Things a student pilot likes to hear his(or her) CFI say

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
among the many:

- hey, can I give you a free lesson today?
- forget about the rental plane today, we'll take my Bo/Mooney/Saratoga/etc.
- sorry, I can't make it today but in my place I'm sending Ginger. She's a part time CFI, you know, when she's not stripping.

as well as:

http://youtu.be/F5nB6NecuwI

what else?

"I'm going to give you, your sign off for the checkride! "

"I'm sorry I am a huge douche"

I don't like it when he said anything because it was usually criticizing...a quiet CFI is a happy CFI. :)

The first few flights with my CFI he kept telling me he couldn't believe I had never flown before. That was a pretty big ego boost. :D

The first few flights with my CFI he kept telling me he couldn't believe I had never flown before. That was a pretty big ego boost. :D

Yup, that's got to be better than mine...the first few flights he kept telling me that he couldn't believe that I'd ever learn to fly...

Truth from my flight training...

Me (on discovery flight): "What happens if the engine quits?"
CFI: "You fly the plane."

Me (on 2nd or 3rd flight): "What if the alternator or vacuum quit?"
CFI: "You just fly the plane."

Me (on 6th lesson or so): "I know you're not supposed to turn back, but there are very few outs from our home base if the big fan stops spinning on departure."
CFI: "Well, in that case, you just fly the plane."

...after my first in-flight emergency (while on my last solo before checkride):
CFI: "so what exactly happened up there?"
Me: "Well...I just flew the plane."

seems to be the best advice I've gotten to date :)

The usual would have worked for me.
Good work.
Nice landing.
You did good on that approach...
Unfortunately my instructor was not very much talkative which at time was good, and rarely gave complements(thought maybe it was my crappy flying, but evidently she is just that way). Usually her comments were how I could do things better, and you know, I learned a lot that way.

Better to have constructive criticism, than empty compliments.

"The ILS must be broken. The needles aren't moving."

Truth from my flight training...

Me (on discovery flight): "What happens if the engine quits?"
CFI: "You fly the plane."

Me (on 2nd or 3rd flight): "What if the alternator or vacuum quit?"
CFI: "You just fly the plane."

Me (on 6th lesson or so): "I know you're not supposed to turn back, but there are very few outs from our home base if the big fan stops spinning on departure."
CFI: "Well, in that case, you just fly the plane."

...after my first in-flight emergency (while on my last solo before checkride):
CFI: "so what exactly happened up there?"
Me: "Well...I just flew the plane."

seems to be the best advice I've gotten to date :)

First thing I did after I had mine was call my CFIs and thank them.

"The ILS must be broken. The needles aren't moving."
i had a similar one when doing an ILS on my IFR checkout to rent at a new FBO (where I work now): "You're a private pilot doing a basic checkout... Why are you trying to show up our ATP students???"

Sadly, not at that level anymore...

"..... Don't worry this plane has really strong landing gear."

Coolest thing I heard from my CFI was during the last hours of checkride prep. He said that his final "gut" check for the signoff was whether or not he would put his family in the plane with me. He told me that I was flying as well as he'd seen me fly and would have no problem with me flying his family around.

That was a huge confidence bump and it really stuck with me.

Better to have constructive criticism, than empty compliments.

I never give "empty compliments", but I try to give positive encouragement as often as I can by pointing out the areas in which my students ARE making progress, even when it's small progress.

I tell them that I grade their landings (regarding survivability of plane for further use) based on the same scale as NFL player availability for next week's game. "Possible" and "Probable" are about as good as they can expect. ;)
I never give "empty compliments", but I try to give positive encouragement as often as I can by pointing out the areas in which my students ARE making progress, even when it's small progress.

Had a good one the other day after doing steep turns. "Everything looked good during that turn but you crept up a bit during the turn. Wait, we started at 3100 didn't we? In that case everything was dead on!"

i had a similar one when doing an ILS on my IFR checkout to rent at a new FBO (where I work now): "You're a private pilot doing a basic checkout... Why are you trying to show up our ATP students???"

Sadly, not at that level anymore...
My original CFII and I were doing approaches, and I loved most of my instrument training... I was excited to get that rating.. he would aways say "I can really tell you like this instrument stuff. your'e so into it." To this day I can get in an airplane legally current and shoot an ILS without flying for a month or more. Granted, I don't do it in actual, but instrument flying is the type of flying I'm good at. My CFI was shocked, he hates flying instruments.

Coolest thing I heard from my CFI was during the last hours of checkride prep. He said that his final "gut" check for the signoff was whether or not he would put his family in the plane with me. He told me that I was flying as well as he'd seen me fly and would have no problem with me flying his family around.

That was a huge confidence bump and it really stuck with me.

:)

I have a similar story actually. A group of us (3, 4 airplanes) were planning a trip to Lake Havasu City, a couple hour flight. I was the only one instrument rated of the group, so I got an IFR brief. When I got it I expected to be in the soup most of the way. My friends were going VFR and all was well until we decided one more brief wouldn't hurt (the weather was not good by Arizona standards). Sure enough "VFR not recommend" and "Probable moderate icing" along our route :eek: The chief CFI (we had all taken our checkrides from him) came up to us and said "I'd fly with any of you." my friend jokingly said "But you'd have to be in the back seat, all the fronts are accounted for!" he replied with "That's fine with me. I gave you all your tickets, I'd fly with any of you." Awwwhhhhhh.

"I see that your socks match today."

Let's take a ride in the Citation.

Hmm.

amava9eb.jpg

My original CFII and I were doing approaches, and I loved most of my instrument training... I was excited to get that rating.. he would aways say "I can really tell you like this instrument stuff. your'e so into it." To this day I can get in an airplane legally current and shoot an ILS without flying for a month or more. Granted, I don't do it in actual, but instrument flying is the type of flying I'm good at. My CFI was shocked, he hates flying instruments.

:)

I have a similar story actually. A group of us (3, 4 airplanes) were planning a trip to Lake Havasu City, a couple hour flight. I was the only one instrument rated of the group, so I got an IFR brief. When I got it I expected to be in the soup most of the way. My friends were going VFR and all was well until we decided one more brief wouldn't hurt (the weather was not good by Arizona standards). Sure enough "VFR not recommend" and "Probable moderate icing" along our route :eek: The chief CFI (we had all taken our checkrides from him) came up to us and said "I'd fly with any of you." my friend jokingly said "But you'd have to be in the back seat, all the fronts are accounted for!" he replied with "That's fine with me. I gave you all your tickets, I'd fly with any of you." Awwwhhhhhh.

I was the same way. I loved and excelled at Instrument training. Chandelles and Lazy 8s for the CSEL and CFI? Ehh..let's just say I got through them:D

on my first flight with my instructor a few years ago, we had a pretty good cross wind, but he let me attempt to land. after, he said he was impressed at how i crabbed into the wind and executed a nice cross wind landing/technique with his help of course. i just shook my head and smiled. i had no idea what crabbing into to the wind meant but i just went with it

Hey, my buddy has me exercising his Bonanza this month. Want to come along for a ride?

(I want a Bonanza now)

I was very proud when after I had gotten my ticket my CFIG asked if he could stick one of his students in with me to watch my landing. :D

Me talking to my MEI the other day: "So I feel that I'm at least getting close to the commercial knowledge level. What say you?"

MEI: "No, you're pretty far from it. More like above ATP level."

I did go on to practice my budding CFI skills by teaching and quizzing an ATP student who just passed his ride. Now if I could just get my practical skills up a couple levels...

Back