Thinking about a dual sport/adventure Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ted, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I wish that color scheme was available. Truthfully I’m not a huge fan of any of the color schemes they have this year, but the ice grey was ultimately the one I liked the most. Once I find some proper decals to add I think that will improve the look.

2. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I plan on riding the GSA through the winter. Just saying. ;)

Oh, and BMW just announced 2.99% factory financing on leftover 2022s.

Daleandee and TCABM like this.
  3. TCABM

TCABM En-Route

Display name:
    3G
    Tempting.

Daleandee and Ted like this.
  4. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    A lot of 2022s are “missing” certain features. Dynamic ESA (electronic suspension), in some cases LED headlight or at least adaptive headlight. Mine has no adaptive headlight or D-ESA. I’m happy with that - the cost reflects that and I’d prefer Ohlins suspension. But for many those are non-starters, hence the now over supply (plus economic worries, etc).

Some really good deals to be had.

TCABM likes this.
  5. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    Had the GoPro my wife got me for Christmas on my helmet the other day while following one of my daughters around. I was on the R1150GS and she was riding the TTR50. If you want to laugh at me, a good opportunity :)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-duNmu2S6-I

6. charheep

charheep Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    charheep
    At least its now broken in with you falling like that.

7. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    This is the old R1150GS. It's been dropped many times.

The new R1250GSA is still drop and scratch-free. For now.

charheep likes this.
  8. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    The best part is that you saw what she did, and then didn't compensate quite enough to keep you upright, lol. Looks like fun!

TCABM and Ted like this.
  9. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    It was a combination of seeing her do that and then laughing/enjoying what she managed, and so I wasn't thinking about my own riding. :)

And those tires are getting pretty worn.

SoonerAviator likes this.
  10. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Well, that, and the center of gravity being a little different as well. She powered out of it like a champ.

Ted likes this.
  11. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I've had my new R1250GSA for exactly a month now and have just over 400 miles on it (which means I've put a bit over 300 miles on it). Considering being out of town for 10 days and it being winter (and the fact that I just generally don't drive very much these days) that's not too bad. Unless the weather turns truly awful I should hit the 600 mile service sometime this month.

I'm really enjoying the motorcycle. When compared to the old 1150, it is definitely and obviously a superior machine, although I have the 1150 so well sorted and customized to my liking that I am still able to do more with it. The 1250 is faster, has much better fuel economy, is better balanced, etc. But it also has much more road oriented tires. When these tires wear out I may put something more off road oriented on, or I may not. The ergonomics are different than the 1150 for off road, and I'm finding the position references (seat, tank, etc.) differ with the 1250 when standing up riding.

There hasn't been much customizing I've done yet. The bike came with the BMW Nav mount and I got an iPhone adapter for that. I put the bike on a bit of a diet, removing the center stand and then the pannier rack mounts since I don't intend to run panniers, at least not on a day-to-day basis. I think the bike looks cleaner and it saved something around 10-12 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've thought about deleting the passenger seat and luggage rack, and replacing them with a purpose built parcel shelf. For now, this works fine and although I haven't had a passenger on it yet, I expect I will at some point, so I'm waiting for the time being.

I asked for (and received) a discounted GRmoto muffler to throw onto the bike and review. I haven't put it on yet, since I need the time to do a good review. But the stock muffler is too quiet for my liking. There is still a level of engine noise when you get on the throttle, but this bike has a good exhaust note. The stock muffler is bulky, heavy, and unsightly as well as being too quiet. The GRmoto muffler claims a >7 lb weight savings, so getting me close to 20 lbs removed.

I did get both a heated vest and heated pant liners (Hotwired brand) and have some heated gloves coming as well (same brand) which have done a lot for helping sustained comfort in cooler riding temps as I intend to keep riding it over the winter.

No regrets. A fantastic machine.

FormerHangie and 23103a like this.
  12. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I finally got around to installing the GRmoto exhaust today. I haven't gotten to ride it yet, but a before picture and a couple of after pictures. Note that I also removed the passenger pegs while doing this. Total weight reduction today, a hair over 9 lbs (the passenger pegs were about 2.5 lbs total - heavy things).

With stock muffler:

upload_2023-1-22_21-38-36.png

With the GRmoto muffler:

upload_2023-1-22_21-39-9.png

upload_2023-1-22_21-39-21.png

From the side, I'm still thinking about what I think of it. I like the rear view - it's clean and tight. I think from the side view the extension pipe they add makes it look a bit off, but I'm still digesting. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride it tomorrow and see how it sounds on the road.

TCABM and cowman like this.
  13. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Looks good! I assume you’re not going to be using the bike for any touring in the near future?

14. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I have some trips I'd like to do this year on the bike. However I've also had trips that I'd like to do the past couple of years, and they never end up happening. If I had to guess, that'll keep happening, but going to hopefully get to do some this year.

I actually still like some level of exhaust noise while touring, and the goal is an exhaust at a volume where it's what I can deal with on trips as well as local/around town. However I am not selling the stock exhaust and it takes all of about 5 minutes to swap if I want to, so I can always do that.

One thing that's interesting with how they did this with the adapter pipe is that the exhaust exits in more or less the stock location. This is good for people who have panniers (which I'm not planning on putting on, even when I do trips). On my R1150GS the exhaust I put on is much more stubby/sporty and would not work well with panniers as the exit is too close behind where the rider sits and the heat could cause issues.

Bill likes this.