Thinking about an ipad....

I'll be curious to see how you like using the full size on the yoke compared to the mini. Once you get it mounted you should post some pics since I think (no real knowledge though) the arrow/archer yoke would be the same.

I'll take pics of both for you. I'm fairly certain the yokes are identical.

I personally think the iPad mini is the perfect size. I have the larger ipad as well and it is too big for the cockpit. Just my personal preference.

I did all my IR training with the iPad maxi on my lap. I've since flown on and off with it on a yoke ram mount in the 182 and couldn't decide if I liked that better or not. In smooth air it's great. In bumpy air it's following the yoke and I didn't like that.

Then I got a mini and whether on my lap or in a suction cup Ram mount on the LEFT WINDOW it's freaking awesome. VMC, on the window it's a bit in the way for left patterns but IMC it can be angled and put in a GORGEOUS position just to the left of the ASI. The Ram mount holds it still enough to poke at it with my left hand or even reach over with my right if necessary.

Only bad part was the day I didn't make sure the suction cup was solidly attached to the window properly before sticking the mini in the grabber. Tooting along in cruise the mount and iPad popped loose and fell a foot or so onto my left wrist. Ouch! Little bastard. Haha. It's also a little difficult to remount if both hands aren't free. I one-handed popped it out of the mount and let the mount fall behind the seats (keep it out of the rudder pedals) and used the mini from my lap until I had time to mess with it.

Now I give the suction cup a little tug after putting it up there now and I'm considering the dual cup mount just for "backup" in case one of the cups lets go.

But in general I absolutely LOVE mounting it on the left hand side low as I can (less distance to fall and whack my arm -- haha) where it's easy to add to the scan, without it being attached to the yoke.

Get it low enough on the window and angle it out toward you and it's easy to see over it when looking for traffic ahead of the wing in the standard "Cessna forward lean" after lifting the wing to look first and then leaning forward to look around the leading edge in left turns.

It's also just a great place to add it to the scan and the flow. Glance at approach plate, still can see the ASI and Horizon pretty easily without much eyeball effort and then back to the whole six pack for a sec, back to the plate, six pack, engine instruments, six pack, plate, ad nauseum.

Well actually... without ad nauseum... because there's no need to tilt your head forward and down to your lap. Just look left.

If I could permanently mount it to the pillar, with an arm angled down to bring it lower over near the ASI, I'd absolutely love that.

The Air 2 is smaller in overall outside dimensions but has a larger and higher res screen than the non-Air ipads. Essentially they thinned it, lightened it, and shrunk the size of the bezel. To me it feels much less bulky than my old iPads.

I asked a similar question on here recently, and let me preface this with I have only been a licensed private pilot for 2 months and 9 days....take it for what it's worth.

I have never owned apple products in my life (until now), don't like their practices (long story short they milk people for every dime they can, and due to their somewhat "cultish" following people stay pay up). Do they have good products, yes, but I still prefer to keep my distance... HOWEVER...

Being a new pilot and going into instrument training and planning to do a lot of flying, wanted to get a good aviation app for use in the cockpit. I'm 6'3" tall and over 200 lbs, so space is already limited in there, so mini it is.

After posting a thread and endless research on Foreflight vs Garmin Pilot, I faced the reality that it's basically a Ford vs Chevy thing and everyone has to choose for themselves. Luckily they both have free 30 day trials (also learned about WingX Pro along the way). So in order to try Foreflight which is only for IOS, you guessed it, Ipad mini it is!

Bought the Ipad Mini 4, with 64 G (if you're gonna spend the money, might as well get newest and plenty of storage). Have to get the cellular version (because heaven forbid they put a GPS receiver in the Wifi model.... many Andriod tablets do this FYI).

After trying all 3 Apps....
1. WingX Pro - Liked that the best
2. Garmin Pilot - Liked that second best
3. ForeFlight - Liked that the least

Now many people will have that list inverted, but like I said, it really comes down to personal preference. They are all 3 really good apps, and the Ipad is really nice, just overpriced in my opinion.

Knowing what I know now, I could have gotten a Samsung tablet, WiFi-Only (which would have the GPS receiver) and saved a couple hundred bucks. ForeFlight may be the way to go for you so that puts you on the apple cart.

One last piece of advice. People will tell you to go with the cellular model with a small data plan for filing flight plans/getting weather etc. I just use my cell phone as a hot spot and that works just as well.

Good luck!

I asked a similar question on here recently, and let me preface this with I have only been a licensed private pilot for 2 months and 9 days....take it for what it's worth.

I have never owned apple products in my life (until now), don't like their practices (long story short they milk people for every dime they can, and due to their somewhat "cultish" following people stay pay up). Do they have good products, yes, but I still prefer to keep my distance... HOWEVER...

Let me just stop you there...

Sorry, hundreds of millions of people do not buy Apple products because they are following a "cult". We buy them because we perceive that the value to us exceeds to price we're paying. Different people value different things and put more or less value on different features so Apple products aren't for everyone. But to suggest that people are parting with their money in order to follow a cult is baloney.

Also, name a company that isn't trying to maximize profitability and I'll show you a company that is either lying or on its way out.

Still, your solution is the correct one: don't buy it if it doesn't hold enough value for your use case. :thumbsup:

Carry on thinking that, as Apple bashers will.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see how you like using the full size on the yoke compared to the mini. Once you get it mounted you should post some pics since I think (no real knowledge though) the arrow/archer yoke would be the same.

