Thinking about an ipad....

farmerbrake

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
farmerbrake
Currently I have a galaxy note 10.1 tablet (it's about 3, maybe 4 years old) that I've been running garmin pilot with the built in GPS and standard subscription (which is about to expire).
Thinking about become a cfi next year, wrapping up my instrument training this month.
Do you guys think it's a good idea to try and get a 64 gb ipad air 2 during the black friday sales this year?
I think I would opt for the +cellular ones because I don't want to spring for a stratus/gdl until I try both apps out/or really see a need for the units.
The only thing wrong with my tablet is I'm starting to notice it slow down a little bit, and it doesn't charge too quickly (almost needs a whole day for a full charge, but it still holds around a 5 hr charge with screen on full bright and GPS on.)
Thoughts? Anyone else thinking about getting an ipad in the near future?

I personally think the iPad mini is the perfect size. I have the larger ipad as well and it is too big for the cockpit. Just my personal preference.

I have an iPad Air and am thinking about upgrading to the iPad Pro. I also have ForeFlight and a Stratus 2 and it makes flying long cross countries a lot easier. I've debated getting the iPad Mini as that would be a bit more manageable in the cockpit but I use my iPad for more than flying, so having the bigger screen is nice to have.

Depends on the airplane and it depends on where you want to mount it.

On the yoke, the mini is the perfect size and in the perfect place. If you're going to use a knee mount and strap it to your thigh, the fullsize is pretty nice. I have both and am thinking about another mini(my first gen is getting slow).

I've thought about a mini. The one guy I fly with has one, but he sure has to do a lot of pinching and scrolling on approach plates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

For what reason? I don't find a need to zoom on plates at all. But, I keep my contact prescription current too:)

Edit - you have an Arrow? A RAM X-grip mount on the yoke puts a mini right there in front of you, nearly in your instrument scan. It's definitely not hard to read.

Keep in mind if you go with Apple, because of a divorce ply retarded design decision that they keep making over and over again, you must get the one with cellular capabilities so you can have a GPS (because that makes perfect sense, right?).

So no option there. You get to overspend for the picture of the fruit on the back, and overspend some more for capability that exists in every Android tablet at no cost.

But at least the camera and screen resolution is crappier too.

For what reason? I don't find a need to zoom on plates at all. But, I keep my contact prescription current too:)

Edit - you have an Arrow? A RAM X-grip mount on the yoke puts a mini right there in front of you, nearly in your instrument scan. It's definitely not hard to read.
Not sure. I'll have to ask him if I can use it the next time we fly to see how I like the size.
Yeah I have an arrow :) a yoke mount would be nice!
What setup do you have with your mini? (App, GPS reciever, etc.)

The reasoning behind the apple (despite being an android fan) is because of the additional capabilities of the apps compared to the android. Not sure if that's a good enough reason to want to switch or not.
Not here to brand bash or anything, although everyone has their own opinion.

I have a mini and a fullsize ipad, I use the mini on a yoke mount and the fullsize ipad on my thigh. Not usually at the same time though. Both are wifi+cellular but I use a Stratus 2S for the GPS source. Foreflight Pro is the app I use on both tablets.

I assume you have the traditional Piper "ram horn" yoke, which coincidentally is just the right width to tuck an ipad mini in there. Really doesn't get in the way of anything there. And if you use the X-grip mount you can bias the tablet downwards so that it doesn't block your view of the DG.

My full sized iPad fits fine on my yoke. It's oriented vertically for IFR flights, horizontally for VFR.. Put me in the camp with those who feel the mini is too small when using approach plates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have my full sized ipad yoke mounted just like yours. I was worried it would hit my lap with full control movements, but it clears. Nice to have the full approach chart and weather right below the instrument scan.

I have the homebuilt Stratux running now and it works great with foreflight. Gone are my old yoke mounted 396 with the power gps antenna wire and xm antenna wire.

I stopped mounting my mini to my yoke when the Stratus 2 came out.

if you have to use the AHRS for any reason the yoke is absolutely the worst spot to put it.

make sure to get one with more than the minimum storage. I have 16GB phone and ipad, and both are getting squeezed for space. I believe my foreflight with just 3 states uses 4-5 GB.

My full sized iPad fits fine on my yoke. It's oriented vertically for IFR flights, horizontally for VFR.. Put me in the camp with those who feel the mini is too small when using approach plates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking at the sightline, you're fairly tall, right? I'm too short and need to sit closer, never could make the fullsize work for me. Blocks most of the panel.

make sure to get one with more than the minimum storage. I have 16GB phone and ipad, and both are getting squeezed for space. I believe my foreflight with just 3 states uses 4-5 GB.
I have a 32gb iPad 2, and it's down to 5 gb free. But in addition to Ff and WingX, I also have lots of books and documentation. Complete coverage of FF (vfr, ifr low) is over 7 gb.

