Thinking About (ok bought) F-350 with PowerStroke 6.0L - Questions

One thing Ford has always done right is comfortable seats. Several of my Chevys have had Ford seats.

I agree. I find the Ford seats are the most comfortable. My Dodge seats were comfortable, too, although without a doubt the Fords are better.

Any seat needs to have the 6-way power (up/down front, up/down rear, forward/backwards) minimum, plus of course lumbar and reclining. Ford gets this right on their trucks. Unfortunately many new seats have an up/down that is up and forward or down and back, which is infuriating for long-legged folks like me.

I could never get comfortable in the Avalanche, even though it had the top end leather seats in it. It seems Chevys are designed for more average height people, Fords are designed for tall people. No idea what Dodges are designed for.

I agree. I find the Ford seats are the most comfortable. My Dodge seats were comfortable, too, although without a doubt the Fords are better.

Any seat needs to have the 6-way power (up/down front, up/down rear, forward/backwards) minimum, plus of course lumbar and reclining. Ford gets this right on their trucks. Unfortunately many new seats have an up/down that is up and forward or down and back, which is infuriating for long-legged folks like me.

I could never get comfortable in the Avalanche, even though it had the top end leather seats in it. It seems Chevys are designed for more average height people, Fords are designed for tall people. No idea what Dodges are designed for.
Women, and men who dress like women. ;)

916CAB6D-92AF-4901-8348-61CB4233B74D.jpg
Got the rear seats and door panels on. Those were all bolt up. The 2009 rear seat will fold down the backs or fold up the bottoms, much more versatile. Door panels bolt right up and same window connectors.

The front door panels are going to need some wiring changes. They changed the door lock and power mirror connectors, and also the number of pins. So this may take some work...

Looks nice!

Reactions: Ted
Time to get Forscan and start making some mods to the truck. The F150 is so easy to change.

If you want all the juicy details jump over to the f150 forum where all of this is discussed in great detail. Lots of guys buying XLT and Lariat trucks and upgrading the features found on the higher trim levels at a fraction of the cost.

Time to get Forscan and start making some mods to the truck.

I really couldn't name a product or a company Forscan. I would start giggling every time I answered the phone because I'm a twelve year old at heart. LOL. Just sayin.

And if someone with a stereotypical "old NY Jewish guy" called to buy it, I wouldn't even be able to get through the phone call without a mute button.

They tried to call it fordscan, but small problem with ford in the name. this was the next best name.

Great software I must say. Several cool features added to my F150 at minimal cost, thank you ford.

http://forscan.org

They tried to call it fordscan, but small problem with ford in the name. this was the next best name.

Great software I must say. Several cool features added to my F150 at minimal cost, thank you ford.

Forscan and powerstroke really don't work so well...

I mean, I can't say much. In my line of work, the people who make Windows named their company "Small and Limp". But for those of us running Linux servers, we think it's an accurate assessment of their product. :)

Slightly changing subjects... I was inspired by this interior refresh to start pecking around for some parts for my f350. Have a wood grain and leather steering wheel on the way from I think a Lincoln Navigator to replace the currently deteriorating leather one in the truck. Also ordered center caps and a new grill emblem.

She's getting her 325k mile spruce up.

500k might get the dark blue tailgate painted black to match the rest of the truck!

Slightly changing subjects... I was inspired by this interior refresh to start pecking around for some parts for my f350. Have a wood grain and leather steering wheel on the way from I think a Lincoln Navigator to replace the currently deteriorating leather one in the truck. Also ordered center caps and a new grill emblem.

I should look into downgrading Karen's steering wheel... she's in a Lincoln and covered up that nice wheel with a rubber thing that has Mickey Mouse on it... seriously... Mickey Mouse... and matching floor mats.

I just pretend they're not there when I drive it. LOL.

I should look into downgrading Karen's steering wheel... she's in a Lincoln and covered up that nice wheel with a rubber thing that has Mickey Mouse on it... seriously... Mickey Mouse... and matching floor mats.

I just pretend they're not there when I drive it. LOL.

I'll send you my black leather one that needs to be covered... Then you sell the fancy one that was previously covered. Everyone wins.

(To be clear, I win because I'd otherwise stick that steering wheel in my garage telling myself, "never know... Might need it".)

I'll send you my black leather one that needs to be covered... Then you sell the fancy one that was previously covered. Everyone wins.

(To be clear, I win because I'd otherwise stick that steering wheel in my garage telling myself, "never know... Might need it".)

LOL... I'd take you up on it, but telling my wife her choice of steering wheel covers is a reason to remove the nice one hiding UNDER her hideous choice... is probably not a battle I want to start in my house. :)

Really? Might want to check again. Motor doesn't matter. This software does not change the PCM. The BCM, IPC, APIM, and the other modules are fair game. Take a look...

Really? Might want to check again. Motor doesn't matter. This software does not change the PCM. The BCM, IPC, APIM, and the other modules are fair game. Take a look...

7f2.jpg

I’ve done some googling and honestly I’m not sure what cool feature opportunities I’m missing but I haven’t seen anything interesting.

