Thinking about: Leasing a new truck

And whether it's belching black smoke only under acceleration, or belching black smoke continuously as it drives down the road, it's had its emission systems deleted, defeated, or has otherwise illegally modified. Calling the Feds would be a dick move... but then so is subjecting everyone around you to that stench.

Depends. If the truck is just belching black smoke while going down the road, it doesn't necessarily mean any of the emissions equipment was deleted. Also, many diesels prior to 2003 or so didn't have any emissions equipment to begin with, so nothing to delete/defeat. I do agree that rolling coal is the dumbest thing anyway, as it just puts a target on anyone with a diesel that DOES have emissions-deletes on it for valid reasons. It's also really bad on engines as it forces a ton of fuel into the cylinders to generate the smoke which also washes down the cylinder walls. Doesn't change the smell of a diesel though until you get into the more modern diesels with DEF/diesel particulate filters.

And whether it's belching black smoke only under acceleration, or belching black smoke continuously as it drives down the road, it's had its emission systems deleted, defeated, or has otherwise illegally modified. Calling the Feds would be a dick move... but then so is subjecting everyone around you to that stench.

Not true. Mine never had it.

My Cummins was old enough and had turbo lag and a manual trans. It puffed at every shift if pulling hard because you didn’t have time to wait on the turbo when pulling heavy. It tiny puffed when unloaded too. Just the way they work.

As soon as the turbo caught up it was clear as clear can be.

Guess what I got reported for by some dumbass in the city who didn’t know better?

Of course even funnier ... the “penalty” was the State sending an expensive to print, tri-fold, four color, glossy brochure about “getting a tune up”... LOL.

Then in the pretty brochure it said to important things way back around the last page on the back side:

Vehicles prior to X year, exempt.
Vehicles outside the rat colony metro emissions district, exempt.

Mine was both. (Remember the idiots who sent it to me also have the vehicle year and type AND where it lives in their database.)

Real coal rollers have systems to dump fuel into the engine that it doesn’t need all the time. Mine just fed itself too much fuel until the slow ass turbo caught up to manual clutching.

Most idiots living over in the rat colony don’t know the difference between a 1991 and a 2001 or 2011 or 2021 diesel. Hell most don’t know the difference in brands of truck.

If they actually cared they’d ask why city and school busses are all emissions exempt. Or wouldn’t buy houses where they sit for hours idling in rush hour traffic jams. Juuuust sayin.

But they don’t actually care. They want to complain about someone else’s business before examining their own.

Like all of us burning leaded fuel. (My airplane doesn’t need it but good luck finding something else at most airports.)

Virtue signaling.

“I saw a bad man actually towing something with an old truck! Report him to the thought police! Wait, what do you mean my kid’s school bus rolls coal legally all day all school year?”

LOL. Idiots. True idiots.

My office is across the street from a monster school bus yard. I should report every one that exits and enters daily just to give the “brochure person” a new brochure to make.

“Dear citizen, we exempted ourselves — of course. Have a lovely day.”

Of course they’d never send that. It would never get past the PIO. Wouldn’t want to embarrass the “green” mayor or city council. Hahaha.

OK, guys. Newer (less than 10 year old) Dodge pickup. Explain to me how it's perfectly fine for this POS to be rolling down the road rendering everything within half a mile behind it uninhabitable. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, other than it being driven by a complete douchebag. I'm sure I just missed it.

OK, guys. Newer (less than 10 year old) Dodge pickup. Explain to me how it's perfectly fine for this POS to be rolling down the road rendering everything within half a mile behind it uninhabitable. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, other than it being driven by a complete douchebag. I'm sure I just missed it.

As I mentioned, it might be legitimately in need of repair, not a purposeful act of "rolling coal". I'm sure you've seen a semi truck running down the road blowing smoke when they had a turbo issue or an injector fail. It doesn't mean that it doesn't need attention to correct, but probably not in the realm of the EPA. Hard to say, I just know that most guys who run that particular parlor trick don't generally do it just driving down the road, it's while sitting at a stop light or when under heavy acceleration. My EGR-deleted 6.0L doesn't belch any smoke unless I'm really getting on it, and even then it's a small puff (not a smoke show), EGR-delete has zero to do with smoke. You'd have no way of knowing the emissions equipment is missing on mine, as it doesn't really affect how it runs (except I get slightly better mileage and have less risk of expensive failures).

When I driving Dad's stock 1989 Cummins pickup, it does smoke a bit when driving highway speeds, the thing is basically going as fast as it can. I drove it 800 miles round trip once, pealed the carpet out from under the gas pedal and just stomped on it with the heal of my foot.

