The Wright Flyer

NotarPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NotarPilot
Let’s pretend Wilbur Wright needed to be certificated prior to flying the Wright Flyer. Question is, would he have needed a single engine or multi engine rating? It had one engine but two propellers.

Since there was no way to demonstrate OEI maneuvers, he would not be able to pass the multi checkride. So he would just have a type rating and SEL.

The real question is where would he find a DER to sign off on his Experimental homebuilt.

The brothers should have glider ratings as well. We have some pilot certificates by Orv and Wil as representatives of the FAI at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.

Does anyone know Ken Hyde, the retired American pilot? He flew the replica in 2003.

Of course, he would have all the relevant ratings, so there wouldn't be a question.

No airworthiness certificate no sign off. Heck, they wouldn’t have taken off for a bfr or initial check ride

Part 103. No rating required.
Too heavy for 103 at 605 lbs empty weight.

But a multi engine rating is required when you have multiple engines, it says nothing about multiple propellers. Though you don't need a multi rating to fly solo in a multi engine experimental...

Soloy in Olympia Washington tried to get the dual-pack to catch on in the caravan. It was two turbine motors connected to a single propeller. Maybe it would be a multi engine rating with an inline thrust restriction?

I’ve got a piece of fabric from the Wright Flyer…at least that’s what Ron Cole claims. ;)

IMG_8283.jpeg

Was in DC with the family a few years ago and we waited in line for the air and space museum there on the mall. It had been many years since I'd been there. My memory was how great that place was....but this time around I realized just how small it it and how little there really is in there.... The only exhibit I spent serious time studying was the wright flyer.... and that I think was mainly because the rope was close so I could get close enough to really study it. I spent a long time in there while the family was strolling through the many "little kid" activities, and other displays

So would the Wright Flyer be a single engine rating with a symmetric thrust restriction?
So was both props driven by a single chain or were there two chains? I think the latter. That being the case, you could have a chain break and have an asymmetrical thrust issue just like a twin.

I wonder how the FAA would deal with that.

I definitely agree that the rating says “multi engine” and not multi propeller but what happens if o e of those chains break, like the gentleman said?

Let’s pretend Wilbur Wright needed to be certificated prior to flying the Wright Flyer. Question is, would he have needed a single engine or multi engine rating? It had one engine but two propellers.
Accidentally or with purpose they had counter rotation props.

A broken chain could lead to differential thrust, so they'd want the ME skills even if they weren't required.

Can you really call the output from the wright flyer “thrust”? Lol /jk

A broken chain could lead to differential thrust, so they'd want the ME skills even if they weren't required.

What skills? Can't feather the prop. All you can do is add rudder and crash.

Was in DC with the family a few years ago and we waited in line for the air and space museum there on the mall. It had been many years since I'd been there. My memory was how great that place was....but this time around I realized just how small it it and how little there really is in there.... The only exhibit I spent serious time studying was the wright flyer.... and that I think was mainly because the rope was close so I could get close enough to really study it. I spent a long time in there while the family was strolling through the many "little kid" activities, and other displays
FWIW- the NASM on the mall has been undergoing renovations for the last several years and opens sporadically with only a small fraction of the exhibits open. I caution people to avoid it until after the museum fully reopens with all of the exhibits. But for plane lovers, Udvar Hazy is the place to be.

I think it has fully reopened.

The east wing is still closed. according to their website:

The museum has been undergoing a seven-year renovation that began in 2018 and includes redesigning all 23 exhibitions and presentation spaces, complete refacing of the exterior cladding, replacement of outdated mechanical systems and other repairs and improvements. The entire project is expected to be complete in 2025.

The College Park museum (CGS, oldest continuously operated airport) had a "simulator" of the flyer - the seat and flight controls were "real" - I can't recall how much structure surrounded it - but it was a bear to fly.

Back