Things that make you go "hmmmm..."

BryanAV8R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
Reviewing the latest NY Sectional...and see that there is STILL the 1200' base of the Class B directly to the east of LGA:

flushingcutout.png

Take a while, I guess, to clean up the sectionals...I mean, Flushing Airport (which I flew out of exactly ONCE in the 70s) has been closed since '84.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_NY_Queens.htm#Flushing

Any reason they would keep this cutout, which was meant to handle the special traffic area of Flushing, in place (besides bureaucratic inertia?)

flushingtraffic.png

Fascinating history...and that abandoned airfields site could be (is, I've referred to it many times) a time sink...

Not knowing the words......

Interesting cartographic detritus. I wonder if more will accrue with the decommissioning of VORs. I notice some VORs (like GGT in my neighborhood) have been "pre-replaced" with GPS waypoints (GTOWN).

Not sure if this is the reason the 1200 ft cutout by LGA is still there, but the throgs helicopter route runs right through it. This is convenient because it provides additional time to call LGA and get a bravo clearance when they are busy.

Attachments

• 27998B89-1FC5-4F5C-8982-0FB7E5FF07BF.png
    27998B89-1FC5-4F5C-8982-0FB7E5FF07BF.png
    932.5 KB · Views: 28
Not sure if this is the reason the 1200 ft cutout by LGA is still there, but the throgs helicopter route runs right through it. This is convenient because it provides additional time to call LGA and get a bravo clearance when they are busy.

Speaking of that chart - how many years now has "ABCDEFG" appeared over Riker's Island on the NYC Heli chart?

Reviewing the latest NY Sectional...and see that there is STILL the 1200' base of the Class B directly to the east of LGA:

View attachment 100840

Take a while, I guess, to clean up the sectionals...I mean, Flushing Airport (which I flew out of exactly ONCE in the 70s) has been closed since '84.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_NY_Queens.htm#Flushing

Any reason they would keep this cutout, which was meant to handle the special traffic area of Flushing, in place (besides bureaucratic inertia?)

View attachment 100841

Fascinating history...and that abandoned airfields site could be (is, I've referred to it many times) a time sink...
What's the significance of the plus in +12?

Paul

What's the significance of the plus in +12?

Paul
The floor isn’t 1200. If you’re at 1200, you’re not in it. An inch higher and you are. You see it on D ceilings with a minus sign. The ceiling is not that altitude. An inch lower, you’re in it.

Last edited:
Back