If I see someone behind I'll help them get around if possible, but yeah, there is a lot of volume coming out the exhaust and some smoke in it until I let the pedal up. Is just how it is. Like a 30 year old field tractor.

I do agree that rolling coal is the dumbest thing anyway
Extremely and it’s bad for the environment, but unfortunately, those who do it don’t give a rats tail about the environment anyway.

I had a hung injector on my less than 10 year old Ford this past winter that caused eye watering smoke and smell. You going to turn me in for something I had no control over?

Extremely and it’s bad for the environment, but unfortunately, those who do it don’t give a rats tail about the environment anyway.
You’ll be happy to know my diesel truck has DEF fluid to make it tree hugger friendly. Now if we can figure a way to get my 12 cylinders of leaded fuel burning under control! :)

I had a hung injector on my less than 10 year old Ford this past winter that caused eye watering smoke and smell. You going to turn me in for something I had no control over?
You do have control over it. Get it fixed.

I did. But if you were behind me before I got home you'd be complaining about me too.

Yes, the majority of the guys you're referring to are troublemakers but my point is, it isn't an all or nothing thing as myself and others have pointed out.

As others have mentioned, repairs needed. Priced modern diesel repair lately?

Mine done by a Cummins professional (who also flies C-130s in his “spare time”, ha...) after I blew a head gasket, after we discussed other things that “should be done while we’re in there” including studding the head, fixing a screwup by a previous shop regarding the turbo waste gate, and other optional things, was five figures.

When you realize many people (especially out here where I live) operating diesel pickups are blue collar trades people — that’s a significant downward force on fixing a work truck.

Also in my area they’re outside of the emissions district.

There’s a reason politicians don’t mess with the ex-burbs — they want a cheap plumber or bathroom and kitchen remodel. And cheap roofers. We all know this.

I’m not kidding. Out west here in cowtown the vast majority of small business contractors live outside the city where they have room to park things like trailers with continuous gutter machines and another for plumbing and bathroom remodel and another with their seasonal roofing equipment, and yet another for their heavy equipment for dirt work if they do that.

But like 80% of Americans, 80% of them are living contract to contract and have no five figure slush fund for a professional diesel shop. They’ll be out in their garage or barn fixing it themselves when they can.

Even if you mandate it by law, their gear can NEVER smoke, unless the fine is $5000 they simply won’t care. The trailers have to get to the job sites. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

As mentioned already neither do the city whiners. They want their $99 furnace repairs and cheap trades people. They are living paycheck to paycheck too, and can’t afford what it costs to hire a pro tradesman who lives across the street in a half million dollar mortgage.

And they definitely don’t care about the real polluters in the city that the city exempted from the so-called rules. The scale of pollution caused by densely populated people commuting in traffic in bubble SUVs they’ve never once taken off road, absolutely dwarfs anything even the intentional coal rollers create.

Tens of thousands of city busses running around empty or with three passengers for hours and hours a day. City heavy equipment. Hell, even ambulances sitting everywhere idling on a good day.

The scale of their pollution and their hypocrisy is a thousand fold bigger than coal rollers.

Seen any clamoring for new nuke plants for their pie in the sky electric dreams?

Worrying about coal rollers is like worrying about the kid peeing in the Olympic sized pool while the city is dumping toxic waste by the dump truck load into the other end of the pool.

But it’s NOTICEABLE tiny pollution and not the COMMON approved mass pollution of consumers driving to the mall by the thousands to buy plastic crap they don’t need weekly, you see?

Zero sense of scale amongst the modern eco-warrior virtue signalers. Tell them to drive a stick shift Toyota Corolla to work and keep it twenty years and watch them scream they deserve that bubble SUV. They might navigate a gravel parking lot someday. LOL.

Ever seen them lobby for companies to work from home? Covid proved easily half the vehicles on the roads and half the commercial office buildings were never a true need.

Economics. You’ve never left anything you own broken but operable? Not even a smoky lawnmower to manicure grasses that don’t need to exist around city houses at all? Snowblower? LOL.

Not buying the holier than thou routine. Lawn grass won’t even grow here unless it’s irrigated and water is wasted on it. Kentucky bluegrass isn’t exactly native. Try telling the HOA that rocks look just fine over in cowtown. LOL.

I don’t think most coal rollers are vehicles in need of repair, but it’s a larger percentage than this generally affluent crowd here probably thinks.

The crowd that burns 100 gallons of leaded fuel to go a few hundred miles for lunch.

What did you pay your last plumber per hour? Could you afford to fix a $40,000 truck very often on what you paid them?

