Thinking about a dual sport/adventure Motorcycle

As requested, the GS Trophy Qualifier write-up.

One week ago today I left home to ride the 940ish miles down to South Carolina, see the above post. I didn't sleep well the night before the qualifier started, even though Thursday was supposed to be registration and then "challenge 1" which involved no riding. There was a combination of anxiousness and anxiety over what was to come, both not knowing what it would be and questioning my abilities to do the challenges I'd be faced with (and also knowing I could "nope" out of anything).

Thursday the registration started around 12:30. My friend who went down there with me and I got breakfast before heading over. It was the longest morning I'd had in a while. First I woke up way too early, but there's nothing that feels quite so long as waiting around for something you know is coming, and not much you can do in the meantime. I did some work, walked on the treadmill in the hotel (that was nice after spending 2 days on the bike), had a couple of phone calls. Everyone I talked to agreed, it was a really, really long morning.

I'd been to the BMW Performance Center a couple of times already so I was familiar with both where it was and the location where we were going to be meeting. We had to stay outside of the main building because as a group of 72 off-road motorcyclists, they didn't want us tracking mud everywhere. Fair logic, nobody complained. We got our own area with our reserved parking spots for the riders and a large tent where all the meals and gatherings were held, plus lots of other parking. BMW really does a good job with their events. They had coolers filled with ice and drinks (water, soda, Gatorade, iced tea) for everyone to grab from, and their in-house catering is very good. We were treated to delicious meals and snacks. Nothing supremely fancy, but the food there doesn't disappoint.

During the 2 hours of registration we got our jerseys, number stickers for the bike (these are important to identify who's who when doing the competitions) and some other swag. As an introvert who normally in a crowd of new people will find a corner to hide in, I was walking up and introducing myself to pretty much everyone I came across, and reconnecting with people I'd met either from the previous GS Trophy course a few weeks prior or from other events. The stress started to wane a bit, although still not knowing what was coming up was somewhat nerve-wracking.

The first exercise on Thursday was a team building exercise, actually something we'd done during the prep course, where we had to move a motorcycle across a pair of logs using only a certain number of 2x4s. It was an elimination exercise with 3 rounds, and each round those who'd advanced got mixed up into different teams. My various teams made it to the final, and then we had to do a tiebreaker because the team we were up against we tied with, the times were within milliseconds. We lost the tiebreaker, but it was still a lot of fun. That exercise resulted in some extra points for those on the winning team. It wasn't about riding, but it was about working as a team, and it was fun to meet others. Dinner went after dark and then we had under 12 hours to go back to our relative hotels or campsites, sleep, and return for breakfast.

Friday morning we arrived before the sun was up for breakfast and were divided up into our teams. With 72 competitors there were 18 teams of 4 to go around to 20 different challenges. We ended up doing 13 challenges on Friday and the remainder on Saturday.

You get no preview of what the challenges are, and in fact were specifically told not to share details of any of the challenges with others. As you'd imagine some people followed this better than others, and at a certain point we all got banned from having phones out because people were recording challenges and posting them on Instagram, which other competitors could then see and get a leg up. I don't know how much of that went on, and how much that really could've helped anyway.

The first challenge that we showed up at was a doozy, and one of the three really hard ones that people "nope"d out of the most. It's hard to describe in detail, but you started off riding up 5 steps made out of railroad ties, with a concrete culvert pipe on the other side going longways. No ramp to the steps, you just had to loft the front wheel enough to get started going up it. So it was very important to center your climb (or just go fast enough to jump over the entire thing) so that you didn't land poorly on the concrete pipe and go off the side.

I considered whether I should attempt this or not, but I figured I didn't come all this way to chicken out on the first obstacle, and did a send it. Going up the steps went very well and I was happy with how that went (and it also looked good according to others watching). But, I was not centered and went off the side of the pipe. The bike fell out from under me to the left and I went over it. Fortunately, despite it looking much worse than the fall where I broke my wrist, the only thing damaged was my skid plate and my rear brake pedal. I picked the bike back up, bent it back some, and decided I was done with the rest of the challenge, which then involved a steep hill going up a rut, over it and down/over some telephone poles, and then doing some sharp turns, back up a hill, down another hill. I'm explaining it poorly, but the point is this was a doozy of a course for the first one.