Get the T-Mobile version. They're all unlocked and you can use them on any carrier you choose, but you might as well start with a T-Mobile SIM card. You just need to activate it (no contract, no payment, no fuss) and you'll get 200MB/month LTE data for life. It's real convenient for filing flight plans, checking the weather, or similar low-bandwidth activities. It even works in Canada.

Also, keep in mind that you can always use your smartphone as a hotspot to get Internet on your iPad. You do not necessarily need to have an activated cellular model.

Also, keep in mind that you can always use your smartphone as a hotspot to get Internet on your iPad. You do not necessarily need to have an activated cellular model.
This is an accurate statement. My iPad is not the cellular version and I don't think I'm missing out on much by not having it. Most FBO's you go to have WiFi and those that don't, I just connect it to my iPhone's hot spot. I also have a Stratus II so I have GPS in the air. I can see there being a few times when the cellular version would be helpful but so far I haven't run into any issues with the WiFi only version.

Looking at the sightline, you're fairly tall, right? I'm too short and need to sit closer, never could make the fullsize work for me. Blocks most of the panel.

Yeah, 6'-2", it has some advantages...some disadvantages...

I have a 32gb iPad 2, and it's down to 5 gb free. But in addition to Ff and WingX, I also have lots of books and documentation. Complete coverage of FF (vfr, ifr low) is over 7 gb.

I have a 128gb air. I have over 5,000 songs on it, a few photos and foreflight, will all the data for the contiguous 48 (except IFR high).

It still has ample space.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to try and get a 64 gb ipad air 2 during the black friday sales this year?
I think I would opt for the +cellular ones because I don't want to spring for a stratus/gdl until I try both apps out/or really see a need for the units.

Been using iPads since 2010. Thing about Apple products is there is a good incentive to purchase when the model first comes out. Reason being is they don't really start discounting them until they're nearing obsolescence, and IMO the discount is not worth the technology depreciation that occurs. My experience has been that the technology is good for about 3-4 years. The Air 2 came out about a year ago, starting at $500. So based on a useful life of 4 years, it should be $500 * (3/4), or $375. So IMO, a $374 iPad Air 2 on Black Friday is no bargain.

I'd go with the Mini 4. And yes, IMO, the mini is the ideal screen size for the cockpit.

And I'm LOL at the person on the thread considering an iPad Pro. That thing is huge!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll ask the guy if I can use his mini in the plane this week to see what I think.
Been using iPads since 2010. Thing about Apple products is there is a good incentive to purchase when the model first comes out. Reason being is they don't really start discounting them until they're nearing obsolescence, and IMO the discount is not worth the technology depreciation that occurs. My experience has been that the technology is good for about 3-4 years. The Air 2 came out about a year ago, starting at $500. So based on a useful life of 4 years, it should be $500 * (3/4), or $375. So IMO, a $374 iPad Air 2 on Black Friday is no bargain.

I'd go with the Mini 4. And yes, IMO, the mini is the ideal screen size for the cockpit.

And I'm LOL at the person on the thread considering an iPad Pro. That thing is huge!
That's a good point that I didn't think about.

The new mini 4 and the air 2 both have universal sim cards right? So I don't have to get a t-mobile one specifically for the 200 mb free/ month.

I still think the extra $$$ for the cellular will be good in my case until I decide to get one of the adsb recievers.

iPad mini on your lap is prefect for flying.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll ask the guy if I can use his mini in the plane this week to see what I think.

That's a good point that I didn't think about.

The new mini 4 and the air 2 both have universal sim cards right? So I don't have to get a t-mobile one specifically for the 200 mb free/ month.

I still think the extra $$$ for the cellular will be good in my case until I decide to get one of the adsb recievers.

You'll just need to get the t-mobile sim card from T-mobile. IIRC, they charge $10 for it. AT&T and Verizon will give you their sim cards for free (but don't have a "free" data plan though).

I zoom and scroll often in order to mark up my plates. It's difficult for me to write notes or do highlights on my plates without some degree of zooming.

I started marking up my plates as a learning ritual during training and found I liked the result. I was able to highlight all the important stuff on the plate and that made briefing easier and less prone to error. I could mark NOTAMs on the plate even before FF started doing that. My notes and highlights persist across updates for the most part.

I use the 10" iPad RAM-mounted to the yoke in portrait (upside down - with the button at the top) and I like it. The super-sized one would be way too big for yoke use (would interfere with my hands I think) and would be pretty big and cumbersome on the knee too I think.

I can see using the iPad mini. Its screen is smaller but not so small as to be a problem. I have an old mini with FF and I used to use it as a 3rd string backup but it is so slow as to be unusable now.

My preference is to max out the memory of my devices just to future proof them a little and allow me to put FF on there and still have room for movies.

attachment.php

attachment.php

In that configuration, Do you not find that it rubs against you ?