Be serious. Think a little. The math just isn’t that hard.

A really good contractor can make six figures. But usually not mid to high six figures. They build what little wealth they have in the business itself. There’s nobody giving them a 401K match. Hell, our tax system penalizes them if they pay themselves a real salary and own the business.

In the really large cities, contractors breaking laws to do work is nearly a guarantee. Ask any NYC contractor if they have a permit vs non-permit price for a job, they won’t even try to hide it.

A diesel truck misbehaving that still runs to do those jobs? The least of their worries. Flog it.

Like leaded exhaust airplanes, the fleet of old diesels is dwindling but every solid pre-DEF non-computerized or simple-computers diesel truck is migrating into the hands of tradespeople. Mine went to work on a ranch.

They can’t afford the silly shiny new ones that burp once and their computer shuts them down until a place with a $20K diagnostic machine can ask the truck what it thinks is wrong with it. Can’t afford the downtime, can’t afford the repair. The pro diesel guy charges more an hour than they make at your house.

Seen the price of beef lately? If my old truck doesn’t go to that ranch, tack on another whatever per pound.

My contractor buddy across the road who has all those trailers and businesses and does reasonably well for himself, finally dropped his diesel dually in favor of a couple of gas powered trucks, one dually one SRW. He couldn’t find a diesel he could afford to acquire AND maintain properly. He could, but he wanted to build himself a big shop building.

One makes his gear last longer and increases jobs he can do, the other is ... a truck. A tool. If it smoked a little he’d eventually fix it himself, but it wouldn’t be out of any particular environmental concern. Not as top priority anyway. He’s doing well enough he at least could afford it. He’s clearly in that top 20% and not living job to job.

He’s also booked solid. One of these days he’s coming over to build us a new kitchen and a couple of bathrooms. I don’t expect to see him over here until this fall when Covid vaccinations are truly a done deal and people aren’t remodeling out of boredom and being stuck at home.

No different in my biz. Lots of lip service to IT “best practices” from the giant companies with specialty staff entire teams who do only one specialty. Nobody our size can afford to do all of it.

Always entertaining when customers want what their 35 person specialty team can accomplish or better yet when government customers want something...

“Is this a mandatory requirement by law?”

“No but we waaaaaaaant it.”

“Sure. We’ll give you a quote to pay for it. We need six more staff and your contract made us $1000 in profit. I’m sure you’ll agree, you can’t afford what you want.”

Of course we can’t be quite that blunt about it, but it’s reality. The more meetings they ask for to whine about it, the less likely we’ll get it done, too. Either we meet with you multiple times a week for “status updates” or we go work on it, your call.

All it takes if you want it, is paying enough to every contractor to drive a shiny new truck to your house. Always choose the bidder who has a brand new truck or fleet of them if you’re truly serious about fixing it.

That has to be the most verbose self-righteous rant I ever tl;dr’ed. Never mind, I’m done.

That has to be the most verbose self-righteous rant I ever tl;dr’ed. Never mind, I’m done.

Methinks you may want to check the mirror.

I don’t even own a diesel truck anymore.

I simply answered your question.

The above was your reality check, not mine Zippy. You asked on a discussion forum. I can’t help it if you don’t like the answer.

All sorts of people can’t afford the things you want of them. Nor can you afford them raising their prices to meet your lofty goals.

It’s simply all about money. You wanna whine, cough up lots of it and you’ll solve the problem.

Quite the contrary to self righteousness, I feel quite blessed I was able to pass on a solid piece of equipment to a guy who literally makes your food, so he could do it at the price point to which you’re accustomed, Sire.

Only if it pleases Your Lordship, of course. LOL.

Nearly everyone here puts more toxins into the atmosphere flying our little pleasure craft across the sky than a coal roller will.

There just aren’t that many of them.

There’s at least a hundred million commuters in bubble SUVs they don’t need, going to places to buy plastic garbage headed for the landfill in a few months when it breaks. And all the energy used to make the consumer garbage.

That’s just facts. I didn’t say they had to stop doing it. I said they COULD. Or roughly half of them anyway. We just proved it. My company’s office is still essentially closed. Always was a waste of time and lots of resources for everyone to drive to it.

In the process of solidifying that right now. The critical business continuity gear is already 80% in data centers, we’ll have that to 95% in another month.

Be interesting to see if the owner sells off the combo office and warehouse. I suspect he paid cash so he’ll sit on it.

There’s still six staff running a business out of the warehouse that can’t work off-site. There’s another six or so who felt they needed the old commute and office cubical farm feel. I’ve been up there four times in a year for required on-site things and I was alone in a space designed for 150 or so.

