Thinking about Blimpies

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Who's hungry?

images

I didn't even realize Blimpie was still around.

There was one in the shopping center where the gym is, but it disappeared years ago. Never was on my radar for a fast food venue though.

Loved Blimpies as a kid in NJ. But when I tried them in other parts of the country, they were never the same.

I have been to two Blimpies over the years. Once each. The subs I had were big huge pieces of bread with a little bit of sandwich filling. I like it the other way around.

You may find a better sub than Publix occasionally, but if you are traveling the country and want a great sub, go to Publix.

I didn't even realize Blimpie was still around.
I’m not sure if they are or not. The one nearby that I used to go to when I was little closed up probably ten years ago.

I favor WhichWich? when I'm looking for a sandwich. Either that or Publix.
WhichWich is good - wish we had one around here.

Publix subs are pretty good, as I like Boar’s head products, my only complaint is that their bread (specifically the dark wheat/pumpernickel) can be like shoe leather sometimes, especially if it’s been sitting for too long.

Jersey Mike's for me.

WhichWich and JimmyJohn's are the same to me.

[Ravioli runs and hides]

Jersey Mike's for me.

WhichWich and JimmyJohn's are the same to me.

[Ravioli runs and hides]

Never been to Jersey Mike's, if there's one convenient, I'll try it.

JimmyJohn's and WhichWich are kind of the opposites, JimmyJohn's specialty is serving a limited variety of sandwiches fast and cheap, WhichWich gives you the opportunity to make pretty much any kind of sandwich with any kind of toppings at a higher price point. I like their bread better as well.

EDIT: No need to run and hide @Ravioli, we all know your specialty is pasta, not sandwiches.

Last edited:
I guess we still have 2 Blimpie's in town here, and 2 in Lansing as well.

Jersey Mikes is along the same lines as Publix. The bread will make or break the sub entirely. Jersey Mikes seems to have some leather-like bread. Not my favorite.

I liked Blimpies ok, but loved the sandwiches from Thundercloud (local to Austin). They once delivered a sandwich to me in Physics Lab. How awesome is that?!

I worked at Blimpies for about 2 months back in the mid 90s. I even had the honor of dressing in a Blimpie Bear costume in 90 degree heat waving at passing cars. I quit after that magnificent day.
Nowadays, if I'm in a sub-sandwich kind of mood, I go to Jersey Mikes.

I have one close to me, but I never eat there because I don't normally do bread. But between them and Subway I'd much rather have a Blimpie.

If I were going to actually eat a sub it would by Jimmie John's probably.

What's the difference between that and a salad?

A salad goes in a bowl, and has shredded or chopped lettuce and other ingredients. A lettucewich is made like a sandwich and can be picked up and eaten like one.

348s.jpg

Eating salad with your hands doesn't make it a sandwich.

That escalated quickly...

Back