We went on from there and the courses actually mostly got easier until the end of the day, but nothing was easy. Everything was a significant challenge with a twist to make it even harder. Really steep hill with big rocks that were slippery and you couldn't get traction on? Now add in a cone weave you have to do with it. Deep water crossing? Back and forth to get within a few feet of cones. Crossing dirt piles (they call them camel humps)? Stupid sharp turn right at the bottom that you need to do a brake slide to make. Tight cone courses? Extremely tight, designed to be at the very limit of what the bike could do. Crossing more concrete pipes (smaller, only about a foot in diameter)? Add in a cone weave you have to do with those, then follow it up with deep gravel and a cone weave. Sand pit? Cone weave. Every course was set up so it was really easy to come away with 0 points from it.

By the end of the day on Friday we got to the other two really hard courses - a very steep dirt hill climb with an immediate left turn, and another one that was a steep climb followed by an immediate right, another immediate left U-turn, crossing a rock river (with big boulders), and another U-turn. The latter one was called "The Australian Terror" after the 5-time national motocross champion who designed it. Those two I "nope"d out of. Although I wanted to do them both, as tired as I was by then and how I was feeling about my abilities (not exactly 100%) left me thinking it was best to not do those.

It was extremely hard, as you'd expect. I have no idea how many points I got, since I didn't make it to the semi-finals. But I definitely was not close to making it to the semi-finals, I also know there were people who did worse than I did or "nope"d out of more courses.

The top 16 men and 5 women when the 20 challenges were done (lunchtime Saturday) moved onto the semi finals, which included that first course that I started on as part of it, but with additional twists. One of the semi-finalists had a perfectly clean run (well, -1 point, but that's effectively perfectly clean) and from there you had a couple who were close and it went downhill from there. The top 6 men and 4 women went to the finals.

The final course was actually all in a big dirt lot, but essentially amounted to a combination of some precise cone work and also some power/brake slides and elephant turns, plus trial stops on a cone. It was a hard course and not a single rider had a clean run at the end of it, speaking both to the challenge of the course and also to the fatigue everyone was experiencing after 2 hard days.

To my eye, there were no bad choices in the finalists. Any of the three were good and could've made the team. But in the end they had to eliminate some, and the team was announced. Unfortunately one of the men who I really wanted to see make the team didn't, he came in 4th place with the top 3 being selected. But, that's how a competition works. We all enjoyed a well-deserved dinner and then went back to our hotels to make our way home the next day, except for those who decided to stay and do "Redemption Sunday", an opportunity to go over the courses again with instruction. I might've wanted to do that but I had to get home so my wife could go back to work today, and not being back to 100% yet post-surgery I didn't see as much of a point. I still have a lot I can do here on my property and locally before I do something like that.

Sunday and Monday I rode the 940ish miles back home. It was a much calmer ride mentally than the ride out, and I spent a lot of time thinking about the qualifier and the path over the past years that got me there. (my post is too long apparently, so see the next post for the rest)

Attachments

• 1697594464798.png
    1697594464798.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 1697594489516.png
    1697594489516.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
2.5 years ago I’d never ridden a motorcycle off pavement. I got the old R1150GS from a friend and started, mostly around my property (this thread started June 2021, for time reference

1.5 years ago (April 2022) I took a 2-day on/off road course at the BMW Rider Academy in South Carolina and shortly thereafter decided I wanted to compete in the GS Trophy qualifier. I continued my training, and made changes in my diet and exercise to get in better shape as part of that

3 months ago yesterday I broke my wrist while riding, practicing for the qualifier and thought I was most likely going to have to bow out of the qualifier and the prep course. I lost 6 weeks of riding. When I started riding I was still limited in what I could do, and I'm still not back up to my pre-break capabilities on a bike

3 weeks ago I went back to South Carolina for the GS Trophy prep course after only 3 weeks of riding post-break, with only a couple hours of light off roading riding. It was the hardest I've ever been challenged operating any motor vehicle, period. Car, bus, airplane, the MU-2 initial training was orders of magnitude easier.