A whole bunch of businesses figured out they don’t need weekday human storage units.

Here’s hoping the trend continues. It’s a lot more effective than whining about coal rollers. Coal rollers are a novelty spurred on by making a fuss about them on the internet.

If you want to fuss, fuss about useless office buildings. Fuss about commutes.

Millions and millions of commuters is where the real impact is at, if you’re serious about enviro-virtue-signaling.

Brag about telling your boss to stuff it when he or she decides they want you back in the cube farm. If that’s your gig.

See? Money. Threaten your money you’ll happily go sit in a traffic jam in a bubble SUV when you need to eat.

See how that works? Duhhhhhh. It’s not that difficult to figure out.

It’s also not difficult to compare orders of magnitude that far apart.

Anyway question asked and answered. Sorry you didn’t like the answer.

You probably shouldn’t have asked if you’re prone to falling back to personal insults of people YOU chose to engage in discussions with, who answered your question accurately and with plenty of real world examples.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. If you’re going to get angry about economic reality, well... it’s going to be a long very frustrating life. Haha.

The context that’s probably missing here is that I laugh about these things. The internet gets stirred up about coal rollers and ignores that they spent two hours idling in traffic and ten or more hours a week driving back and forth between people storage units.

You’re truly my kind of entertainment. I’ve enjoyed the complete lack of sanity of online discussions since I did them at 300 baud as a kid. It’s fun to poke at online delusions.

Like the idea that bro dozers or coal rollers are really a massive problem. Ha. They’re just not.

If you wanna get really mad, check out that stuff called lightning. It sets whole forests and fire. I hear they call it, “burning wood”. Way worse than the coal rollers. Look into it and report back. LOL.

And all the guy asked was wether he should lease a truck....

2020 Repo with 5400 miles actually. But close! lol It has a lot of extra options that are rarely found on a Big Horn. I lucked out.

Someone's dream got crushed.

Usually a mall crawler 3/4-1 ton truck with a lift kit 6" or 8". Comically large wheels (22-26") but tires with zero sidewall that would be absolutely worthless in any off-road environment. Sometimes they drop $10K+ in color-matched suspension parts that never see dirt, and the diesel will never have a trailer attached. Essentially a pavement princess. The new craze is the "Carolina squat" where they intentionally have the rear end lower than the front. Driver is just about guaranteed to be wearing something that says "Yee Yee" on it, lol.

It's a form of hot-rodding. Saw this one in its natural habitat today. Most of the key features of the species are present.

hey_bro.jpg

For a change, it wasn't owned by some sleeve-tattoed 'Bro' in his 20s. This was owned by a black guy in his 50s.

It's a form of hot-rodding. Saw this one in its natural habitat today. Most of the key features of the species are present.

View attachment 94921

For a change, it wasn't owned by some sleeve-tattoed 'Bro' in his 20s. This was owned by a black guy in his 50s.

He needs some fender extensions to cover those tires. They throw up a lot of road debris when they stick out that far.

Also, having the bumpers up that high is dangerous to other traffic. If he rear ends someone, he's going to hit the softer part of a sedan's trunk, or the middle of the tailgate of an SUV/crossover.

Also, having the bumpers up that high is dangerous to other traffic. If he rear ends someone, he's going to

Kill someone. That is the main reason I don't like brodozers (well, the rolling coal thing isn't good, either), it puts other road users at much greater risk. And it creates a kind of roadway arms race, a race to who can buy the biggest truck. And in some ways, with the SUV craze, that is what everyone does. Buy the biggest box on wheels they can afford. I like cars that are fun and handle well, like my little 6sp Civic Si, but I definitely have some anxiety when I'm tailgated by one of these.

He needs some fender extensions to cover those tires. They throw up a lot of road debris when they stick out that far.

Also, having the bumpers up that high is dangerous to other traffic. If he rear ends someone, he's going to hit the softer part of a sedan's trunk, or the middle of the tailgate of an SUV/crossover.

I do wish law enforcement in most states would come down hard on those with tires/wheels sticking out past the fender well/fender flares. Jeep guys are notoriously bad about it. I don't like getting pelted with sand/rocks because someone thinks it looks cool to have 4"+ tire sticking out. I also agree on the vehicle height, as the increased bumper height is going to kill someone. There are plenty of 8"+ lifts where someone's hitch is going to darn near hit the windshield before the car bumper makes contact with the rear axle.

