Thinking about a Bulldozer and/or Backhoe/Excavator

I look forward to reading about the maintenance threads.....with this heavy equipment. :D

Keep in mind that I enjoy learning about new items, which means I like fixing things that may be a pain in the ass to fix.

Once. ;)

2dqq73.jpg

check out YouTube channel "Classic Work"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8MdiUbF0lNY3naaw7gRRHQ
reminds me of my redneck upbringing

Oh that’s so funny you also know that channel. I liked when he drove a bejillion miles to get that massive piece of equipment for his shop with his old diesel and then they were trying to figure out how to crib it properly on the trailer. Definitely Ted-esque. Hahah.

I look forward to reading about the maintenance threads.....with this heavy equipment. :D

And the inevitable threads that follow:

- thinking about a crane
- thinking about a low-boy
- thinking about a(nother) over the road tractor
- thinking about Caterpillar overhaul kits
- thinking about truck bed aux tanks

And the inevitable threads that follow:

- thinking about a crane
- thinking about a low-boy
- thinking about a(nother) over the road tractor
- thinking about Caterpillar overhaul kits
- thinking about truck bed aux tanks

When I had the semi I considered keeping it and getting a proper semi trailer specifically for the reason of being able to get heavy equipment. And yes, I can tell there are certain items that I won't be able to get specifically because they'll severely overload my new trailer. However even a "small" semi trailer wouldn't have fit through my driveway, so that would've required too much extra work. I still think that the size of machine I can get in my range will work for what I want.

Paying someone to come in and do the dozer work will probably be worth the money for a one-time thing.

Keep cutting the trees and hauling them out. Then hire someone to knock all the stumps out and get the dirt level and raised for drainage. They'll knock it out quicker and probably better if you've never done it before. The rental costs of the equipment means pay the labor to shorten the time will save money. The quality work means less repair and maintenance in the future.

Save a step. Don't cut the tree down. Cut the roots on one side with the bucket edge then push the tree over, knock the dirt off the exposed roots then shove the tree away. Works good;-)

Paying someone to come in and do the dozer work will probably be worth the money for a one-time thing.

Keep cutting the trees and hauling them out. Then hire someone to knock all the stumps out and get the dirt level and raised for drainage. They'll knock it out quicker and probably better if you've never done it before. The rental costs of the equipment means pay the labor to shorten the time will save money. The quality work means less repair and maintenance in the future.

I'd say that's a fair point depending on what all we decide to do. Reality is the ground isn't in that bad of shape and some of my taildragging friends have said that as-is it doesn't even justify tundra tires.

Keep in mind though my wife wants a bulldozer.

Save a step. Don't cut the tree down. Cut the roots on one side with the bucket edge then push the tree over, knock the dirt off the exposed roots then shove the tree away. Works good;-)

The problem is that I have trees from the "7th circle of hell" (to quote @James_Dean). These aren't normal trees, they're primarily "brush" or "osage apple" (whatever) trees. They are really bushy and you have to cut a lot just to get at the damn things. So you really have to cut the things down.

The problem is that I have trees from the "7th circle of hell" (to quote @James_Dean). These aren't normal trees, they're primarily "brush" or "osage apple" (whatever) trees. They are really bushy and you have to cut a lot just to get at the damn things. So you really have to cut the things down.
Ughh, Those Osage are tough! Make great bows though.

Reactions: Ted
Ughh, Those Osage are tough! Make great bows though.

It's a combination of hedge and locust and brier and maybe hawthorn that are all intertwined. You have to get through the outer protective layer of 3" thorns before you can get to the main trunk.

Last edited:
... my wife wants a bulldozer.

Perfect! My proposals are usually met with "and where are you going to park THAT? I don't want to have to look at more 'stuff' in the back yard!" :)

Guess I need a MUCH bigger back yard!

End of discussion.

Perfect! My proposals are usually met with "and where are you going to park THAT? I don't want to have to look at more 'stuff' in the back yard!" :)

Guess I need a MUCH bigger back yard!

Pretty much. So I think we're getting a bulldozer one way or another, and I'm 100% happy with that. But realistically a backhoe is what I think we need, so we'll probably also look for one of those.

Pretty much. So I think we're getting a bulldozer one way or another, and I'm 100% happy with that. But realistically a backhoe is what I think we need, so we'll probably also look for one of those.
You can mount a backhoe on a dozer ... :)

that sounds like a mess.....:eek:

I'd rather have two machines....than a swiss army knife that does nothing well.

that sounds like a mess.....:eek:

I'd rather have two machines....than a swiss army knife that does nothing well.

I agree on that fully, and that's really how the farm is set up right now.

Massey Ferguson 165 is great for mowing and the brush hog. I suppose something shorter might technically be a bit better with the finish mower, but it's comfy and being high in the air when using the brush hog reduces shrapnel getting thrown on my legs/head.

Allis Chalmers is great for front end loading. It's only a D17 so it's not as good as it could be, but it does the job well for us.

The thought of a backhoe and a bulldozer seems like it'd also work well in my mind... especially if the bulldozer had a ripper of some sort on the back. I'm largely thinking a Case 580 variant might be the best fit if I can find one. "Right sized" and parts are never going to be an issue with how many they made.

Renting a dozer is not about saving money. Renting a dozer is about playing in the dirt for a couple of days :)

Reactions: Ted

"Come cut down some trees." he said. "It'll be fun", he said.

Those F'ing things hurt. A lot.

IMG_0014.jpg

"Come cut down some trees." he said. "It'll be fun", he said.

Those F'ing things hurt. A lot.

View attachment 64856

Hopefully you still consider me a friend...

Especially now I have a trailer big enough that I can bring my heavy equipment to your house to return the favor. ;)

here's my dirt ride...... :D but, that's gonna be in the $17,000-30,000 range.

thumbnail

Watching a few videos of bulldozers in action, I think a D4 will do what I want, but I think anything smaller than that probably won't.

Back