1 week ago today I loaded up my R1250GSA and rode 940 miles down to South Carolina for the qualifier, still not back to full strength or endurance, and having not done a motorcycle trip close to this long in 15 years

And yesterday, exactly 3 months after breaking my wrist, I arrived back home after competing. I may not have placed high enough to make the semi finals (nor did I expect to), but I did things that 3 years ago I didn’t think I’d ever be able to do on a motorcycle. I am a far better rider than I was 2.5 years ago, and the most comfortable on a motorcycle that I have ever been in close to 20 years of riding and in the best physical shape of my life.

The qualifier itself was an amazing experience, but so was everything leading up to it (ok I could've done without the wrist break). I fully plan to be back in 2 years, and now I have a plan and a path for what I want to do between now and then. I don't expect to be good enough to make the team, and at this point I don't even necessarily care about making the semi-finals, I just want to go for the experience and do the best I can. Given that one of the members of the 2024 US team is 57, that gives me hope I've got a lot more years I can potentially still do this. In the end my bike and I were both reusable, with the bike needing a new rear brake lever and a new rear left turn signal (might be repairable, I'll see) but otherwise just fine. I'll take that, and the number of courses I completed.

And yes, I plan on building stairs out of railroad ties to climb over with my bike.

I recorded most of the courses on my GoPro and I have to edit that footage to put up on my YouTube channel. I'll post it when I'm done.

View attachment 121561

View attachment 121562

I bet, despite opting out of a few of the obstacles, that the whole experience was extremely beneficial to your knowledge of what to expect for next time, as well as quelling some of that anxiety about "the unknown". In the off years you'll be able to really push your skills a good bit now that you have seen the type of obstacles and general concept of the tryouts. Kudos to you for continuing with the event, despite very good reasons to toss in the towel.

Reactions: Ted
I bet, despite opting out of a few of the obstacles, that the whole experience was extremely beneficial to your knowledge of what to expect for next time, as well as quelling some of that anxiety about "the unknown". In the off years you'll be able to really push your skills a good bit now that you have seen the type of obstacles and general concept of the tryouts. Kudos to you for continuing with the event, despite very good reasons to toss in the towel.

Thank you, and I agree with everything you said. When I was doing the prep course I was really debating dropping out. The lead instructor at BMW encouraged me to still come. His point was that even if I don't complete anything, it will give me a really good handle on what I need to work on for 2 years from now. This is also the man who tells certain people "This isn't for you" and has to have that conversation because he doesn't want anyone getting hurt. At the prep class he told us all "I know many of you are questioning your abilities, but I'll tell you that there's nobody in here who I'm seeing who outright can't do this. You all can." He was 100% correct. I didn't sleep well heading down there and for the first night of the event, largely due to being anxious over what was to come. Now I know the obstacles will be different next time, but I have a rough idea of how they do things. I left the event pumped and enthused for my training that is to come, and excited for my successes and failures.

I also should point out how supportive my wife is. When I was telling her I wasn't sure if I should come to the event, she told me I was going. Not that I should go, that I was going. "You worked too hard to back out now."

My best friend from grade school who was both at the prep course and then the qualifier was also questioning whether to go. I told him "Laurie says I'm going, so that means you're going too. End of story."

We both left exceedingly glad we went, and we both would've been very disappointed in ourselves if we've backed out of it. And even though I fell off the concrete culvert pipe, I feel very enthused about how well going up the railroad tie steps went. I've left knowing that these are all things I can do, just that I can't do them today.

My GS Participation Trophy :)

1697680243625.jpeg

I also have the reserved parking sign and the competitor number stickers. Silly as it is, I'm proud of those.

