhere for 35k is going to be miles ahead of the embry riddle kid who got the same CPL for 120k, those first jobs are going to not pay much, there have been more people I've seen wash out of aviation after getting their CPL than on their way to getting their CPL, those first couple jobs are going to test you, both in the cockpit and on your present and past decisions and budgeting (what's the cost of living by FSI vs a farming town in a "fly over state", and how bad you want to be in the industry.

Depends on the time of year,you would probably get more flying days in vero beach,unless it’s summer.

Did all my initial training in the north west, the more flying days per year is mostly marketing or CFIs who can't work out side of clear blue and 72, learning to fly in somewhere with dynamic weather will also make you a better pilot, heck when people to send their kids to college they look for the best school bang for the buck, not the college with the easiest to pass classes.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their responses, this is great information. I don’t know if it will change anything but I have my GI Bill to use which part of the reason I was looking at Flight Safety Academy.

There was one response that I agree with a lot in that the weather here is very benificial in that it was 80 degrees just 3 days ago and now it’s 30 and raining....either way, great information and thanks!

GI Bill students have to go to Part 141 schools. The difference between Parts 61 and 141 is mostly that 141 is more structured...so many hours allowed for this, so many hours allowed for that, etc, whereas an instructor under part 61 trains to proficiency no matter how many hours it takes. But you do not have a choice.

Bob

There are plenty of good part 141 schools besides Flight Safety. And many which are less expensive.

Be warned, if relying on VA benes for 141; the VA is a stop, stumble, and fall broken bureaucracy; they will eff your paperwork on a regualr and frequent basis, unless you are possessed of phenomenal luck. and that's even if you get great support with it from a place like FSI, or another that deals with VA all the time. They run neck-and-neck with OPM for "most incompetent" Fed agency - heck, they make the bloated and glacial FAA look efficient.

Suggest verifying your medical status before relocating or enrolling. It can be a bit of a bear trap if there’s an issue.

Currently I work in transportation driving tour busses for bands and musicians and I would like to take my ground game to the sky.

Thanks for any and all information that can be provided.

Oh man, love to hear some your stories about band members on the bus!

If you're anyway eligible (National a Guard, CAP, etc) you may be able to join an Aer Club at a military base, most have 141 courses. But membership is quite restricted.

Age, college credits now, $$ available? A ‘career in aviation’ here usually means piloting. There are people who want to make the jump mid-life, you sound a bit younger than that.

Lots of things can be done, motivation and a bit of $$ is key. Any flight experience yet? Wisconsin Aviation is big at a few airports in WI. Whether you went with them or not, they should have an intro flight at reasonable cost. A private pilot ground school is another easy, low cost way to dip your toe in.

Back