Thinking about a Bus/RV

Today we got the RV out of the shop and emptied out the interior and the bays. It's a bit sad to see it empty and know that we've taken our last trip in it. While my kids have been looking forward to the new bus (and wondering why we don't have it already), they've also all had their share of sadness over this one going away after all the trips and memories. I feel the same, but the new one will be much better.

I'll be putting together a for sale video/tour, we'll see how the sale process goes.

Today we got the RV out of the shop and emptied out the interior and the bays. It's a bit sad to see it empty and know that we've taken our last trip in it. While my kids have been looking forward to the new bus (and wondering why we don't have it already), they've also all had their share of sadness over this one going away after all the trips and memories. I feel the same, but the new one will be much better.

I'll be putting together a for sale video/tour, we'll see how the sale process goes.

If our drive yesterday was any indication of demand - make sure it gets listed anywhere along I-81/I-40 from Roanoke, VA to Knoxville. TN. Good grief at the RVs of all shape, sizes, and skill of operation on that interstate yesterday!

Reactions: Ted
I posted the walk-through video of the RV:

Going through it, it's really insane how much work I've done to it. It was worth it, though, we have the pictures to prove everything it enabled us to do. Great memories, but the new bus will be the right move for us.

This one will be a great option for whoever chooses to buy it.

After making that video, are you still sure you wanna sell? Seems kinda too nice to let go.

I have had that thought taking the pictures, making the video, going through just how much work we've put into it. The way we'd looked at it was we weren't going to sell until we found "the right" bus. And, well, we found it quicker than we expected.

I am letting people on the discord server I mod for know about it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ted
I am letting people on the discord server I mod for know about it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thanks Tim!

Looks kinda small. You should look for one thats one size larger. (Isnt that how it works with boats and RV's)?

Given that 45' is the max legal length of a bus/RV anywhere and that's what this is, I'd be hard pressed to go bigger. :)

Technically I think the total height isn't quite 13'6"... but it's close.

And the photo captures it in its natural habitat, a filling station! :)

I got about 6.7-7 mpg on the drive home going 75 most of the way. But with a 208 gallon tank, I filled up once towards the start of the 1300 mile trip home and the only reason I filled up close to home was because the Kansas turnpike has cheap diesel, and I like to start off my trips with a mostly full tank. I’d only used around 2/3 of a tank.

It has an easy 1,000+ mile range. Double fist it at the pumps by pumping from both sides and it spends noticeably less time at the pumps than the old bus.

I got about 6.7-7 mpg on the drive home going 75 most of the way. But with a 208 gallon tank, I filled up once towards the start of the 1300 mile trip home and the only reason I filled up close to home was because the Kansas turnpike has cheap diesel, and I like to start off my trips with a mostly full tank. I’d only used around 2/3 of a tank.

It has an easy 1,000+ mile range. Double fist it at the pumps by pumping from both sides and it spends noticeably less time at the pumps than the old bus.

Just out of curiosity, have you run it across a scale yet? I've always wondered what those things weigh in at. I don't think you have to have a CDL to drive it if 'not for hire', right?

Just out of curiosity, have you run it across a scale yet? I've always wondered what those things weigh in at. I don't think you have to have a CDL to drive it if 'not for hire', right?

I am going to run it across a scale at some point so I know where to set the tire pressures, but the MGVW is 51,200 lbs per the placard.

CDL requirements vary by state. Most states don’t require a CDL for an RV. Kansas requires a Class B CDL.

Alright, now for more of a trip report. I've somewhat caught up on sleep.

After making the purchase agreement on the Prevost the seller needed to get some work done on it. Mostly, this had to do with installing a washer/dryer (which didn't exist previously for reasons unclear to me). While the windshield was out to get the washer and dryer in the RV, we also wanted the fridge replaced with one more to her liking than what was in there. We had a few other minor items which they (mostly) took care of and then I had to get it.

I flew out with a poor night's sleep and with not as much time or energy as I would've liked getting the bus. But things were in good condition, we took care of a few details, and off I went. I didn't get all that far before pulling over at a truck stop and calling it a night - about 200 miles or so.

The next day was the big day's worth of driving, and a new record for me in terms of RV miles at 925 in one day, another rest area, and then the remaining <200 miles home the next day. This gave me a lot of time to get to know the bus, make notes on things that I wanted to change on it or issues noted, etc.

The difference between the Prevost and the old bus is night and day, in basically every respect. I was able to set the cruise at 75 for most of the trip and keep it there without the Series 60 working particularly hard. Yes fuel economy was worse at that speed than it would've been slower, but I was trying to put miles behind me. In reality it could've done faster, but I was happy with 75. On the steepest uphill I slowed to around 50, but the bus could've done faster, I mostly was just keeping it off of max boost the whole uphill. However the temperature never budged. The cooling system worked great and kept everything right where it was supposed to be.