I have a ‘17 F150 3.5 XLT with Sync3 (no nav). What cool things could I do? What features have you enabled on your truck?

I’ve done some googling and honestly I’m not sure what cool feature opportunities I’m missing but I haven’t seen anything interesting.

I have a ‘17 F150 3.5 XLT with Sync3 (no nav). What cool things could I do? What features have you enabled on your truck?

It'll be interesting if there are any.

Usually the reprogramming tools don't seem to have too many "neat-o" things for newer trucks until they reverse engineer for a while.

One of the "near-o" things some of the tools do for my old Cummins is enable the factory high-idle intended for super cold weather ops where they sold the trucks to commercial users.

That one combined with a remote start and leaving the exhaust brake on when you get out, means the chance of actually getting into a warm truck on a cold winter morning without plugging it in. LOL.

I haven't bothered since it's not my daily driver, but many love it. :)

I added hill descent control, adaptive cruise control, active parking assist, key fob control for the power windows, and collision warning to name a few.

Want led headlamps or add nav to your sync system? All options folks have done.

This thread describes it all. Great summary on the first page.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/

Happy upgrading.

I added hill descent control, adaptive cruise control, active parking assist, key fob control for the power windows, and collision warning to name a few.

Want led headlamps or add nav to your sync system? All options folks have done.

This thread describes it all. Great summary on the first page.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/

Happy upgrading.
The two things I don't have that I wish I had:
- power folding mirrors
- adaptive cruise control

Any idea what sort of expense we're talking to add those?

Lol, that's actually a ton of expensive add-ons. It doesn't apply much to my '08 F-150, as it's essentially the Platinum edition Lariat before it existed so it already has every available option, but for those with SYNC-era XLT/Lariat F-series, there's a lot of options available to be turned on.

The two things I don't have that I wish I had:
- power folding mirrors
- adaptive cruise control

Any idea what sort of expense we're talking to add those?

Power fold mirrors -$0
Adaptive cruise - $537. (Factory option is double this.)
Park assist - $100 (factory is 4x this cost)
Hill descent - $44

Power fold mirrors -$0
Adaptive cruise - $537. (Factory option is double this.)
Park assist - $100 (factory is 4x this cost)
Hill descent - $44
How do I add power fold mirrors to mirrors that don't have motors for $0?

I had an employee power fold a mirror. I think it cost about $100. It only worked once though...

Minor update on my minor updates:

New center caps/lug covers arrived today and popped on. Dually, so front rims the center covers are furthest thing out/pretty prominent.

325k mile chrome doesn't look like 0 mile chrome. They're really not even in the same arena. To quote my wife: they need scratches.

Swing and a miss in the "improve the looks department" until they wear in a bit. Steering wheel arrives tomorrow. Being used, hopefully it blends in better.

Minor update on my minor updates:

New center caps/lug covers arrived today and popped on. Dually, so front rims the center covers are furthest thing out/pretty prominent.

325k mile chrome doesn't look like 0 mile chrome. They're really not even in the same arena. To quote my wife: they need scratches.

Swing and a miss in the "improve the looks department" until they wear in a bit. Steering wheel arrives tomorrow. Being used, hopefully it blends in better.

There's something too that. The used King Ranch seats I got seem to do well in updating the truck without "needing some scratches" since they're used. Need to get the front door panels in, though.

Wood grain doesn't match, leather isn't as dark, and my buttons had different connectors than those on the new wheel, so I had to transfer 325k mile buttons over to new wheel.

Overall pleased though for a not expensive, nor difficult update.

Before/after. Top of the wheel was my problem with 'before'.

IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

Wood grain doesn't match, leather isn't as dark, and my buttons had different connectors than those on the new wheel, so I had to transfer 325k mile buttons over to new wheel.

Overall pleased though for a not expensive, nor difficult update.

Before/after. Top of the wheel was my problem with 'before'.

View attachment 55500 View attachment 55499

That looks like a nice upgrade. My steering wheel I found a guy who leather wrapped the stock vinyl steering wheel. I'm happy with the result in this truck. On my first Excursion (the 2000 model that I bought about 10 years ago) I got a redone steering wheel that had the wood like yours. I was really happy with it, I'm sure it'll help.

One of these days I'll get around to the King Ranch door panels in the front, but have to take the time to figure out what I need to do to the electronics. Just haven't had a chance to. Something about airplanes. :)

Same way you fly an ILS with no nav.

Prices I quoted are for mid trim level trucks. YMMV for higher or lower level trim levels.

I'm somewhat reluctantly coming to the conclusion that this thing will need some engine work on it. But I'm also at the point where I like it enough that I think I'll do something about it, especially looking at the costs associated with buying something different given the upgrades I've done at this point.

The truck is consistently consuming about a quart of oil every 100 miles. At this point I've put a few thousand miles on it so it's become pretty noticeable when driving it almost daily (40+ miles/day). As I already knew, the truck has a weak cylinder. It runs fine overall. I'm getting 15-16 MPG on my commuting cycle. Sometimes the weak cylinder doesn't want to fire at first when I start it, but once I rev it to 1000 RPM and get a little heat in it, it works fine. That might even be a bad glow plug/harness in conjunction with the cylinder. Running wise, I still feel like its off-the-line isn't what I want it to be. I haven't replaced the VGT solenoid on it which is the last thing that might be impacting this other than the engine being weak or "this is just how it is."

