The Weather Experiment...a good book

bobmrg

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Gardner
Not a word about METARs or Skew-Ts, this book is for people serious about learning how today's weather observing, measuring, and prediction system came about. Starts w-a-a-a-a-y back when early man stopped thinking that storms were caused by angry gods and moves forward through the development of measuring devices, observing devices, means of communicating weather data, etc. Fascinating.

Bob Gardner

Who wrote it and where can it be found? I am terrible with weather, I need some help.

The Weather Experiment: The Pioneers Who Sought to See the Future
By Peter Moore. About $15 on Amazon Prime, paper or Kindle.

Thanks for the tip, Bob!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Weather *isn't* caused by angry gods?

Well, wasn't Hurricane Katrina deemed by some xtian leaders to be god's punishment for NOLA due to their wicked ways? :dunno:

I was pretty sure that was created by Bush and his secret weather weapon invented by Al Gore.

Who wrote it and where can it be found? I am terrible with weather, I need some help.

For your purposes I recommend "The Weather Book" by Jack Williams (USA Today weather editor) and/or "Flying America's Weather" by AOPA's Tom Horne, published by ASA. Actually, a few moments with your favorite search engine will come up with dozens of books on aviation weather.

Bob

Back