thinking about a treadmill

The first sentence fragment makes no sense. How does not liking walking outside affect saving money?

Tim
My guess is he's saying if you're not a person that likes to walk outside, you're not likely to be a person that likes using a treadmill so save your money because if you buy one, you're not going to use it.

I used to spend a lot of time on the Concept2 at the gym. I was a serious runner at the time (training for marathons so I ran a lot) and figured the rower made a good off-day practice that actually used some upper body work.

The treadmill (given one with a decent deck) is good when first starting out running working out of an injury and if the weather is too inhospitable (though I've run in pretty lousy conditions in the winters... I have to run very early in the morning int he summers). I've got one of the iFit compatible machines now so I do a lot of playing around with "coach" led stuff or google-maps enabled runs right now as I try to get back into marathon form (I pretty much went cold turkey after the 2018 Boston Marathon).

... am now pondering a treadmill instead. Which one should I get? Same rules as before, keep it under 1 AMU.
If you want to put your airplane on a treadmill, it will cost you much more than 1 AMU.
But the more important question is: do you think it will take off? :D

Look for one that folds up and has nice long handles so it will be easier when you inevitably turn it into a clothes rack.

The first sentence fragment makes no sense. How does not liking walking outside affect saving money?

Tim
Obviously it must be read in context with "I wanna get a treadmill".

10 years ago Horizon seems like a good choice for a medium priced elliptical. About 4 years ago they off-shored their manufacturing before I bought a replacement. Has continued to have annoying squeaking after one warranty repair and replacement with a different model. I would have to say avoid them.

I am replying to my own post here. I know it was a snarky reply, and for that I apologize.

To be honest, I have often thought about buying something like that, but my wife objected on similar grounds, and I didn't push it. She would always point out how many people buy these things and only use them for a short period of time, then they sit neglected. And as the years rolled on, I noticed how right she was by observing several friends that bought various types of exercise equipment that wound up being stored away or just taking up space. I always thought I would be different, but on reflection, I realized she was right. Now, I go for a long power walk after dinner and it is much more fun and much cheaper. And I feel better afterwards.

Elliptical machines are great. They are much lower impact than running and give you more efficient calorie use. I use them for cardio workouts a lot. They're nice because if you have a TV near one you can either pop Netflix on or a channel you like. They're also a great place to just listen to music and zone out a bit or listen to audiobooks.

It still does not make any sense.

Tim

It doesn't . Plenty of people get bored walking outside but enjoy it indoors with a TV or their iPad.

This morning it was -5F and 40mph wind. Of course, there are always a couple of the college jocks out running in shorts, but I prefer the treadmill in this weather. A sunny 40F morning otoh, I'll rather run or bike and get a morning coffee at the halfway point.

I always hated the treadmill and would much rather be outside, even if the wx was crappy. Rain, snow, freezing rain, heat, cold, whatever, as long as the pavement wasn't icy and the windchills were above zero. Some of my favorite runs were early, oh dark thirty, with a light mist or even fog. Peaceful.

Running outside lets you set your own pace. Going uphill or just need to dial it back? Go ahead. Feel like pushing it? Do it.

The treadmill maintains a steady pace. Sure, you can change it if you want, but it isn't as simple as just speeding up or slowing down.

Later, after I wasn't so competitive with myself, I ended up preferring the treadmill. I could do it in the climate controlled comfort of my own house. Add a fan when necessary.

I always hated the treadmill and would much rather be outside, even if the wx was crappy. Rain, snow, freezing rain, heat, cold, whatever, as long as the pavement wasn't icy and the windchills were above zero. Some of my favorite runs were early, oh dark thirty, with a light mist or even fog. Peaceful.

Running outside lets you set your own pace. Going uphill or just need to dial it back? Go ahead. Feel like pushing it? Do it.

The treadmill maintains a steady pace. Sure, you can change it if you want, but it isn't as simple as just speeding up or slowing down.

Later, after I wasn't so competitive with myself, I ended up preferring the treadmill. I could do it in the climate controlled comfort of my own house. Add a fan when necessary.

If I possibly can, i avoid the dreadmill. A couple of weeks ago it was 45 degrees and misting, I almost broke down and got on it. I looked outside and said, "screw it, I'm going outside." So I put on long pants and a long sleeve top and ran outside. I can tolerate about 30 minutes on the 'mill, then I have to get off.

I am sitting here in Saigon, Vietnam, with an ace wrap around my knee and I can barely walk. I can barely walk because I spent the last three weeks in Northern Vietnam with no gym facilities, so I tried running. I am not a runner. I thought my knee would hold up. It did not. I really wish I did not run. This knee injury is really putting me out.

That is why I would not do a treadmill, period. I personally have a gym membership (back home) that gives me better cardio equipment than I would be willing to buy for the home. That said, if I were in a situation where I couldn't walk, hike or bike outside and no access to a gym, I would probably opt for either a used commercial spin class cycle (I like Star Trac the best, solid units, last forever) or a beater steel framed road bike with a stationary trainer setup. That would probably be more economical plus you can have your Zwifts or whatever if you are in to that. You can't really go wrong with an elliptical, but as others have alluded any commercial grade treadmill or elliptical machine worth a salt is going to be very pricey. A new Precor AMT elliptical starts out at seven grand.

There is something about working out at home that just doesn't work for me. Like working from home doesn't work for me. If I try to work from home I don't get work done. I can get work done from home but it takes four times as long. Same thing with exercising. I just can't get it done. I can sit on a spin cycle or an elliptical machine, alone, at zero dark thirty and get it done. I can get it done because there is nothing else to do in the gym other than to do other exercises.

Called a local retailer, they said Spirit was a respectable entry level treadmill at $1400ish, but they don't sell used or refurb. Time to set up a saved craigstlist search...

Planet Fitness, 10 bucks a month and you can have a treadmill and an elliptical and more room in your house.

A assault air runner is a “true form “ runner. Not a powered belt. You drive it. It mimics the running form much more accurately. Doesnt allow you to hold on and essentially hop.

Picked up a Sears Pro-Form Crosswalk LM treadmill in working condition and an inexpensive but near new rowing machine at a local thrift store for $63 all in after my *sigh* senior discount. A little maintenance and the treadmill will be like new I think. Made in USA it's that old, lol. Probably still hit the gym when I can, but for me, when the tiny bit of motivation hits, I need to have zero available excuses to move.

The beauty of a home treadmill is, it's just right here. No getting ready to go, no worries when the wind chill is -40, or the driveway is stuffed with snow (both last week). No need to drive anywhere or put up with annoying people.

As far as leaning on the machine... Being 'relatively old', I'm concerned about my balance. I have a couple nylon ropes suspended from the ceiling. One in each hand...loose enough not to take any weight off, but minimal slack to catch any potential imbalance and save a fall. Only my feet touch the machine. Works for me OK. YMMV...

JIm

Back