Today I was already back at it, practicing to get better. I took the old R1150GS out, which I haven't ridden since before breaking my wrist (well, other than yesterday when I used it to bring the empty garbage cans back from the end of the driveway). Once I was able to get back to riding I focused all of my riding on the 1250 since that's what I was going to take to the qualifier, and I wanted to be as proficient on that as possible.

I think I'm going to go back to using the 1150 as the beater bike to keep on working on perfecting some of these skills on. Today I worked on tightening up my turns more in the driveway, brake slides, power slides, and lofting over a 4x4 (or 6x6, I forget which it is) piece of wood. The 1150 compared to the 1250 has a more abrupt throttle on initial application which actually works well for lofting, and helps get more air.

I'll keep at it. After all, I've only got 2 years to try to get good enough to maybe make semi finals. :)

Dude, you do more in a year than most people do in a lifetime.

Don’t stop!

No plans to. :)

Let's assume there's about 700 days until the next qualifier. My goal is to get some time riding as many days as possible between now and then, and incorporating as many skill elements as I can into those riding days.

I do need to get some supplies to make more obstacles to focus on skills. The balance beam is an important one (and for that what I really need is a beam affixed to the ground - or maybe some concrete parking lot stops) for practicing precision. Lofting over obstacles and a staircase are two others that I need. When I look at the individual building block skills that really need focus, most of them are things anyone can do in their driveway or in a small piece of yard. Trial stops, slow race, brake turns (locking the rear wheel), power slides... eventually I'll get to elephant turns but that requires some looser terrain. And just basic tight turns with the bars at full lock.

One thing that I do need to do is get more used to seated tight turns rather than counterbalancing with my body. You do the latter off road, but at least at the trophy, you have to do on-road/paved riding seated. From there, add cones and keep on trying to get them tighter still.

We don't have hills in Kansas, those are hard to practice. But there's a lot of stuff we can do that's not hills.

I've been trying to get at least half an our of riding in every day, including on the days when I'm feeling tired and pretty worn out. I know on those days I may not perform as well, but if I'm training towards the next GS Trophy qualifier, the reality is that's all effectively all done while tired and not fully rested. I've been pretty successful at it and have only missed a few days since getting back home not quite 2 weeks ago, most of it being on the R1150GS since that's a good beater. It's also a bit harder to ride (despite being lighter weight) and so I think makes for overall better training.

I haven't built any obstacles around my property, but I have been trying to focus on tight turns, brake turns, power slides, elephant turns, slow riding/trial stops, and also lofting over a railroad tie loose in the back yard, and also one-handed riding and turns. With the tight turns, the real goal is getting to full lock on the handlebars and staying there, and adding in leaning, specifically doing that seated since that's a requirement for the paved portions at the qualifier. This was also an area that I didn't do as well in as I should've, since basically all of my tight turning practice was still standing on the pegs.

The improvements are slow, not necessarily any breakthroughs, but they're noticeable. Perhaps what's most noticeable to me is comparing my riding skill now to 1-2 years ago. My bad days now I can still say I'm riding better than my good days back then. When I see that, I know that I'm improving, and that with another 2 years that will only continue if I continue to work at it.

Power and brake slides are something that I can do, but I don't get very much rotation out of consistently. I'm generally getting around 60 degrees rather than a desired 90 (or more), but I'll get the occasional 90. I'm getting better at it with body position, and the recent rain that's turned my back yard into a mud pit has made some of that easier since the slippery mud reduces how aggressive you need to be to get rotation out of the bike. But what's more is that it's helped me figure out some of the things I've been doing wrong or need to improve on. The mud is also good for a few other exercises I've been doing to help gain comfort off road.

A few days ago I got my first successful elephant turn of any amount. Up until then I've only ever succeeded in getting the back wheel to tear up the grass. But I managed to get a couple of 90 degree rotation turns, and yesterday managed another couple 90 degree elephant turns.

Plenty of bike drops, plenty of pick-ups. I'll keep at it...