The winds were mostly calm, but crosswinds don't impact this bus as much as the old one, same with passing trucks going the opposite direction on a 2-lane road or drafting behind a semi. Everything is more stable, and the mental effort to drive and keep driving is much lower - hence why I was able to do 925 miles in a day. That's a lot in any vehicle, but especially in a bus. This thing just kept going.

The 208 gallon fuel tank was really nice. Normally, 400-500 miles on the old bus has me looking for fuel depending on what I'm doing and how I'm driving. Being able to fill up once in the morning and not even think about fuel for the rest of the day made the drive easier, and also reduced the time for stops significantly. My stops were only for food (which I'd grabbed some of at WalMart before hitting the road) and the bathroom (which, of course, is in the bus). Oh, and sleep. It's already apparent how much faster and more efficient the long days will be with this bus vs. the old one.

With the bus home, I've been able to make my list and go through things more. The bus lacks any solar whatsoever, which is an annoyance to me. Given that the heat is all diesel and electric water pumps, solar becomes that much more important - I should have no problems making a system that will run everything I need so long as AC isn't required. This generator is also much nicer than the one in the old RV. It holds a constant RPM regardless of load and is a lower RPM, quieter overall, no drone. The exhaust pipe does touch and rattle in one place, I have to find that and change it. The batteries are all pretty new and the house batteries are Lithium (24V/400AH, so basically double the capacity of the old bus). But the battery bay is enormous and has lots of room for growth. Quadrupling the capacity would be within the realm of possibility if I wanted to go that far. I don't, but I could. Doubling seems more worthwhile.

The air system is very leaky and wouldn't pass a DOT check. I'm going to have to go through and find and fix the areas of leakage. I doubt it will ever get 100%, but I should be able to find enough.

The driveshaft U-joints seem to be bad. There's a higher RPM vibration that's related to engine speed which starts around 55. It's worst when coasting, goes away at full throttle, and varies in between. In retrospect I did notice this on the test drive but didn't put together what it was at the time. I'll have to pull the shaft and have it serviced.

The headlights are upgraded to LEDs (a $2500 upgrade) but they were aimed completely wrong and also wired wrong (highs and lows were reversed). I got them aimed right (I think) and will then get the wiring set up properly. I'll also set things up so when the high beams go on the lows stay on. I should be able to just do that with a diode between the two relays.

Annoyingly, they replaced one of the pop out windows that was totally fogged up but not the other two that are also fogged up. Also the tag axles are seeping a little oil. Nothing too huge but it's there.

Otherwise, the list is really mostly just a bunch of small details - things that are a combination of personalization to how we want them and taking care of little things. The fresh water tank was about half full and the water was old and stunk. So we drained it, filled it with fresh water with bleach in it to kill any bacteria, let that sit and then drained it, flushed, etc. The grey tank we filed with water and Dawn and let that sit, then flushed it. Filters will need changed, etc.

The stock muffler has to go. The thing is enormous and looks very restrictive. Plus, it's too quiet. I'll probably put on the same muffler I had on my old RV - it's a 5" straight through and should be much better.

The systems on the Prevost are much different and more complicated than on the old bus. With the extra complexity comes more refinement, but also just differences that I need to work my way through fully understanding and internalizing. We've bought and ordered a ton of stuff to start working through our list of minor issues and customization.

I'll probably put the bus away in the shop this evening for the first time, the old bus will move out, and then I can start working on the technical items.

it makes your shop look small lol

I got some time to play around with the Prevost a bit, working through some minor things that we know we want changed over. Adding a shower head extender so that I can stand underneath it, new windshield wipers, and working through some various minor issues as I get to know the bus. The driver's windshield wiper stopped working on the drive. This turned out to be a simple matter of the nuts holding the wiper arms to the bus being too loose. I've got some more of those to do, little updates like putting in power outlets with USB ports to make charging easier. Now that we know how we use an RV and have our plans for the future with it, it's easier to do a lot of these things quicker. Also, AirTabs is sending me some free sets to put on the bus and the trailer (and make a video about). Even though the Prevost is much smoother and more comfortable than the old bus, I still think there's a benefit to be had.

One nice thing about this system is that I can easily fill it from my air compressor, which makes it a lot easier to look for air leaks - which I knew this thing had from my drive. There's an audible leak behind the dashboard, probably at the gauges (which I believe are mechanical). After it had sat in the driveway a couple of days it had leaned significantly to the left, indicating an air leak there. Well, yesterday whatever was leaking let loose and is now a significant audible leak. So, I'll have to find it and order some parts.

