Things on the Yoke

I comment wasn't meaning to imply how I thought you felt about it. It was really just stating how I feel. Not allowing any re-positioning after take off is a good rule to have. My attitude, is the need to re-position is eliminated if its not installed in the first place. But then again, my experience with an early GPS that was about the size and weight of an MRI machine kind of broke me of the desire to ever have anything on the yoke.

Gotcha. I wasn't meaning to imply anything by referring back to your post. My train of thought in my reply to it was we really don't need all those gadgets we use. But they are useful and are the norm nowadays. I was just clarifying in my response to @midlifeflyer 's post #33 that I wasn't mad at or blaming the CFI for bringing it along even though it was just a checkout flight. I'm hoping that guy might consider downsizing his. It wasn't MRI machine big, but it was the biggest thing I've ever seen any one hang on a yoke. Mostly I'm mad at myself for not anticipating what might happen when when he moved the clamp forward on the yoke tube. My bad, lesson learned

Only thing attached to my yoke is the PTT switch. And that's how it's gonna stay.

There are a good percentage of aircraft out there with various items attached to the yoke. Nothing wrong with it if done properly and continually checked for any control movement issues.

I don't like stuff on my yoke but have had to settle on an Aera 660, which just fits nicely......................and iDon't have to have iAnything.

VbNr7T.jpg

Yoke mount (RAM) and iPad mini in my Arrow. Nothing is in my way, I don’t notice it when I am flying by looking out the window, and I don’t have to mess with paper charts. IFR flying is way easy this way as I don’t have to flip through charts or approach plates. The iPad cost me 2 tanks of gas and the Foreflight subscription costs me 1 tank per year.

Gadgets are fine. CFIs who don't realize that their habits might interfere with the safe operation of the airplane are more of an issue. A friend, who is a very good CFI, has this bad habit of resting his clod hoppers on the pedals during critical stages. I had to yell at him about it.

I used to keep my 9" tablet EFB clipped to a yoke mount, but it's just too clumsy and has to be perfectly adjusted not to partially obscure the flight instruments. Now I put a silicone cover on it to make it non-slip and keep it on my lap. I can pick it up to eye level to read off approach chart info or check the map and NEXRAD picture. I can also easily hand it to a passenger or copilot and get rid of it when needed.

Yoke mounts have to be carefully placed not to interfere with pitch, and sometimes roll input freedom.

I use an iPad in Ram mount attached to the Bonanza yoke bar. Works great. I tried putting it over the pilots yoke but I didn’t like it being there. plus my passengers like to see what’s on the screen.

To each his own. I like my ipad on my yoke in my 195. In my Bo, I mounted it on the arm next to the yoke, just like the previous poster. My main ctiteria was to not obscure the instruments and landing gear position lights, etc.

I used to keep my 9" tablet EFB clipped to a yoke mount, but it's just too clumsy and has to be perfectly adjusted not to partially obscure the flight instruments. Now I put a silicone cover on it to make it non-slip and keep it on my lap. I can pick it up to eye level to read off approach chart info or check the map and NEXRAD picture. I can also easily hand it to a passenger or copilot and get rid of it when needed.

Yoke mounts have to be carefully placed not to interfere with pitch, and sometimes roll input freedom.
Ditto on that, except that there was no way to keep it from partially obscuring something (it's an iPad 2). So I, too, keep it on my lap when using it, otherwise hand it off or put it on the empty right seat.

Ditto on that, except that there was no way to keep it from partially obscuring something (it's an iPad 2). So I, too, keep it on my lap when using it, otherwise hand it off or put it on the empty right seat.

An option I have is a windshield bow bracket mount (mine is made of stout aluminum) but I have my Aera 510 mounted there in a ship's power and data connector. It is my backup GPS and synchronizes with my GNS-430W, plus it gets XM-WX. So it stays for now. Otherwise, I would fabricate a tablet mount there. This position does not obscure the panel and is almost eye level, which is nice.

forget gadgets, my passengers cant seem to understand and follow the command - that pedal looking thingy is NOT YOUR FOOTREST

it's not just a footrest, it has a built in massage function too!

172K - 2 Ipad minis fit just fine, Pilot and Co. They fit beween the horns in the long side up position using Ram mounts down low enough not to obscure anything or bash anything. In a 172 high speed maneuvering (or anything) is just not in the cards. If things get real with the controls.... land it with the doors and throttle :)
And I don't miss the chart madness (USAF Navigator) and truly enjoy flying with the tools of today. ( I do wish they had not killed my Loran tho)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back