Thinking about a Backhoe

That's one thing I've seen come up fairly regularly on CraigsList and the idea is an interesting one. Theoretically it could be useful for the runway. That said I think I can do what I need to just fine with the bulldozer.

What I really need to do is spend more time using the equipment I have. :)

Absolutely, that is the machine for grading a runway. They are purpose-built for that job.

Ever look at just cutting the trees down and putting a stump grinder behind your tractor to take the stumps out?

Ever look at just cutting the trees down and putting a stump grinder behind your tractor to take the stumps out?

As opposed to buying another piece of heavy equipment to play with? Duh!

Reactions: Ted
Maybe the way to go is a big-ass ripper attachment for the back of your D-4. Those sumbitches pull stumps but good. It's like a giant two or three shank chisel plow. You drive over and straddle the stump, drop the shanks into the ground and the ripper pulls the stump forward and up as you move forward.
iu

Last edited:

Certainly doable. The problem that it seems with that is that then I will definitely have a lot of issues with the roots decaying over time. I'll have that anyway to some extent.

There was a debate on this initially and I decided that I wanted to get the stumps out of the ground.

Ted, I have a ‘66 Case 580CK backhoe that has been in my family for 40 years. I use it for helping maintain my small(ish) 4 acre lot that is heavily wooded. It’s truly a wonderful tool that is relatively low maintenance. It has the gas 4 cylinder and is 2wd but my dad built forks to bolt on the loader bucket years ago and it will move logs very well. I use it for snow removal on the driveway if it’s too deep for the lawnmower and plow too. If you can find a good clean one I’d recommend it. The gas engine is easy to work on and if the crank driven hydraulic pump is not leaking, it’s trouble free. The only downside is it has a mechanical clutch and if it’s bad, you have to split the tractor to replace it. Mine was done 3 years ago. Assume you will be replacing hydraulic hoses on it, and accept some seepage, but they are fantastic. I’m only going to be selling it for a newer small JD tractor and loader and my brother in law is buying it from me.

Ted, I have a ‘66 Case 580CK backhoe that has been in my family for 40 years. I use it for helping maintain my small(ish) 4 acre lot that is heavily wooded. It’s truly a wonderful tool that is relatively low maintenance. It has the gas 4 cylinder and is 2wd but my dad built forks to bolt on the loader bucket years ago and it will move logs very well. I use it for snow removal on the driveway if it’s too deep for the lawnmower and plow too. If you can find a good clean one I’d recommend it. The gas engine is easy to work on and if the crank driven hydraulic pump is not leaking, it’s trouble free. The only downside is it has a mechanical clutch and if it’s bad, you have to split the tractor to replace it. Mine was done 3 years ago. Assume you will be replacing hydraulic hoses on it, and accept some seepage, but they are fantastic. I’m only going to be selling it for a newer small JD tractor and loader and my brother in law is buying it from me.

Appreciate the PIREP there. I do feel like the 580 is "right sized" for a lot of stuff we want and need to do around the property. But, if I could get a backhoe attachment to work with my dozer... that might be even better. Of course once I do that I'm stuck with the thing if something major happens on it... which I hope never does.

If you were closer, I’d let you borrow it. It’s tremendous fun to just dig holes and see what cables/pipes you pull up...... and I’ve always wanted to play with a dozer.

That would be fun! Too bad Kansas City isn’t closer to your neck of the woods.

Back