Among other things, I need to order proper jack stands and a jack for the bus now. With the old bus, I had been using the hydraulic leveling jacks (which I guess isn't recommended, but worked). No such system exists on this bus, and really proper jack stands and proper jack is the right path anyway. So, I'll get those coming and keep on whittling away at other items.

Keep on whittling away at things...

Thinking about a glass panel...

There are actually ones like that available. I'm happy with the existing instruments on it, though. I learned on steam gauges so I don't need all them new fangled electronic sextants. ;)

I got some more time to dig through the bus and get some more parts ordered, and research done. I confirmed that my tag axle driver's side airbag is what was leaking (that took a while to find). Although I couldn't find specific leaks on the others, they all are showing a level of dry rot. So, I decided to go ahead and order all 8 (1 on each steer axle wheel, 1 on each tag axle wheel, and 2 on each drive axle wheel).

Prevost is supposedly the best place to order parts for these things from, and their business model apparently includes having a robust but reasonably priced parts supply network, with good support of the equipment they produced. I really like and respect businesses that do that. I had to create an account with them by filling out a form and sending it in (felt very 1990s) but that will also give me access to the online parts and maintenance manuals for free as an owner, and I'm now registered with them as the current owner so I'll get bulletins of maintenance issues, things like that. Free shipping on orders over $150 and $10 shipping below that. I have a feeling that every order will be over $150 on this thing...

Despite having 8 airbags instead of 4, the pricing wasn't all that much higher than I recall paying from Freightliner. Less than double, that's for sure, which isn't bad at all.

I also have to up my tools. I went ahead and ordered a big electric impact gun, an appropriately sized air/hydraulic jack, and appropriately sized jack stands. No, I didn't order Harbor Freight products.

The air leak that I hear behind the dash is almost certainly either a line going to the gauge, a gauge itself, or a fitting, and I'm told the dash cap should come off fairly easily so I can get at that. Hopefully between replacing the airbags and addressing that I can get the air leaks down to a reasonable/acceptable range.

Another thing I ordered was a replacement muffler - I'm going with the same thing I had on the previous RV. Unnecessary, of course, but it'll improve flow, sound and maybe even responsiveness. And probably EGT, but (surprisingly) there's no EGT gauge on this.

More little details to work through over the weekend...

Prevost is supposedly the best place to order parts for these things from, and their business model apparently includes having a robust but reasonably priced parts supply network, with good support of the equipment they produced. I really like and respect businesses that do that. I had to create an account with them by filling out a form and sending it in (felt very 1990s) but that will also give me access to the online parts and maintenance manuals for free as an owner, and I'm now registered with them as the current owner so I'll get bulletins of maintenance issues, things like that. Free shipping on orders over $150 and $10 shipping below that.
That's amazing. I'm always surprised how reasonable parts are for my semis as compared with the farm tractors. I can only assume that's a volume thing.

I'm guessing your new bus shares a lot of parts with class 8 trucks, as opposed to your previous one which I presume was more of a medium duty chassis?

That's amazing. I'm always surprised how reasonable parts are for my semis as compared with the farm tractors. I can only assume that's a volume thing.

I'm guessing your new bus shares a lot of parts with class 8 trucks, as opposed to your previous one which I presume was more of a medium duty chassis?

You're correct my last RV was more of a medium duty chassis. I really don't know where the parts commonality/sharing ends up coming in, and how much there is. But, with 51,200 lb MGVW, the Prevost is right at around 2x the weight of the old bus. Although one could put 11R22.5s or 12R22.5s on, the drive axle has 315/80R22.5s (these were on all positions factory) and has the "365" conversion on front and tag, for 365/70R22.5s on those axles. I don't think you see those tires all that often. They are definitely quiet/highway tires and I wonder how much of the complaints people have about Prevosts getting stuck easily has to do with that as much as tire choices as anything.

There's no doubt though that I'm now dealing with something that is treated by owners who are professionals as a corporate asset. 24/7 support, readily available parts and manuals, etc. It's not treated like a toy the way RVs are.

I got to spend most of the day working on the Prevost. I don't yet have the new airbags or the jacks, and so I focused on working on things on the inside. Unfortunately not completing most of my tasks, mostly coming up with new needs for parts. As I did this I also am learning the areas where the shop who did the work/owned it before I bought it had their strengths and their weaknesses. The front has TVs, fed by/with a single AV processor. By itself not a bad setup, but the HDMI splitter was basically a literal Y cable. That doesn't work with HDMI, and so it was causing some really weird issues, including the DVD player that I bought just outright not working with it. Got a new unit coming.

