Thinking about giving up on aviation

I posted a rant a while back about the condition of my airport and particularly my hangar. The owner finally got around to look at my hangar and told me today it needed more work than he was willing to invest so I needed to move out. I could rent a smaller hangar for 100 more a month. When I complained about the price increase and general condition of the airport he told me to remove my airplane from the airport by the end of the month. I offered to fix the hangar at my expense and they said no thanks. Before you accuse me of being a jerk, just know that over the past 6 months they have run 20 tenants off the airport. We have gone from having a short waiting list to 31 open hangars.

I have called every airport within an hour drive and nobody has any hangar space. I refuse to let my airplane sit on a ramp rotting away. If I have to drive more than an hour I’ll never use it so what is the point? I’m to the point now that if nothing becomes available I am going to remove the wings and put in a storage unit and just walk away from aviation.

Lesson learned, a crappy hangar is better than no hangar so keep your mouths shut!

More than an hour from you, but you might check Rutherfordton (KFQD). I lived in the Asheville, NC area for a number of years - and didn't like the prospects around there. I settled
on Rutherfordton, even though it took me a bit over an hour to get there. Fine airport, with a long, wide runway and good approaches (and a popular cafe on field). I had space
in a community hangar. Good roads between you and there, so might not be too bad.

Nowadays I am in a similar situation. There are closer airports, but no hangars to be had. My hangar is 60 miles from where I live - but good roads make it do-able.

Dave

I was on the wait list for my airport for two decades, and only got a hangar due to new construction. I was on the top of the "still breathing" list. Wound up with the crappiest hangar at the airport, too.

No. I left messages at SVH, HKY, and RUQ but haven't gotten a call back. I know the airport manager was on vacation until today at SVH. I may be able to hide the airplane in another hangar short term if I don't find a new home by the end of the month.

No. I left messages at SVH, HKY, and RUQ but haven't gotten a call back. I know the airport manager was on vacation until today at SVH. I may be able to hide the airplane in another hangar short term if I don't find a new home by the end of the month.

I’m sure there’s a waiting list at Lake Norman but might want to try there too.

More than an hour from you, but you might check Rutherfordton (KFQD). I lived in the Asheville, NC area for a number of years - and didn't like the prospects around there. I settled
on Rutherfordton, even though it took me a bit over an hour to get there. Fine airport, with a long, wide runway and good approaches (and a popular cafe on field). I had space
in a community hangar. Good roads between you and there, so might not be too bad.

Nowadays I am in a similar situation. There are closer airports, but no hangars to be had. My hangar is 60 miles from where I live - but good roads make it do-able.

Dave

Is that cafe still there? We loved it.

I’m sure there’s a waiting list at Lake Norman but might want to try there too.

I talked to them back earlier in the year and was told there was in a typical “we are too good for you” lake Norman way lol. I’m on the waiting list at Elkin too. I’m pretty sure Wilkesboro doesn’t even have GA hangars anymore.

Back