Kill someone. That is the main reason I don't like brodozers (well, the rolling coal thing isn't good, either), it puts other road users at much greater risk. And it creates a kind of roadway arms race, a race to who can buy the biggest truck. And in some ways, with the SUV craze, that is what everyone does. Buy the biggest box on wheels they can afford. I like cars that are fun and handle well, like my little 6sp Civic Si, but I definitely have some anxiety when I'm tailgated by one of these.

Try driving a little british car or something similar that the highest point on the vehicle is 40ish inches. Even normal vehicles like minivans or small SUVs are hazardous because they can't see you.

I feel much safer riding a motorcycle than I do driving my car because you typically sit high enough on a motorcycle to be seen.

I do wish law enforcement in most states would come down hard on those with tires/wheels sticking out past the fender well/fender flares. Jeep guys are notoriously bad about it. I don't like getting pelted with sand/rocks because someone thinks it looks cool to have 4"+ tire sticking out. I also agree on the vehicle height, as the increased bumper height is going to kill someone. There are plenty of 8"+ lifts where someone's hitch is going to darn near hit the windshield before the car bumper makes contact with the rear axle.

Require them to have a 'DOT bumper' ;-)

Require them to have a 'DOT bumper' ;-)

Lol, my Excursion actually has a factory "crash bar" that sits down below the frame horns behind the bottom lip of the front bumper. It was put there specifically because during crash testing, the Excursions sat up high enough that the cars would tend to submarine under the bottom causing catastrophic damage. The crash bar just reinforced the frame/bottom of the bumper to make that less likely. I can't imagine the carnage from someone running a 6-8" lift kit and no provision for it. I bet if the police/DOT started cracking down on the excess lift kits and stuff that DOES materially impact other people on the road, you'd see a lot less of the brodozers on the market. Although this might be the next "autozone add-on"

s-l1600.jpg

I feel much safer riding a motorcycle than I do driving my car because you typically sit high enough on a motorcycle to be seen.

I believe that, I feel that I can see and be seen a lot better on my adventure style motorcycle then when driving the Civic Si.

I bet if the police/DOT started cracking down on the excess lift kits and stuff that DOES materially impact other people on the road, you'd see a lot less of the brodozers on the market.

The Bros would just complain bitterly that the popo is picking on them.

In MD (where this pic was taken), there is a rule against having the tires stick out past the fenders* and the lights probably dont conform to DOT regs either. A creeper-cop willing to incur the wrath of the Bros could probably issue a stack of repair-orders on any of those vehicles.

* if its older than 25 years, there are special 'street rod' plates that allow canted or protruding tires, but then you are limited in use to parades and meets

Nice truck, I really like the color, but they misspelled GMC.....:lol:

A few years ago I was accused of having a ''whistle kit'' on my truck. I had to go look that one up.

What is a whistle kit? Apparently my Google-Fu wasn't strong enough.

Apparently it is what knowledgeable folks call a turbo charger.

Ah, I was thinking it was some sort of device installed to mimic the sound of a turbo. My '03 Powerstroke has the 10-vane turbo which has a very audible whistle both at idle and on acceleration. They went to a 13-vane compressor wheel in mid-'04 which supposedly quieted it down a good bit. If my turbo ever goes out, I'd probably opt for the 13-vane upon replacement. (that probably banishes me to turbo-diesel hell)

The ear-splitting whistling sound is also a sign of superior manliness. It follows that it needs to be distributed to bystanders through the use of straight-pipe exhausts.

Which is funny since I have a muffler. But it is a performance muffler, not a straight pipe.

Not that big a deal to pull over for a sec if something behind you is that “terrifying”.

Been tailgated by bigger and more dangerous stuff than a lifted pickup.

Mountain out of a molehill compared to what actually kills people.

People prove it’s not a true safety concern by their need to get somewhere three minutes sooner overriding their desire to just let it pass them.

Again, folks just want to whine about others.

You truly have control of the tailgating thing unless there’s no exits or shoulder for a hundred miles.

Whether it’s a lifted pickup or anything else.

We’ve had the speeding discussion here before and well over 90% partake and rationalize it.

It gets someone across a typical metro five minutes faster at most if one does the math.

This crowd here whining about safety is hilarious.

Hasn’t left town since I got it home, and it’s gotten at least 17 MPG in town, some weeks were closer to 18 MPG. A friend just bought his kid a 2009 Mazda CX-7 with a 2.4L 4 banger, turbo, VVT and direct injection, my dinosaur 4.6L V8 gets almost identical mileage.

Attachments

• CCE4DC3D-8F62-4370-A9B1-10860F172E05.jpeg
    CCE4DC3D-8F62-4370-A9B1-10860F172E05.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 9
Back