The subwoofer I bought for the bedroom will be located under the bed (like what I did in the last bus - it worked very well) but there's not a good way to run an RCA wire from the audio box (similar audio box as up front) to where this will need to go. So I'm getting a wireless transceiver that will perform those duties. There's also not readily accessible power under the bed, but there is a 110V line going through there, so I'll add a box and an outlet that will splice into that.

Then I dug into the air leak behind the dash. The dash panel is supposed to come off, but it's not really removable without removing a lot of other things. I was, however, able to get it high enough to reach behind. Sure enough, I could feel air leaking off of one of the connections to the air gauges. However it wasn't the aux air gauge as I'd thought, it was the front air gauge, and was coming from right at the gauge. Those are fed with quick disconnects and hard plastic DOT air lines, with a 90 degree fitting that has a very short (I think too short) line going from the fitting to the gauge. I figured after 22 years that little hose had probably gotten a bit off as simply pushing it in more didn't fix the problem. So I took those small lines off of all three and cut new ones with some line I had leftover from the air spring generator mounts on the old bus. That fixed that leak, but I didn't get the supply line for the rear gauge tight enough, and that's leaking. I'll take it off and re-seat it properly tomorrow, and hopefully that will fix it. But, it's also pretty clear that I'll be playing a game of whack-a-mole on air leaks, and I think I'm going to try to go through different areas of the bus and just make sure everything is tightened. The old bus definitely had a simpler air system, but I do like the use of air on this for many things.

I then looked into another thing I wanted to do, which is add a wire + diode between the high beam relay and the low beam relay so that the low beams would stay on when the high beams are turned on. Even that has extra complexity, as the headlights are 12V, but the relays are driven by the main chassis 24V system. So, that's going to require another relay, and the only relays I had on hand were junk ones that I wouldn't use in anything that mattered. So, another Bosch relay on the way.

One thing I started looking at but didn't get very far with was trying to look at the settings on the inverters (this has dual 3000W Trace inverters run in parallel) to make sure they're set properly for the batteries. The shop had put in basically double the capacity worth of batteries vs. what was in there before, but switched to Lithium. Given the use of a Y cable with HDMI I'm doubting that the inverters were properly set up for working with Lithium, so I want to go in there and make sure it's set right.

Overall things are coming together well. More to work on...

And we do enjoy working on them!

I'm happy that my list on this is much shorter than my list was on the old bus, and that we're going through things fairly quickly. More issues will pop up, of course, along with more ideas for improvements. But, I'm looking forward to hopefully having less "have to do" work on this (after the initial break-in period) and having more time make progress on the other projects.

More than anything I enjoy learning new systems, and this has been a lot of fun for that.

I got a little bit more piddling done last night while I'm waiting on parts to arrive to finish up my existing open projects.

I'd found that after putting the air lines back together behind the dash that I was now getting a leak from the rear air pressure gauge (instead of the front), and it was on the supply line side of the fitting. So I tried reseating the fitting, but also reversing it as a 90 degree to see if the leak remained and moved. Sure enough, it did, indicating the fitting itself was where the leak was probably coming from in the first place. As a push-to-connect fitting, I can't just snug it down a bit more. I'm going to replace those 3 fittings.

Looking around the bus, there are a lot of these push-to-connect fittings, all of which probably have similar deteriorating O-rings internal to them that are providing some level of leakage. So, I'm likely going to go after these one area at a time. Each air spring has one for its major air line that connects to it, and so when I replace those I'll plan to put new fittings on those as well. After each successful fitting change I'll see what that does to air leakage and then reevaluate. In theory, the air system shouldn't leak at all, but in practice they all leak some amount.

I also went through the inverter settings, figuring that they were probably still set for lead acid batteries rather than for the lithium batteries that this has. I was right, they were. So I got the voltages set correctly for the batteries to make sure that they would charge correctly/properly, and hopefully hit a full charge.

The thing I've found with this bus is that good parts and pieces were put in, and the overall work performed is good quality. However it's also clear that some of the technical details are where they were lacking. These are high end lithium batteries that he put in - 8 of them that retail for $900 each - but then the inverters he didn't set properly for use with lithiums, they still had the lead acid battery settings. The HDMI Y-cable instead of a proper splitter was another one. Also, I pulled the house water filter, figuring the element needed to be replaced. I was half right - there was no filter element in there. And the burned out taillight bulbs. Out of the 20 1156 bulbs that are used in the 10 separate lights (covering turn signals, brakes, taillights, and reverse lights), 16 of them were burned out. Some of these little details are real head scratchers. But, the work that they did do they did well, better than I would've expected to. It just goes to show everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Then there was general planning for other projects and mostly waiting on things to show up. I'm hoping next week I can get the airbags changed, or at least finish up some of these other details.

Back