In that configuration, Do you not find that it rubs against you ?

Mine does not interfere at all. I check that during the "Flight Controls Free and Correct" part of the checklist.

I zoom and scroll often in order to mark up my plates. It's difficult for me to write notes or do highlights on my plates without some degree of zooming.

I started marking up my plates as a learning ritual during training and found I liked the result. I was able to highlight all the important stuff on the plate and that made briefing easier and less prone to error. I could mark NOTAMs on the plate even before FF started doing that. My notes and highlights persist across updates for the most part.

I highlight the plate too. Altitudes in red, frequencies and final approach course in green, I always highlight the intended runway of landing... missed approach stuff in yellow. big arrow on a blank area for general wind direction. Final approach course also written big where there's space. Works pretty well for me.

I highlight the plate too. Altitudes in red, frequencies and final approach course in green, I always highlight the intended runway of landing... missed approach stuff in yellow. big arrow on a blank area for general wind direction. Final approach course also written big where there's space. Works pretty well for me.

Are you flying the plane or Bob Ross'ing the entire time?!?

I do it before I take off, most of the time. Sometimes in the air. Autopilot is a nice thing to have.

Currently I have a galaxy note 10.1 tablet (it's about 3, maybe 4 years old) that I've been running garmin pilot with the built in GPS and standard subscription (which is about to expire).
Thinking about become a cfi next year, wrapping up my instrument training this month.
The only thing wrong with my tablet is I'm starting to notice it slow down a little bit, and it doesn't charge too quickly (almost needs a whole day for a full charge, but it still holds around a 5 hr charge with screen on full bright and GPS on.)
Thoughts? Anyone else thinking about getting an ipad in the near future?

No, mine is recent.;)

I'm jealous that you guys can write on the approach plates. Is this just a foreflight feature or does Garmin Pilot have it too?

Foreflight Pro subscription(approximately $150 per year if memory serves).

Not sure if any of the other EFB apps offer it.

Another vote for the iPad Air 2. As a CFI, I use the ForeFlight "Documents" feature heavily, reviewing FAA pubs and other resources I've accumulated with students. For that I prefer the larger screen. The Air was the perfect compromise between the size of the original iPad and the compactness of the mini.

I also use my iPad for many things beyond ForeFlight and flying. It's probably the single best piece of technology I've ever purchased.

The air is smaller? I guess I don't remember... I had a fullsize ipad in the summer of 2012. I thought the thickness was the only different dimension. Shrug.

My opinion is that ipad+foreflight+stratus(or whatever brand you personally choose) is the best thing to happen to GA in the past decade. What you get for the money is really phenomenal.

Just ordered the same cradle as pictured in Tim's post. I have an x-grip yoke mount for the mini so I'll just re-use the shaft clamp and coupler since the new cradle comes with the ball on the back. I'm going to try the ipad air on the yoke and see how it works for me. On Sunday I found that flying with the mini on the yoke and having the plate in my scan made a huge difference as opposed to having to look down at my leg.

Last edited:
The air is smaller? I guess I don't remember... I had a fullsize ipad in the summer of 2012. I thought the thickness was the only different dimension. Shrug.

Yes, they significantly reduced the bezel size as well as thickness, and reduced the weight, while keeping the same screen size. I've been very pleased with the result.

I'm jealous that you guys can write on the approach plates. Is this just a foreflight feature or does Garmin Pilot have it too?

Foreflight Pro subscription(approximately $150 per year if memory serves).

Not sure if any of the other EFB apps offer it.

WingX has it too but fewer options than FF last I used it. I'd be surprised if Pilot didn't have some way of marking up plates but I don't know.

Just ordered the same cradle as pictured in Tim's post. I have an x-grip yoke mount for the mini so I'll just re-use the shaft clamp and coupler since the new cradle comes with the ball on the back. I'm going to try the ipad air on the yoke and see how it works for me. On Sunday I found that flying with the mini on the yoke and having the plate in my scan made a huge difference as opposed to having to look down at my leg.

I'll be curious to see how you like using the full size on the yoke compared to the mini. Once you get it mounted you should post some pics since I think (no real knowledge though) the arrow/archer yoke would be the same.

My opinion is that ipad+foreflight+stratus(or whatever brand you personally choose) is the best thing to happen to GA in the past decade. What you get for the money is really phenomenal.

My Air2 is slightly smaller in all exterior dimension than my old iPad2, but in no degree that makes a significant difference in cockpit ergonomics. For a yoke mount, the iPad mini is about the perfect size, but I use the iPad in my lap, and if I want something in my view like a forward SVT track or moving map, I can clip my iPhone 6+ to the glare shield where it's small enough to not block the view of anything but large enough to provide a decent 'view only' screen. Kind of like a non transparent HUD display.

Back