As requested.

Mini(1st Gen) with the RAM X-Grip mount:

ipad1-L.jpg

ipad2-L.jpg

ipad3-L.jpg

And this is the RAM plate mount for the ipad air:

bb168193-4d5a-49d7-95cf-af7867d0ac4f-L.jpg

a4d5bab1-1ff1-48c4-8696-f24e34a98fd4-L.jpg

2fd79031-5c13-4711-bc3a-35af785b40d8-L.jpg

Neither gets in my way even with full control movement. The ipad air just touches my stomach if the yoke is pulled back all the way. I'm short at 5'9" though, so I probably have my seat closer than most would.

As requested.

Mini(1st Gen) with the RAM X-Grip mount:

ipad1-L.jpg

ipad2-L.jpg

ipad3-L.jpg

And this is the RAM plate mount for the ipad air:

bb168193-4d5a-49d7-95cf-af7867d0ac4f-L.jpg

a4d5bab1-1ff1-48c4-8696-f24e34a98fd4-L.jpg

2fd79031-5c13-4711-bc3a-35af785b40d8-L.jpg

Neither gets in my way even with full control movement. The ipad air just touches my stomach if the yoke is pulled back all the way. I'm short at 5'9" though, so I probably have my seat closer than most would.

Hmmm.... that mini doesn't look too bad there. We're about the same height so our seat positions are probably pretty close. Do the controls feel heavier with one vs. The other?
Which do you think you'll prefer to fly with on the yoke most?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I've already used the mini quite a bit on the yoke. You really can't tell its there in flight. I haven't flown with the larger one on the yoke yet but the weight difference is small enough that I'm sure it will not be noticeable.

Sorry I missed the last part of your post.

Since the larger iPad works fine with no interference issues, I'll be using it. The larger screen is nicer but for me the bigger difference is the display is brighter and crisper. The mini is a 1st-gen iPad and the display isn't quite as good.

The new Mini 4 has the better Retina display which is crisper and brighter.

For VFR I MIGHT use the Mini more often because it's slightly less obtrusive. For IFR, where its crucial to see plate details as well as possible, iPad Air hands down.

Last edited:
For VFR I MIGHT use the Mini more often because it's slightly less obtrusive. For IFR, where its crucial to see plate details as well as possible, iPad Air hands down.

This is an excellent point. If I do decide to get an ipad it will probably be the full size since it's main duty will be IFR.
Thanks for all the help and pictures!

Anytime! Hopefully it can help someone else too. I know I've scoured the web for iPad mount pics and can never find what I'm looking for...

As a few brave pilots here have pointed out, don't make the mistake of locking yourself into a platform with no expansion or connectivity capabilities.
Years ago, when FF was the only good aviation app available, I stepped in the wrong direction and got an iPad. My regret has been growing almost as fast as the device has been artificially obsoleted.
Once my FF subscription expires, I will sell this to the first excited hipster and get a useful tablet instead.
Make an informed decision so that you can enjoy what you buy with your hard-earned money. Don't just blindly follow the cult.

As a few brave pilots here have pointed out, don't make the mistake of locking yourself into a platform with no expansion or connectivity capabilities.
Years ago, when FF was the only good aviation app available, I stepped in the wrong direction and got an iPad. My regret has been growing almost as fast as the device has been artificially obsoleted.
Once my FF subscription expires, I will sell this to the first excited hipster and get a useful tablet instead.
Make an informed decision so that you can enjoy what you buy with your hard-earned money. Don't just blindly follow the cult.
As I mentioned in the beginning of the thread I do have an android tablet now.
Just was looking at the different things the aviation apps can do in the apple ecosystem intrigues me. Not 100% sold on apple, plus the cost of the tablet is 10 hours of flight time..... granted not too major in the grand scheme of things but still.

I'll stick with Apple, as its OS is vastly more stable than Android, in my opinion.

Yes, I've used both.

The rest of your post isn't even worth addressing.

Wow. Where can you rent/operate aircraft that cheaply?
Ownership/partnership is wonderful thing isn't it? Ignoring a few costs but I plan $78/hr wet. It is ignoring a few costs, but who tells the complete truth on the Internet anyways? Lol

Last edited:
As an aside, we ordered an iPad Pro for Karen mid day Wednesday when it went on sale. 128 gig cellular in gold. Delivery was promised for Monday with free shipping. Arrived last night! Way to underpromise and overdeliver!

That will make us a 3 iPad family. I'll inherit her Air2 for around the house, and my iPad Mini Retina will be delegated for travel and airplane use.

As an aside, we ordered an iPad Pro for Karen mid day Wednesday when it went on sale. 128 gig cellular in gold. Delivery was promised for Monday with free shipping. Arrived last night! Way to underpromise and overdeliver!

That will make us a 3 iPad family. I'll inherit her Air2 for around the house, and my iPad Mini Retina will be delegated for travel and airplane use.

That is the thing about iPads, they keep working for a long time, and don't seem to break as easily as some of the cheap Android ones.

Ownership/partnership is wonderful thing isn't it? Ignoring a few costs but I plan $78/hr wet. It is ignoring a few costs, but who tells the complete truth on the Internet anyways? Lol

I watched the numbers until I realized they almost always eventually came out the same as renting in the long run, and then stopped looking at it that hard. Haha.

Back