Thinking about a Moped

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I want one but not the modern vespa equivalent.
I want one like the cool kids had in the 80s where you can pedal or kick it into overdrive.

My town is small but it is starting to boom and we are about to have lot of little local businesses around.

I think costwise a moped would be a cheap way to get around and also offer some exercise benefit if I chose to pedal.

I haven't figured out how to handle the constant attraction from the females in the neighborhood but I can cross that bridge when I get to it (On my moped)

Anyway, does anyone here have any moped experience they are willing to admit to publicly? HTey always looked fun to me.

Pedal types are pretty much gone from the landscape. If you want to double up your fun, I can recommend a DiBlasi fold-up. Not really a 'moped' per-se because of course you can't pedal them. It folds into a carry case that you can toss in the plane so you have ground transport at the rural places you go. Can also be used around town for cheap transpo.

Used to be made in Italy, and they are rather pricey but the early one's were well made. I had one a few years ago, and like a dork I sold it, now I want another one.

http://www.diblasi.com/home.htm

Are you referring to designs like this? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/5180261557.html

00000_ipLli48QfE4_600x450.jpg

I've got a Yamaha Zuma 2 stroke with a 70cc kit on it.. Does about 55mph with the 70 kit, 35-40 stock (but it takes a long time to get that fast stock). I think its more fun than a motorcycle in town. Underseat storage bin holds two six packs, and has a drain plug in the bottom if you put ice in with those six packs :D It does have a big rear seat and rear seat footrests if its legal to ride two on a moped in your state too.

Riding a moped is like dating a fat girl, it's a lot of fun until your friends see you! :yes::yes:

I was wondering the the voice of reason would speak up!

(*waves at Eren* We haven't seen you in a while... did you enjoy the cruise?)

Hey there. Yes, it was so fun. But then coming home to work piled up and a sick kid means there hasn't been much time for being online. Apparently I need to check in more often, before my husband tries to accumulate even more modes of transportation.

I had a moped, in like 1985. It was a Puch or something like that. Later replace with a early Tomos. It was well equipped with oil injection, a two speed automatic transmission, and turn signals.

And on both, the pedals were next to useless really, just to meet the DOT requirements for a powered bicycle. The Tomos had a kick start, were if you kicked the pedal in reverse, it turned the engine. It was pretty sweet.

I lived out in the country, and wheels meant freedom.

Hey there. Yes, it was so fun. But then coming home to work piled up and a sick kid means there hasn't been much time for being online. Apparently I need to check in more often, before my husband tries to accumulate even more modes of transportation.

It's called 'cylinder count'. So far, he's a piker. ;)

Adding one 49cc cylinder to his count isn't going to help much either. As he referred in his first post, rather a knock to the man-berries. He needs a couple big honkin V8s to catch up.

Meh, I'd rather have a bit more versatility by getting a motorcycle. A nice Virago or other small CC bike will at least afford the ability to cruise at highway speeds if desired. I've seen a handful of guys on Yamaha Zumas (or similar) on the highway trying to merge with 65mph traffic and it's downright scary. If it were something like an island environment with very little chance/need to over go over 50mph, then I suppose it would be okay, but I'd still rather have a nice 300-400CC full size bike.

Now, me personally, I'd want to have more thrills available on the bike, so a 600-1,000CC is more my style, regardless of distance traveled.

How will this affect the pH of your vagina?

Meh, I'd rather have a bit more versatility by getting a motorcycle. A nice Virago or other small CC bike will at least afford the ability to cruise at highway speeds if desired. I've seen a handful of guys on Yamaha Zumas (or similar) on the highway trying to merge with 65mph traffic and it's downright scary. If it were something like an island environment with very little chance/need to over go over 50mph, then I suppose it would be okay, but I'd still rather have a nice 300-400CC full size bike.

Now, me personally, I'd want to have more thrills available on the bike, so a 600-1,000CC is more my style, regardless of distance traveled.

150cc 4stroke is enough and legal to go on the highway in many places in the country. Stock they top out around 65 and easily can be modified to go to 70-75

250/300cc is more than enough for any highway in the country. Scooter or MC.

MC and Scooters both have their use. I have both(no mopeds), and MC is NOT always better(even for long distance highway riding) and IS almost always more expensive to operate(and to purchase usually).

I use MC(1000cc) for fun, I use scooter for commute and running errands. Commuting on my MC is just a waste of tires.

As far as OP... forget mopeds. Get a modern 150cc scooter Girls love them!... 2-3K new(for good quality ones), 65mph stock, ~80-90mpg, nearly no maintenance(10$ oil change; belt and tires about all you ever have to do).

Edit: I have 5 vehicles at home. 2 cars(one is very nice), 2 MCs and a scooter... guess which my wife prefers as a passenger.

