Thinking about a Reel Lawn Mower

Reel mowers aren’t all manual.
I suppose with enough creativity that a manual reel mower can be converted to gas power.

tZuN-dfXmSjiqc4ucv2JNZuFUTa5JEdZ0g.jpg

There is always this method to consider @Mtns2Skies .

I always wanted to try that, just to see if it's as hard as it looks. I recon it's gotta be fairly tall grass.

Used a swing blade a bunch....similar but it seems much less efficient...but in the right conditions it'll do a passable job of cutting the lawn

The comments are must-read for that scythe video on youtube.

It was a sleeper of a video for a couple of years, and then somehow, it suddenly gets many millions of views. And everyone posts that they cannot believe that they’re watching it.

I've had all of the ones mentioned, we liked the real mower in our tiny suburban back yard in CA, now have a corded electric for our tiny lawn at a lake house. I didn't find the cord too much of a hassle, just have to figure out the pattern so you always leave it behind you on the cut side. Now I have 14 acres and a turf runway, so 72" commercial mower and 42" lawn tractor.

Exposed ag concrete with a green tint. That was my solution to 'landscaping' postage stamp green strips in front of new pumping stations. County fought me tooth and nail but the operators loved me.

I had one and more than once had to weed whip the whole lawn cuz it got too long... then mow it after the hack job... buy cheap pusher, when it goes bad get another...

Important part of reel mowers is to keep them sharp and adjusted.
They cut ,rather than tear as rotary mowers.
The cut edges look better then torn edges. Torn edges brown.
And that's why golf courses use reel mowers.
When we moved to town in the 40's We had electricity and the house came with an electric reel mower that was self propelled. After a couple runaways dad took the driving gears out .:(

Back