I just did the first valve check on my 2017 Africa Twin. What a pain. Things are so tight its hard to get to stuff to remove. And lots of stuff to remove, just to get to the valve cover. And everything must come off in order and go back on in order, but the manual really is lacking in that department. I guess I have to also admit that at my age, I'm not the maechanic I once was. So it was a miserable job. The intake valves are bucket with shims and the exhaust are tappits. The #1 cylinder exhaust were tight, but all the others were well in spec. So that was good. I need tires, so maybe I'll get that in the next few days. After that all the vehicles are ready for winter.

Easy maintenance is a very big plus. My DRZ400 is easy, the old WeeStrom wasn't bad. This one sucks. The first one of any job is always more difficult. But I certainly won't remember the tricks by the time It needs it again.

I just did the first valve check on my 2017 Africa Twin. What a pain. Things are so tight its hard to get to stuff to remove. And lots of stuff to remove, just to get to the valve cover. And everything must come off in order and go back on in order, but the manual really is lacking in that department. I guess I have to also admit that at my age, I'm not the maechanic I once was. So it was a miserable job. The intake valves are bucket with shims and the exhaust are tappits. The #1 cylinder exhaust were tight, but all the others were well in spec. So that was good. I need tires, so maybe I'll get that in the next few days. After that all the vehicles are ready for winter.

You should see @jesse 's Goldwing Air filter job.

@Bill is going to be in for this himself.

Yes, it’s a known “fun” job, probably a full day of work. I just replaced the rear shock on the GS with the Tractive remote reservoir sprung/valved for my weight and riding style.

I need to go for a ride and run the gas out before replacing the front. All of the front plastic, the gas tank, and the airbox has to come out to gain access. Even then I hear it’s a curse worthy job.

Yes, it’s a known “fun” job, probably a full day of work. I just replaced the rear shock on the GS with the Tractive remote reservoir sprung/valved for my weight and riding style.

I need to go for a ride and run the gas out before replacing the front. All of the front plastic, the gas tank, and the airbox has to come out to gain access. Even then I hear it’s a curse worthy job.
It cannot truly be appreciated until you do it yourself. A million little hidden plastic fasteners need to be delt with & you have to pull like hell on some of the panels to get them released.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I've put 15,000 miles on it since buying it in July.

Last edited:
It cannot truly be appreciated until you do it yourself. A million little hidden plastic fasteners need to be delt with & you have to pull like hell on some of the panels to get them released.

View attachment 122317
View attachment 122318

I've put 15,000 miles on it since buying it in July.

Not looking forward to it, but will deal with it when the time comes, we have 12kmi on the bike now. How do you like the DCT? I really like it for this type of bike.

I'm in need of new tires. the front will last a bit longer, but the rear is toast. The Africa Twinn is used as intended. So it does road trips and on local rides it sees a fair amount of dirt, gravel and rocks on most rides. The last set were Mitas EO-7+. They didn;t last as long as I would have liked. Probably a lot my fault. I tend to run the pressures a bit low, and,,well there is the problem with the guy who has his hand on the right handle bar grip. I'm not seeing another tire I might prefer. One of the new EO7's have a center rib that might give it a bit more life, and doesn't look as aggressive. The lugs are not as far apart either. But the rubber compound is the key.

I'm in need of new tires. the front will last a bit longer, but the rear is toast. The Africa Twinn is used as intended. So it does road trips and on local rides it sees a fair amount of dirt, gravel and rocks on most rides. The last set were Mitas EO-7+. They didn;t last as long as I would have liked. Probably a lot my fault. I tend to run the pressures a bit low, and,,well there is the problem with the guy who has his hand on the right handle bar grip. I'm not seeing another tire I might prefer. One of the new EO7's have a center rib that might give it a bit more life, and doesn't look as aggressive. The lugs are not as far apart either. But the rubber compound is the key.

If you do off-road, I'm a big fan of the Motoz Tractionator Rallz tires. They're what I have on both of my BMWs and what my friend runs on his GSA. They last a long time mileage wise (I'm at around 4k miles on them and will probably ride them another 1-2k, my friend has gotten more).