Last edited:
150cc 4stroke is enough and legal to go on the highway in many places in the country. Stock they top out around 65 and easily can be modified to go to 70-75

250/300cc is more than enough for any highway in the country. Scooter or MC.

MC and Scooters both have their use. I have both(no mopeds), and MC is NOT always better(even for long distance highway riding) and IS almost always more expensive to operate(and to purchase usually).

I use MC(1000cc) for fun, I use scooter for commute and running errands. Commuting on my MC is just a waste of tires.

As far as OP... forget mopeds. Get a modern 150cc scooter Girls love them!... 2-3K new, 65mph stock, ~80-90mpg, nearly no maintenance(10$ oil change; belt and tires about all you ever have to do).

I agree. When I'm overseas I ride a Honda Wave (125 cc) which is more than adequate for the roads and traffic. And it's fun to ride. My Concours C14 is just a chore to ride for short trips and in traffic.

I'd love to have another Vespa P200E or a Lambretta to relive my Mod days... High School, early 80's, clove cigarettes... what could be better?

I agree. When I'm overseas I ride a Honda Wave (125 cc) which is more than adequate for the roads and traffic. And it's fun to ride. My Concours C14 is just a chore to ride for short trips and in traffic.

Yep. I just got a Honda PCX 150 and I can honestly say that I'm enjoying it more than my ducati at this time. Probably because it's new, but it is a hoot. I should have bought one years ago, but I always thought of them as stupid.

My commute is about 13 miles, 10 of which are on 55-60mph highway. I'm usually faster than 70% of cars in no traffic and nearly all cars when there is traffic...

p.s. Zumas(49cc) are not highway legal, btw...

Well, no doubt the Concours is a chore for a short trip, it's a heavy bike. That's why I was recommending some thing much smaller (like a Virago 250, SR400) or dozens of other beginner motorcycles. Not as light as a scooter/moped by any means, but still easy to flip around and cheap as can be on the used market.

This one fits nicely into most planes.

triad-750-electric-scooter-for-adults-pink.jpg

Well, no doubt the Concours is a chore for a short trip, it's a heavy bike. That's why I was recommending some thing much smaller (like a Virago 250, SR400) or dozens of other beginner motorcycles. Not as light as a scooter/moped by any means, but still easy to flip around and cheap as can be on the used market.

Yeah I'm thinking about picking up an SV650 for commuting (I have a 40 mile one way freeway commute). Or maybe even something a bit smaller.

Brian, if you want to tinker and repair, I frequently see scooters at the insurance auctions, many just need body work.

Yeah I'm thinking about picking up an SV650 for commuting (I have a 40 mile one way freeway commute). Or maybe even something a bit smaller.

I haven't ridden the SV650, but I have heard nothing but great things about them. Docile and tamed enough to be used as a novice bike, enough power and flick-ability for seasoned riders to have fun on.

Hardest thing with those is getting the blood stains off.

Not so. I have gotten two of them in the last few years for folks that wanted something to build. No blood evidence on either one.

I haven't ridden the SV650, but I have heard nothing but great things about them. Docile and tamed enough to be used as a novice bike, enough power and flick-ability for seasoned riders to have fun on.

They are a blast to ride, and you can swap the straight forks with GSXR inverted forks. I used to track my GSXR 750, and there were a lot of very fast riders on SV's.

Forget the second wheel... what he really needs is a Mobbo

Attachments

• mobbo-uniciclo-electrico.jpg
    mobbo-uniciclo-electrico.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 25

That's exactly what I commute on nearly every day year round. I put almost 600 miles on it since this time last year. 1978 Motobecane Mobylette.

Milk crate on the back holds a case of beer. (or groceries)
150+mpg. I top off the gallon tank every month or so.
Does 30 around town, 15 minutes to get to the airport from my house.
No M endorsement need, though I have one anyway for the bigger bikes.
Toss it in the back of my truck for easy one man rafting shuttle setup.

No you don't look very cool ripping around town on it. But I don't look very cool anyway.

round here....the drunks love em. :yes:

After a couple of DUIs and no DL...they turn to mopeds and scooters.:goofy:

Aprilia Scarabeo - 16" wheels. When out and about with Teresa on her Vespa she has to constantly rein me in : "keep it below 50!"
Scooters and motorcycles are NOT interchangeable in mission! The step thru of a scooter is its convenience factor.
Just have to keep reminding myself when coming to a stop: "that left lever is NOT the clutch, dumbazz!"
Image from http://www.bikez.com/pictures/aprilia/2007/scarabeo 125.jpg.

I have been monitoring the feeds on this design. Jonesing to try one someday.

http://rideonewheel.com/

We've been using these a bunch around here as a surf shuttle/access vehicle. Hadn't really thought about it but it would be great in the airplane. 7 mile range and 20 minute recharge time.
Super intuitive to use and far more stable than some of the other forward facing designs.

And this chick looks like she's having a good time...

K37A4853-cp-1000px.jpg

Back