Things you can do yourself

zbrown5

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Zach
Hi Guys-

Looking down the barrel at being a first time owner after many years of dreaming- is there a comprehensive list somewhere of things I can do myself, without a sign-off? Do I make logbook entries for this things? I know I can change oil, but what else can I (or can I not) do?

Can I replace lights with LED fixtures? Can I swap out a transponder? Etc.

Thanks

This might provide some guidance.

Attachments

• Owner Performed Aircraft Maintenance.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 50
That PDF contains at least one bit of utter nonsense.
It's an Experimental, but I didn't build it myself.
Regarding Maintenance, if you didn't build it then there is NO difference between this aircraft and a Type Certificated Aircraft.

Poppycock. Balderdash. If it's an Experimental but you didn't build it, you can do anything you bloody well please -- maintenance, repairs, modifications -- with the sole exception of the condition inspection, which requires either an A&P (no IA required) or the person who holds the repairman certificate.

The actual reference is FAR 43 App-A, para (c) items 1-31

Mike, for what it’s worth, neither article you referenced really gives the full detail of who can sign what off and why.

FAR 43 appendix A covers major alterations, repairs, and preventive maintenance. What we’re looking for out of this section is the preventive maintenance stuff.

FAR 43.3 covers who is authorized to do what.

Simply remember you can do any thing that your A&P will supervise. Find a good one. :)

That PDF contains at least one bit of utter nonsense.

Poppycock. Balderdash. If it's an Experimental but you didn't build it, you can do anything you bloody well please -- maintenance, repairs, modifications -- with the sole exception of the condition inspection, which requires either an A&P (no IA required) or the person who holds the repairman certificate.

Thank you. I was about to say. That was a big oversight by whoever wrote that. That singular point is literally the whole motivating premise of the entire experimental resale market. I cannot wait to join the ranks (if only there were more affordable 4-seater options), the canucks got it right in 1996. This certified s---t is for the birds...

Last edited:
Back