I'm debating what I want to do with it at this point. If I put an engine in it it'll basically become a keep forever truck, or at least keep for a long time since the engine will be new. The truck is effectively rust-free and at 190k it's "low miles" compared to @SaltH2OHokie 's F-350. On the other hand, oil is cheap. I have no idea how long I can just put oil in it before the truck gets unhappy.

I've started looking at some of the engine rebuilders for 6.0s. There's a rebuilder in Asheville, NC that seems good. Among their items are boring the thing 0.020" or 0.030" over (bit more air = less lag) and a reground cam that they say helps turbo lag.

What kinda number does that carry?

What kinda number does that carry?

Depends on the options. This place in Asheville includes ARP studs on their long block kits. Bit under $5k for the base long block. For an overbore and the cam, bit under $6k. Then whatever labor goes into the engine swap, because I'm not that interested in doing it myself... enough other stuff to do.

I could also try to get a used 6.0 to throw in.

Depends on the options. This place in Asheville includes ARP studs on their long block kits. Bit under $5k for the base long block. For an overbore and the cam, bit under $6k. Then whatever labor goes into the engine swap, because I'm not that interested in doing it myself... enough other stuff to do.

I could also try to get a used 6.0 to throw in.

That's a bit "ouch". One way to decide is what it does to the value of the truck, of course. It's hard to justify repairs that don't raise the value of the truck, which this will... but the question is, how much.

The Dodge was quite a bit cheaper but it was just a head job, studding, and new injectors. No lower end work. Yours obviously sounds like you have to get into the bottom half of it. You sure you're going to need a cam, or is that just a want to have?

Given my friend's experience with replacing the 6.0 in his truck, get it done locally with good warrantee support.He's on his third iteration, two being warrantee jobs.

[WHISPER]Order that new Ram with stick shift before they stop making them, then keep it forever.[/WHISPER]

That's a bit "ouch". One way to decide is what it does to the value of the truck, of course. It's hard to justify repairs that don't raise the value of the truck, which this will... but the question is, how much.

The Dodge was quite a bit cheaper but it was just a head job, studding, and new injectors. No lower end work. Yours obviously sounds like you have to get into the bottom half of it. You sure you're going to need a cam, or is that just a want to have?

I don't think it would need a cam. Also this particular shop does exchange engines rather than rebuilding yours, so it would have a good cam in it regardless. However one of the stated improvements of the cam is reducing turbo lag, which is important to me, plus a general efficiency/power improvement. Who knows how much it reduces it by, though, and what else comes into play. The engine package I was looking at also overbores it a hair, and of course more displacement gives you less turbo lag, even though the extra displacement is minimal on a 0.020-0.030" overbore. Some of the numbers at the website of this one shop seem a bit optimistic, but they're trying to sell their engines.

Given my friend's experience with replacing the 6.0 in his truck, get it done locally with good warrantee support.He's on his third iteration, two being warrantee jobs.

That's not encouraging. Has that been because of the quality of the engine rebuilds themselves, installation issues, or just got the thing turned up too high?

[WHISPER]Order that new Ram with stick shift before they stop making them, then keep it forever.[/WHISPER]

The thought has crossed my mind, too. But I really was pretty unimpressed by the test drive. Maybe it's in part because I drove such a base model truck, the higher end ones might be better. I'm also realizing that if I order new, I'm going to want to get some more of the fancy features, mainly leather seats. The other luxury features I don't care about any, but I like the nice seats. Also that engine in the new one was too quiet and too smooth, and there are some parts about the aesthetics that I don't like on the Dodge, especially as a SRW, but I think the Fords look nicer. I've also decided I don't particularly want a dually at this point, since I don't need it and it'll make parking that much harder for normal driving (which I'm doing regularly).

At that point, the price tag gets pushed up quite a bit... probably closer in the $50-60k range out the door depending on specific options. Then I also have a new truck which, while nice in many ways has its negatives. I'm reminded of some of the positives of my old truck every time my kids come out with hammers and "I fix this diesel truck!" If I had really loved the Dodge when I test drove it it would be different and I would probably want to go that way, but I didn't. I got in my F-350 (which at the time ran like crap), drove it home, and said "I like the way this drives better." Plus the emissions junk on there, which this truck already has deleted.

I did look briefly at the Cummins conversion option. That one is a no go. The conversion kits practically cost as much as a rebuilt 6.0L, and that doesn't even include the Cummins engine or any of the labor that goes with it. That just isn't worth doing at all, especially given all the money I put into 6.0L parts that would still be usable with a new engine if I decided to go that route.

For now I'll probably keep on driving it as-is and dumping more oil in while I finish up some of the other items I'm working on with it, then decide what to do with it. I still need to get the front door panels from the King Ranch interior put in.

Back