Thinking I have a Johnny Cash 172

Southpaw

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernest Taft
My 1959 C172 has been put together one piece at a time , But cost more then a Nickel or Dime.
Been chasing down fuel gauge inop or irregular functioning problem.
I had to replace one tank sending unit early on . The old one was a Stewart Warner and got a McFarland replacement for the year /model of C172.
Today after checking all the wires , resistance values , grounds , etc,etc I pulled the fuel gauge .
Surprise ! It's a Rochester gauge with completely different ohm value. (90) then what the sender is. ( 35 to 245 ) .
So now I have two incompatible fuel system components , Rochester gauges - SW senders .
What now ?
Find old gauges salvage or blow the budget on new style digital senders and gauges ?
Every thing else on this old bird is good.

I lip-sank that song in 6th grade- (1992) - before he was “cool again” from the movie…. No wonder I didn’t lose the V card to college

love that song and the singer- good luck on the bird!

My 1959 C172 has been put together one piece at a time , But cost more then a Nickel or Dime.
I had to replace one tank sending unit early on . The old one was a Stewart Warner and got a McFarland replacement for the year /model of C172.
Today after checking all the wires , resistance values , grounds , etc,etc I pulled the fuel gauge .
Surprise ! It's a Rochester gauge with completely different ohm value. (90) then what the sender is. ( 35 to 245 ) .
So now I have two incompatible fuel system components , Rochester gauges - SW senders .
What now ?
Find old gauges salvage or blow the budget on new style digital senders and gauges ?

If you want the look and feel of the OEM gauges, buy a CiES sender, and run it in analog mode. You can do digital later with the same sender.

Rochester was Cessna's retrofit replacement when SW exited aviation... But gage and sender have to match.

Paul

You’ve got a stick and a wristwatch.

what more could you wish for?
A DPE that feels the same way. ;)

And I did mount a dual kitchen timer on the dash above the fuel gauges.

If you want the look and feel of the OEM gauges, buy a CiES sender, and run it in analog mode. You can do digital later with the same sender.

Rochester was Cessna's retrofit replacement when SW exited aviation... But gage and sender have to match.

Paul

Thank you for that tip. It may be the best way to go.

Here's Johnny Cash in a C172. One of my favorite episodes!

What now ?
Oh my…. Just saw this and opened it.. AS COLUMBO SWAN SONG is on in the background!!!
If you’re not familiar, it’s the Columbo episode with Johnny Cash flying, then jumping from the C172.

Total coincidence!!

Oh my…. Just saw this and opened it.. AS COLUMBO SWAN SONG is on in the background!!!
If you’re not familiar, it’s the Columbo episode with Johnny Cash flying, then jumping from the C172.

Total coincidence!!
Love that one. Columbo flies out to the scene in a Navion (just step on the seat, sir).

Back