I like the road manners fine on the GSA. A friend put them on his Triumph Tiger 1200 Rally Pro (with a 21/18 tire setup). He's not a fan of them on the street, but he's also a very fast/aggressive rider. Not sure how they'd behave on an Africa Twin.

Second the MotoZ RallZ for off-road, they grip well.

I use the Africa Twinn for its intended use. So it sees plenty of dirt, and slab. I really like to load my camping gear on it and explore. Back roads, jeep roads, great camp spots, fishing holes, etc. But getting there requires a lot of slab. I have liked the EO-7+ on it. But they wore a bit earlier than I would have liked. There is a "newer" EO7 that has closer knobs and a rib down the center. I might give that a try. All tires are 15% off right now at the local bike store. I think they are billed as a more dualsport type tire. That might fit my needs better. The center rib is a bit of a concern. The TKC70 had that. I ran a set on my WeeStrom. Worst handling tire I have ever had. They acted like they wanted to fall over on the sides, unpredictably. As they wore the front would walk in corners. I don;t know if these would suffer from the same fate.

Maybe you've mentioned already, but can you tow a motorcycle trailer behind the bus? I'm certain it would handle the weight, but it's already crazy long, and without cameras you'd never see it...and backing it up would be tricky. And you'd have to remember it was there.

Maybe you've mentioned already, but can you tow a motorcycle trailer behind the bus? I'm certain it would handle the weight, but it's already crazy long, and without cameras you'd never see it...and backing it up would be tricky. And you'd have to remember it was there.

The new bus is "only" 5' longer than the old one at 45'. Keep in mind over the summer I towed my 24' enclosed trailer behind the old bus. Yes, it will tow just fine, and it's quite common to see Prevosts with big double stacked enclosed trailers behind them. Remember:

1700056078848.png

GEEEEZ this is almost like "Whats the best oil thread".... Just get something fun, preferably bullet proof low maint and easy to sell if you don't like it. I have owned a WeeStrom, probably one of the bikes I have had the most fun with ever. But I don't think its what you want. I currently own a DRZ400. Great play bike and would fit, but doesn't have a 6th gear and a very narrow gear box. I have owned a DR350, again great bike, bullet proof, not as fun as The DRZ. I currently also own an Africa Twinn. Also probably not what you are looking for. The three big thumpers, XR,DR and KLR 650's would be a great choice, but probably not what your after. Find a good DR250/350 and you will never be sorry.

Ted gets a mention:

He left out the quote I gave him for the article of "I really ****ing suck at this" :)

I'm still trying to get some time riding a motorcycle as close to every day as possible. Some days, it's just not possible. Thanksgiving through end of year involved a lot of travel, and when I wasn't traveling there was a lot of things like working on the bus to get it ready for its inaugural trip.

When I have been riding it's often been muddy around the property, which is good practice as I continue to work on improving my tight turns, power slides, brake slides, things like that. At the end of the day, it's all balance.

And speaking of balance, we got a good amount of snow overnight, and so I spent some time riding around the property today:

1704829255225.png

1704829271818.png
'
I knew that it wasn't even worth trying to get the GSA out between its weight and the fact that the rear tire is fairly worn. The old R1150GS has the same tires (in one size narrower) but has much more tread on it, and is significantly lighter than the GSA.

However it also was clear pretty quickly that it wans't going to do well. I ended up riding it from the shop to the house and back. It's still a heavy bike, the snow is deep enough that it has more than a bit of a plowing effect (narrower tires is better), and was tall enough that larger diameter tires are better. The Motoz are probably fine tread wise, but we're still talking a 110 front and 150 rear on 19/17s with a 500ish lb bike.

So I took out the cheap Chinese dirt bike that lives in my shop. It weighs about half as much as the GS, has full on dirt knobbies, and has 21/18s. For riding around in the snow, basically everything is easier.

1704829238663.png

This wasn't the deepest snow, but it made for a good place to take pictures. I spent about half an hour riding around the property and it was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 1704829255804.png
    1704829255804.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 6
Back